ARE YOU KIDDING ME CSISD ?

17,308 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 4lilmonkeys
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weren't there 3 options last year? How is there not a start early end early option? And what is wrong with basically what this years calendar was?
SARATOGA
Quote:

And what is wrong with basically what this years calendar was?

THIS. This last years calendar was fine. Why the upheaval ?

This last year started August 25th, and there still was a week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Xmas, and a week at Spring Break. So for the new calendar days have been added somewhere. I'm not looking to see when they get out for summer, but I can tell you last year that the homework assignments stopped at the end of April, and May was full of movies, field trips and coasting to the finish. But I supposed actually using the time they are there for actual instruction is another discussion. My larger point is that the "school year" could be much shorter if they cut out the fluff and worked continuously while there. If someone wanted to propose year round school I'd listen to that too........ But then the "school is not daycare" people would come rumbling back I'm sure.....

I can't speak to junior high or high school teachers time and effort spent, because I only have elementary age children. But from what I've see in elementary, the teachers/administrators are in the building about 40 hours a week, and they do get vacation days, sick days etc. One of our teachers sent a "I'm going on vacation" email earlier in the year. I'm sure high school teachers do lots more, but I'm guessing they get paid more than elementary teachers.

I'm just asking questions to create dialogue around a topic. There are a lot of smart people in this town. Reasonable answers can be found with out of the box thinking, which was what I'm encouraging.
gettingitdone
My daughter is a 2nd grade teacher in the Allen school district and I can promise you she works way more than 40 hours a week.
nwspmp
Quote:

But from what I've see in elementary, the teachers/administrators are in the building about 40 hours a week, and they do get vacation days, sick days etc.
And that's at highest 2/3 of the time they actually work to effect what's needed. Paper grading, lesson planning, and any other needs are typically NOT done on campus, as the distractions are much greater. Teachers don't punch the clock out and hit the bar on the way home (well, 99% don't; some days, well...) they're simply going to multi-task at home while getting their personal items done.

If you were to actually see the life of a teacher for a week, that whole horrible take on their work-time would be shattered.
cslifer
Why would you entertain the idea of year round school? Wouldn't that fly in the face of your "follow the TAMU schedule" argument?
Wicked Good Ag
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

And what is wrong with basically what this years calendar was?

THIS. This last years calendar was fine. Why the upheaval ?

This last year started August 25th, and there still was a week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Xmas, and a week at Spring Break. So for the new calendar days have been added somewhere. I'm not looking to see when they get out for summer, but I can tell you last year that the homework assignments stopped at the end of April, and May was full of movies, field trips and coasting to the finish. But I supposed actually using the time they are there for actual instruction is another discussion. My larger point is that the "school year" could be much shorter if they cut out the fluff and worked continuously while there. If someone wanted to propose year round school I'd listen to that too........ But then the "school is not daycare" people would come rumbling back I'm sure.....

I can't speak to junior high or high school teachers time and effort spent, because I only have elementary age children. But from what I've see in elementary, the teachers/administrators are in the building about 40 hours a week, and they do get vacation days, sick days etc. One of our teachers sent a "I'm going on vacation" email earlier in the year. I'm sure high school teachers do lots more, but I'm guessing they get paid more than elementary teachers.

I'm just asking questions to create dialogue around a topic. There are a lot of smart people in this town. Reasonable answers can be found with out of the box thinking, which was what I'm encouraging.

What?? This years schedule started on the 20th not the 25th and included a week off for Thankgiving for the first time not the year before that. Also this year is starting on the 15th but that is only two days earlier than THIS year with the weekend in between.

And to pile on you have no clue what teachers do on or off campus at any level of the public education system
Oogway
Perhaps we need a "take a parent to work" day where we all shadow each other's jobs and every time we see someone spending time not actually doing work related tasks we can all run here and post about it.

It's a little like when my children were younger and would run into a teacher, minister, etc at the grocery store and would be bewildered that the adult actually had a life outside of the school/church/sports field.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Lack of homework does not mean instruction stops. I have never believed in much homework. Use the class time effectively and most work can be done at school for the students. I promise you that high school does not 'stop' two months early. It does go into MAJOR testing mode though.

May 6-May 17 there are AP tests in a plethora of subjects, sometimes two a day.
May 3-May 24, IB testing and essays in another plethora of subjects, again sometimes two a day.

Staar EOC May 6-10.

Normally it is almost impossible to have regular instruction during these testing dates. Students are out testings, rooms are used for testing and classes relocated, teachers are pulled to administer tests and subs cover classes. So if you see less homework in May, it is because May is the month for evaluatons.

Elementary and middle schools have testing also, although I am not familiar with the dates.
Fleen
Oogway said:

Perhaps we need a "take a parent to work" day where we all shadow each other's jobs and every time we see someone spending time not actually doing work related tasks we can all run here and post about it.

It's a little like when my children were younger and would run into a teacher, minister, etc at the grocery store and would be bewildered that the adult actually had a life outside of the school/church/sports field.

Please God, make this a thing...
91_Aggie
AG
I think Saratoga just needs to ask ALL of his/her teacher friends "So, since you only work 40 hours a week, are you happy with your pay?"
and see how they respond.

There are three possible answers:
1) Saratoga really has no teacher friends
2) Saratoga has no idea how many hours his/her friends work
3) Saratoga has some of the worst teachers ever as his/her friends.

4lilmonkeys
Oogway said:

Went to an incoming 7th/8th grade informational meeting at CSMS last night. Started at 7:00, presentation was given by the counselor with administrators present. We were then ushered into the gym so students could look at options for electives. Each booth was managed by at least one teacher/coach that fielded questions from parents well past 8:00pm.

It was 8:30 when we got home. The gym was still full when we left.

It doesn't take a genius to recognize how often our teachers go the extra mile for our kids. How many times they stay late, miss their own family events, look out for the troubled kids, etc. The disrespect in this thread toward CSISD is just incredible. Some of you have NO idea how good you actually have it here.

SMH.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.