ARE YOU KIDDING ME CSISD ?

17,314 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 4lilmonkeys
SARATOGA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One calendar option reasonable.

The other calendar option is mind-numbingly foolish.

Lets go foolish ! - CSISD

An absolute slap in the face to the working parent. Develop your staff over the summer on your own time.

Let me help with your calendar:

The day after Labor Day to Memorial Day.
Week at Thanksgiving
2 Weeks at Xmas
Week at Spring Break
Every other non-weekend day should be a school day.

Starting school August 15th, lengthening the school year for all these random days off is ridiculous ! The tax paying parents should be the only votes that matter on setting school calendars !

91_Aggie
AG
SARATOGA said:

The tax paying parents should be the only votes that matter on setting school calendars !

Your argument would make more sense if it didn't fly in the face of facts:

Quote:

The College Station school district's 2019-2020 school year calendar was unanimously approved at Tuesday night's school board meeting.

Board members and administrators acknowledged a burden for working parents having to provide child care.

That was noted in the vote of elementary school parents, where 835 (or 51.9%) favored the option that was adopted, compared to 775 (or 48.1%) who voted for the other option.

The adopted calendar was supported by 55.5% percent of parents of CSISD intermediate students, 59.1% of the parents of middle school students, and 58.1% of the parents of high school students.

CSISD teachers overwhelmingly supported the adopted calendar, by a margin of 471 to 86 (or 84.6% to 15.4%).
So did other CSISD employees, by a margin of 233 to 49 (or 82.6% to 17.4%)

About one percent of CSISD students also participated in the online survey. The adopted calendar was supported by a margin of 100 to 34 (or 74.6% to 25.4%)

If the parents are the only vote that matters then the bolded section above seems to indicate that the will of the people was held up by the School Board.
SARATOGA
So it would seem that as the children are older and able to stay home and care for themselves, the parents would rather have longer holiday breaks ? That is fine. I see their point of view. Makes sense.

But as you said above, the elementary kids parents were the least in favor of the extended school year calendar as they have to take off work and/or arrange daycare for the elementary age kids (obviously me).

Still that is an awful short summer !

We could have BOTH long holiday vacations and long summer vacations if they did all the "staff development days" in the summer, and went to school on days like Veterans Day, Columbus Day, MLK day, and Presidents Day. See my proposed calendar. (To meet state law that also might have to extend the school day by 32 minutes)
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
What's the new calendar?
91_Aggie
AG
So, if it's a burden for working parents to have to deal with Childcare when there is no school, but then you say "That's an awfully short summer"

Short summer = less childcare to pay for in the summer.
cslifer
Parents voted for the schedule they wanted and the board approved it, sounds like things are working the way they are supposed to. Additionally, I take serious issue with the fact OP seems to think the school district is there for child care. School is there for education and related activities, our tax dollars are not to provide your childcare. And for the record, both my wife and I are working parents, have young children and voted for the other schedule. [Edit]
ETA: you want to have a different calendar AND change the times to make things work for your schedule? Please tell me you are trolling

[This is the last post of yours that we will edit for being insulting toward other posters without removing the entire post and giving you a ban. -Staff]
nought
AG
[We are very strict on this board about being respectful when giving opinions and taking shots at teachers is not going to be allowed. -Staff]
nought
AG
cslifer said:

Parents voted for the schedule they wanted ...
This was in no way a scientifically-accurate poll or voting process. Only parents who were aware of the survey and chose to take it did so. This is classic selection bias. The results are basically meaningless.

Also, who do you think the least likely people to vote were? The ones where there is a single parent, perhaps lower-income, or two working parents, who are more likely to end up having to lose income by taking days off (or cutting it close by leaving kids alone younger than they should) due to all the nice days the staff have off during the year.

And before you argue with me that Staff Vacation Development Days are work days and not days off for staff, drive by the school staff parking lots on those days and tell me if you need to use your toes in addition to your fingers to count the number of cars at any given time.
91_Aggie
AG

[We have warned you repeatedly about giving your opinion on this board in a respectful manner. -Staff]

cslifer
Of course you have to be aware of it to vote for it, by being involved in your kids education and staying update on what is going on with the schools you would be aware of it. If someone can't spend a few minutes a week doing that I seriously doubt they would have voted anyway.
Second, why are you assuming that certain groups wouldn't have voted? It was a simple online survey, it isn't like you have to take off work to go vote.
So far as the staff work days go, just because every teacher isn't in their assigned parking spot doesn't mean anything. I know that sometimes they rotate meetings (1st/2nd grade in the morning, 3rd/4th afternoon) or all meet for training in one place.
CS_Aggie
The poll results are completely meaningless and the board should stop using biased, unscientific polls as the basis for their decision making. It's pathetic. Sadly the families who will be most adversely affected by the board's adoption of this calendar are clearly the least likely to have the time or means to participate in the poll. I guess what disgusts me most is that the board is comprised of a bunch of blow-hards who claim to be looking out for the little guy, particularly the economically disadvantaged. Then they use a meaningless, biased "poll" as basis for approving a calendar that hurts families in our district who are economically disadvantaged more than anyone else. Those of you on here who are excited about the calendar and/or hurling insults about "school is not daycare" should try to walk in the shoes of the families in our district who live paycheck to paycheck. Take a step back for a change and think of other people who are struggling to get by. Bottom line is that the CSISD board has shown once again they have no regard for the families in the district who are struggling the most.
cslifer
It isn't an insult, it is the truth, school isn't a daycare. I cannot find any definition of "school" that includes "to look after kids while parents are at work so they don't have to hire a babysitter".
If you don't like the "unscientific polls", how do you propose they gather people's opinions? Put it on a ballot during an actual election?
And please explain how the poll was "biased", it had calendars and you chose one.
nought
AG

I understand how teachers are paid. I also see what the school staff parking lots look like on staff development days. They don't look the same as they do on regular school days.

Even so, if you read my earlier post, I didn't take away any of those development days. I just moved them around a bit to give the kids a bit longer summer and a more regular school 9-month (not 9.5 month) schedule.
cslifer
Of course it looks different. You don't have parents, volunteers, visitors, students, kitchen staff ect there. If all you have is that the parking lot looks kind of empty as your argument I would just drop it.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Calendar mentioned:

http://collegestationisd.ss19.sharpschool.com/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=10055755

The only thing I wish is that they would increase their kids klub capacity -- my son is #21 on a waitlist at his school right now.
CS_Aggie
At a time when the board approves a calendar that hurts so many of the most disadvantaged families in the district and at a time when parents of high school students are being asked to bring proof of residence to school in preparation for the big shuffle of students all over town to different high schools next fall, what is with the obviously coordinated effort across many CSISD campuses to post "We love the CSISD school board" messages on marquis in front of multiple schools?? It's manufactured and it's nauseating. Who mandated this messaging? Did it come from Ealy? What's-his-name, the president of the board? How sad that our schools are doing the bidding of higher ups who want to promote a politically elected group of individuals and portray that the school board is "loved" by the community at large, at a time when we're all being reminded of how the board has divided our community again and again and continues to trample on those who are the "least" among us.
AggieMom_38
I saw those popping up too. Such a slap in the face to the kids being forced to switch schools - that reality is setting in due to the new "verification of residency" process the admin (or board?) has now implemented to check on everyone.

I hear it's school board appreciation month (we certainly have a month for everything!), but not sure what we are thanking the trustees for at this point (the new calendar?) given the challenges about to hit a bunch of Freshman kids at both high schools. Wish the admin or board or whoever is behind the celebration of our board would be a bit more sensitive and not throw salt in that wound.

edit: typo
Oogway
Anyone remember back in the day when CSISD used to start around mid-August because they would apply for an early start waiver (before the waterpark lobby had the law changed)?

doubledog
91_Aggie said:

So, if it's a burden for working parents to have to deal with Childcare when there is no school, but then you say "That's an awfully short summer"

School =/= child care.
BCSWguru
school = child care
befitter
Here we go....School Board made a decision they have to make one way or another....had parents and staff VOTE....and then chose the winning option.

Clearly they did this to hurt people.

SMH.
techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

SARATOGA said:

The tax paying parents should be the only votes that matter on setting school calendars !

Your argument would make more sense if it didn't fly in the face of facts:

Quote:

The College Station school district's 2019-2020 school year calendar was unanimously approved at Tuesday night's school board meeting.

Board members and administrators acknowledged a burden for working parents having to provide child care.

That was noted in the vote of elementary school parents, where 835 (or 51.9%) favored the option that was adopted, compared to 775 (or 48.1%) who voted for the other option.

The adopted calendar was supported by 55.5% percent of parents of CSISD intermediate students, 59.1% of the parents of middle school students, and 58.1% of the parents of high school students.

CSISD teachers overwhelmingly supported the adopted calendar, by a margin of 471 to 86 (or 84.6% to 15.4%).
So did other CSISD employees, by a margin of 233 to 49 (or 82.6% to 17.4%)

About one percent of CSISD students also participated in the online survey. The adopted calendar was supported by a margin of 100 to 34 (or 74.6% to 25.4%)

If the parents are the only vote that matters then the bolded section above seems to indicate that the will of the people was held up by the School Board.

Looks like they put it to a vote and are going with the results. I suggest anyone who doesn't like it should consider voting next year.
Gigemchicken90
AG
Parents of high school kids often don't care about the start time because their kids start back in mid-July or early August depending on which fall extracurricular event they participate.
Turf96
Way I see it in this case it is a no win situation. Some will like and some will hate it. With all of the things the board and administration have done over last couple of years a lot of distrust exsists within the community; maybe more than any community I have ever lived. It will take time to heal and many good faith efforts to speed this up.

For those that say get out and vote I think that happened the last round if I remember right. Hope the next round more of same to achieve balance for the whole district. The last high school rezone felt more like living in Russia than College Station. Never thought I would ever hear a school trustee tell kids they were not people but just a number to him.

As for the signs I had no idea why they were up and made me scratch my head as well. Kind of one of the unspoken things you think happens. Seemed directed and less sincere when they all popped up at same time. Not sure the message came across as genuine to many as they had wanted. I heard about them at church as well.

I hope we can heal as a school district. Not sure it will happen any time soon. Maybe we should go back to being less like our government and doing what is best not what small groups want. Using balance as an excuse to disrupt a bunch of kids while all trying to appease a neighborhood has backfired badly. I hope in 24 months I can say thanks to board but at this time the jury still remain out on this group.
91_Aggie
AG
nought said:

I understand how teachers are paid. I also see what the school staff parking lots look like on staff development days. They don't look the same as they do on regular school days.

Even so, if you read my earlier post, I didn't take away any of those development days. I just moved them around a bit to give the kids a bit longer summer and a more regular school 9-month (not 9.5 month) schedule.
that's completely anecdotal data... as others have pointed out, there's more than teachers that park in those parking lots on a regular work day.

And your quick count as you drive by is just not accurate.

I can tell you 100% that those staff development days are NOT vacation days for teachers.
They do real work on those days.

[The snide remarks aren't needed or wanted on this forum and this is that last one that we are going edit without a ban. -Staff]
91_Aggie
AG
doubledog said:

91_Aggie said:

School =/= child care.
Not exactly sure what your comment is here is about.
Person I was responding to was complaining about the burden of child care needed when there were school holidays and/or staff development days, i.e. school is not in session and kid can't stay home by themselves.

But then same person in same post said "That summer sure is short". By that logic if the concern is paying for more childcare because kid can't stay home by themselves, then a short summer means the parent doesn't have to pay for childcare during that "shorter part of summer".

SARATOGA
I know school isn't daycare, but there should be consistency to a reasonable schedule. Lots of people in this town work for the University, and are used to running lives by REASONABLE school calendars. But many elementary kids have 20 days off throughout the year that the working parent doesn't. And the kids have a 3 day weekend every 3rd weekend practically. Staff development (VACATION) days should happen in the summer. If A&M doesn't take the day off, neither should the other schools. Summer is a separate issue, people are used to arranging for summer.

Did anyone even look at my proposed school calendar ? It is fantastic.

Also, this isn't a zoning thread. That is another issue (and another example of our head in the sand school board). I've proposed everyone goes to the school closest to them, build schools where the people are (HINT: the SOUTH), and divide the SES kids EQUALLY among the schools. This is not hard. Not sure why we continually are forced to accept choices of several bad options without ever looking outside the box to obvious common sense solutions.

Wicked Good Ag
What is the major issue people are having ??

We got a couple of "five day vacation" possibilities for families to make a solid trip during the school year and we added a couple of days at the beginning of school. Starting on a Thursday seems a bit weird but that also gives teachers two days to get general rules and procedures out of the way and start focusing on actual teaching come Monday
cslifer
How can you seriously argue that "if A&M doesn't get the day off the school district shouldn't either"? I hope that you realize that TAMU students start and finish their semesters at significantly different times than the ISDs.
Your schedule you came up with would require lengthening the school day by your own admission. Why should my kids have a longer school day simply because you don't like the schedule?
It comes down to the fact that the district asked for input, they received input from those that chose to give it, and they acted on the information they were given. I know it is fun to kick the school board but seriously what do you want them to do?
Lastly, get over the teacher work day is vacation thing. Seriously, please stop, it just sounds ignorant. We all know it is for work, training and parent teacher conferences.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

How can you seriously argue that "if A&M doesn't get the day off the school district shouldn't either"? I hope that you realize that TAMU students start and finish their semesters at significantly different times than the ISDs.
Agree. This is a terrible, terrible argument to make.
montegobay
Please spend one day with a local teacher during one of those inservice days, and I promise you will say that it is the least like vacation day you've ever spent.
At the end of November, CSISD proactively sent out an email to parents that included a link to ta survey about the calendar options they were considering. Here is the email:

Dear CSISD Parents/Guardians:
During the fall semester, two calendar options for the 2019-2020 school year have been developed by the District Education Improvement Council (DEIC).
Please take a few moments to study the calendars at the following link, then select one of the options by completing the survey. This survey will be accessible through Friday, December 14, 2018.
LINK: Calendar Survey
or
https://survey.csisd.org/index.php/157994?lang=en
DEIC will process the feedback submitted online and make a recommendation to the Board of Trustees in January.
halibut sinclair
[You should have added to the conversation instead of restating a post that did not and was only made to insult people on this board. -Staff]
CollegeStationMaid
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

Agree. This is a terrible, terrible argument to make.

Horrible argument!

CSISD sent the calendar vote email to all parents. You had the option to vote like the rest of us.

I support the calendar that was chosen. My husband and I support this option and both of us are working parents. Our family likes to take vacation in fall/winter so it's a better option for us.
ShinerBlonde
AG
I don't like the calendar. I agree with the OP that the number of days off during the school year seems excessive. Yes, I voted. I accept that we are the minority and our opinion doesn't matter to those who want to vacation in Oct, Feb or April instead of Nov, December, January, March, June, July or August. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.