Bryan City Council Reverses Direction And Will Pursue City Initiated Annexation

10,011 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GSS said:

Annexation plan
The link from the first post is very helpful.

The "Alternative 2" RELLIS area would extend west down Hwy 21 to the Little Brazos River. That the CoB would be able to provide anything akin to city services is simply not going to happen (history proves that). As mentioned earlier, crazy city limit maps are what cause the TX Legislature to clamp down on ridiculous annexations.

Annex areas that can be serviced within a reasonable time, alone (CoB), or with developers. Proceed prudently, not because "we can". That paid consultant may be worth listening to...

I think the purpose in this instance is not so much to provide city services to rural land owners. It's to provide a fire station for RELLIS and to have a stronger say in the expected development around there. It's a good move by the city.
GSS
Is there a legal time limit within which a city is required to provide services to annexed areas?

"Yes, under Chapter 43.056 of the Texas Local Government Code, the City is required to provide most city services (police protection, fire protection, solid waste collection, operation and maintenance of roads and streets, and access to city-owned recreation facilities and parks) immediately upon annexation. The City is also required to prepare a service plan to provide for the extension of municipal services to the area being annexed. The City will strive to provide services at a level of service similar to that which the City currently extends to any other similarly situated areas already within the City (based generally on characteristics of topography, land use, and population density).

In instances where services are deemed to be below an acceptable level of service ("below acceptable" being less than the level of services currently provided to any other similarly situated area already within the city), those services should be provided by the City within 2 years after the effective annexation date, unless it is determined that 2 years is not a reasonable period of time to provide services. If services cannot reasonably be provided within 2 years, the City must prepare a plan to provide such services within 4 years with any capital improvements being "substantially complete" by the end of that 4 year time frame. "

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
TxFig
AG
agnerd said:

They should be required to extend water, sanitary, and fire and police service out to an area BEFORE being able to annex it.

As well as "city ordained monopolies".

ie. Suddenlink
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
TxFig
AG
GSS said:

Has anyone stated they were "anti-growth"? Or has it simply been pointed out that cities often do not have a plan to provide what is legally required for annexed areas? And ignore paid consultations who advise against such actions?

I'll say it - I am. I moved outside the city limits because I got tired of the communist attitudes that pervade both city governments. It's my property and I don't need some yippyass "code enforcement" person barking at me.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Finding X
13 years ago I was moved to the country to get out of the city... This is just a money grab and I can tell you the people around me would vote against this if it were up for a vote.

Time to sell and move to the country .... Again....
philothea
I wish I could afford to move out again. I just moved 3 years ago to get out of the city and now they are ready to annex me.

I moved out to have my animals and now that is all threatened, including my GP dog that barks at night. He could be labeled a nuisance dog under the new animal ordinance proposed for barking all night some nights. He does that to keep the coyotes away from the sheep and chickens.

I just hope city staff and CoB realizes they are ruining people's way of life for their greedy pockets.
tb9665
With all the talk about annexation, has anyone heard of Bryan trying to annex out to Steephollow lately? There is a number of homes out that way.
Stupe
S
"Realizing" and "caring" are two different things.

The city councils of Bryan and College Station and the College Station School District realize what they do, they just don't care how it affects people.
Brewmaster
AG
tb9665 said:

With all the talk about annexation, has anyone heard of Bryan trying to annex out to Steephollow lately? There is a number of homes out that way.
sadly, I'm sure it's caught their eye. I agree with a lot here, should be up for a vote at the very least.

We pay more than we'd like in taxes in Austin's Colony and are looking to move outside of town... and hopefully not get annexed in the near future!
GSS
Bryan City Council RELLIS area land grab is on tonight's meeting agenda. Paid consultants are over-rated...

Proposed area would extend out Hwy 21 west to the Little Brazos River.....but not along Hwy 21 east toward current Bryan boundaries. Simply ridiculous in geographical outline. See the obligations required by a city for annexed areas in an earlier post, but that won't stop the cheerleaders from their "vision" (legal requirements are also over-rated).
philothea
I don't think they can go all the way along 21 to the current city limits since that would make another "hole" in the city limits like the one in North Bryan. I was told that wasn't allowed anymore. So they have to leave a section of county to connect what they aren't annexing. Due to the 99 rule they can't annex all of it in one shot.
GSS
philothea said:

I don't think they can go all the way along 21 to the current city limits since that would make another "hole" in the city limits like the one in North Bryan. I was told that wasn't allowed anymore. So they have to leave a section of county to connect what they aren't annexing. Due to the 99 rule they can't annex all of it in one shot.
No, but instead of the ridiculous plan they have, extending the limits along Hwy 21 from the existing boundaries (so services might actually occur) would get the process started toward the RELLIS area. As it is, the idea that a "fire station" near RELLIS is a big motivation will come at a high price tag for taxpayers, in an area otherwise with minimal city residents.
philothea
Ironically the basic map shown in the presentation actually looked like they were going to annex the land that the ESD#4 fire station is on. So the county volunteer fire station will be in city limits.

Is there any place online to see the agenda for the city council meeting tonight?
Aggie1205
AG
GSS said:

Is there a legal time limit within which a city is required to provide services to annexed areas?

"Yes, under Chapter 43.056 of the Texas Local Government Code, the City is required to provide most city services (police protection, fire protection, solid waste collection, operation and maintenance of roads and streets, and access to city-owned recreation facilities and parks) immediately upon annexation. The City is also required to prepare a service plan to provide for the extension of municipal services to the area being annexed. The City will strive to provide services at a level of service similar to that which the City currently extends to any other similarly situated areas already within the City (based generally on characteristics of topography, land use, and population density).

In instances where services are deemed to be below an acceptable level of service ("below acceptable" being less than the level of services currently provided to any other similarly situated area already within the city), those services should be provided by the City within 2 years after the effective annexation date, unless it is determined that 2 years is not a reasonable period of time to provide services. If services cannot reasonably be provided within 2 years, the City must prepare a plan to provide such services within 4 years with any capital improvements being "substantially complete" by the end of that 4 year time frame. "

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Why hasn't CS provided this for the Welborn area then?
UmustBKidding
College station falls back on the not all areas of of the city have that so we don't have to provide it to you. There are places within the city that do not have sewer service so they don't have to provide. Of course in the area I live the only service they could come up with that they provide that I did not have when I was annexed was code enforcement.
So my $3000+ gets me enforcement of municipal codes I largely disagree with.
Brewmaster
AG
Any additional info on us east Bryan folk? I know there is a coulter field bubble in the presentation, but not sure how far that expands.

We're looking at buying a place about 2 miles past Miramont (near Frank's). I wouldn't think there's a big tax base there, but past Frank's and out Steep Hollow there's some pockets of nice homes.
techno-ag
AG
It's a go.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bryan-moving-forward-with-RELLIS-annexation-plan-505756111.html
techno-ag
AG
Step Two is complete. P&Z was unanimous.

http://wtaw.com/2019/04/02/bryan-planning-zoning-commission-supports-city-council-first-annexation-attempt-in-20-years/
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.