Tell me about Rise Broadband

8,317 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saltydog13
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just blows my mind that I get a different answer from each tech support person I talk to, except the fact that they have absolutely no idea when it'll be fixed.
ETA: looks like it's back up and did a speed test. 60 down and 18 up. Just need reliability.
WheelinAg
AG
I've got a 50' tower in Oak Hills if you need a place for equipment
saturn135
Is there any other options southeast of Snook since The Rise is unreliable and BrazosWifi does not have a tower? Zoch Net maybe?
BrazosWifi
You might try Texas Broadband.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Firefighter7
Anyone use Viasat? I think it use to be Wild Blue. As for The Rise what is the up and down speed in Snook and will it handle security cameras and streaming Netflix?
techno-ag
AG
Firefighter7 said:

Anyone use Viasat? I think it use to be Wild Blue. As for The Rise what is the up and down speed in Snook and will it handle security cameras and streaming Netflix?
Satellite needs to be your last option, when all else fails. 4G coverage is pretty good for most basic needs. Next option is a WISP. Or reverse those two in preference, according to your needs. But way down the list is satellite, imho.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
tonytx05
AG
A little farther away, but does anyone have a recommendation for Waller/Hockley? Rise also seems to be one of the only options in that area.
JP76
After the latest outage I'm now seeing consistent 40-50% higher download speeds than before so perhaps they were doing some kind of upgrade.
Enfield
BrazosWifi said:

We regularly have customers switch over to Brazos WiFi from rise due to oversoldtowers and the data caps.

If we our signal can reach you, I can guarantee a better service without data caps.

We are closed for the weekend but I would be happy to visit with you on Monday.

Jim

That was our experience with Rise. We switched to Brazos WiFi and they've been excellent!
tfunk02
AG
I moved out to the country a couple of months ago and had to go down the rabbit hole of finding decent internet.

Brazos tried, but even though I can clearly see their tower from my roof, couldn't get a good enough signal.
CEO said I needed a huge tower due to trees.
Rise was the only one that could get a signal, but it was 5 mpbs down and 1mbps up, and their tower is the closest easiest one to connect to of the 10ish I can see. My biggest problem with them was that their latency would spike all over the place. 60ms to 600ms and there was a good amount of packet loss. I didn't have the problems other had with customer service. They gave me truly unlimited, and it only took 20 minutes to cancel the service.

I kept hunting for a better internet and finally found one on the RV forums. I got a cell phone booster and a hotspot that uses AT&T LTE service with unlimited data and no deprioritization. I'm now getting 15-45 mbps down and 10 to 80 mbps up. I've had it for a month now with no issues so far.

https://www.otrmobile.com/

The booster I got was a SureCall4Home with a yagi antenna and a dome internal antenna. I then got the refurbished nighthawk from OTO.

saltydog13
AG
Figured I'd give a little update for the folks that have Rise as the only option. They now have unlimited data with it only being slowed after 2TB. New sign up offer is $56 a month including all fees and price locked for 2 years, but without a contract. The only downside is that they charge a $150 "activation fee" if we are already under contract and want to switch to unlimited.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.