Another Century Square parking gripe, with a difference

17,005 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Oogway
MemphisAg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not philosophically opposed to paying for parking if the quality of the venue justifies it. But it needs to be hassle-free and efficient. If not, I'm moving on to somewhere else. Life is too short to get jerked around by businesses that don't have their act together. I don't care if it's the restaurant's fault, or the developer's, or whoever... makes no difference.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't understand the license plate thing. I've been there twice and not needed it? I go up to the stand, put my card in, hit an hour, swipe card and out comes a ticket. It never asks me for a license plate number?
CrazyAgE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just asking because I have only been to that area once and it was free parking....

But is parking not connected to an app like it is all around Galveston? There you can download the app on the sign that way if you need additional time you can do it from your phone, or if you make a return trip, you already have everything you need on your phone. If this isn't in place already, it may be something they might want to consider at some point in the future
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CrazyAgE said:

Just asking because I have only been to that area once and it was free parking....

But is parking not connected to an app like it is all around Galveston? There you can download the app on the sign that way if you need additional time you can do it from your phone, or if you make a return trip, you already have everything you need on your phone. If this isn't in place already, it may be something they might want to consider at some point in the future
No, it is stand alone meters placed around. The Galveston would make a lot more sense.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JMac07 said:

CrazyAgE said:

Just asking because I have only been to that area once and it was free parking....

But is parking not connected to an app like it is all around Galveston? There you can download the app on the sign that way if you need additional time you can do it from your phone, or if you make a return trip, you already have everything you need on your phone. If this isn't in place already, it may be something they might want to consider at some point in the future
No, it is stand alone meters placed around. The Galveston would make a lot more sense.
I could have sworn there was a link for an app on the bottom of the ticket. The last few times I've gone to the Square has been for a movie so I have been parking in the garage and it is validated so it has been about a month since I last looked at a dashboard ticket.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

JMac07 said:

CrazyAgE said:

Just asking because I have only been to that area once and it was free parking....

But is parking not connected to an app like it is all around Galveston? There you can download the app on the sign that way if you need additional time you can do it from your phone, or if you make a return trip, you already have everything you need on your phone. If this isn't in place already, it may be something they might want to consider at some point in the future
No, it is stand alone meters placed around. The Galveston would make a lot more sense.
I could have sworn there was a link for an app on the bottom of the ticket. The last few times I've gone to the Square has been for a movie so I have been parking in the garage and it is validated so it has been about a month since I last looked at a dashboard ticket.
I'll look next time I go. I gave my last ticket to someone else because I picked up food to go. I think this would be kind of odd because everyone else would have tickets on their dash except people who used the app. But this would definitely be better than running back and forth to the meters.
w8liftr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Isn't that state property? I'd take your complaints to the legislature, A&M President and Chancellor. The imbeciles running Century Square are tenants and subject to the landlord and lease. Enough complaints can void most leases (at least that was my experience in college- maybe slightly different for commercial leases).
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Poppy's on Friday night. People in their 40's were gathered around a parking machine, they had a hard time figuring it out. Old lady in her 70's was raising hell and I thought about this thread.

I am glad that they charge for parking; I could find a spot easily and don't mind paying a few bucks for the convenience vs showing up and not being able to find a spot.
aggiegal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We went today for the first time since parking enforcement started. The air by the pay station by Mo's and Orange Theory smelled sooooo bad, like sewage. It was not an appetizing way to begin lunch.

Also, $1 for an hour; $5 for two hours. That doesn't make any kind of sense.
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiegal99 said:

We went today for the first time since parking enforcement started. The air by the pay station by Mo's and Orange Theory smelled sooooo bad, like sewage. It was not an appetizing way to begin lunch.

Also, $1 for an hour; $5 for two hours. That doesn't make any kind of sense.


They want you to park for a meal, not to walk to engineering class then walk back.
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh and there wasn't an app mentioned on the bottom of the parking ticket that someone else mentioned. There was only a website to the parking company.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Went to Poppy's on Friday night. People in their 40's were gathered around a parking machine, they had a hard time figuring it out. Old lady in her 70's was raising hell and I thought about this thread.

Wish i could like this 1000 times.
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiegal99 said:

Also, $1 for an hour; $5 for two hours. That doesn't make any kind of sense.


Agree. Pricing seems screwy. Backwards. Not sure why they aren't incentivizing longer stays.
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are probably afraid longer stays will be people who are parking there and actually walking across to A&M instead of staying in Century Square the whole time.
Carny89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to mos sat night. I paid for a hour. Thought we would be in and out quickly. Family showed up, stayed for 3 hours. I didn't add any more time. I actually forgot about it. Can they fine someone?
Nutmegger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Their website does say they will be adding the Passport Mobile Pay App soon. Who knows when that will be though.
txgardengirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Once the app is in it will be so much easier. I have no issue paying for parking if it keeps it where there is always parking available! I actually have a pic of my license plate as a favorite pic in my phone because lots of places in other cities do parking this way.

Sleepy little College Station is getting bigger... 20+ years here and it's a mixed blessing
veritas47
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why isn't PTTS regulating parking at Century Square like they did when it was married student housing? Isn't still TAMU property?
viejo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like my solution, and I'm sticking with it. No Century Square visits for me until they do away with paid parking. I'm not missing anything I can't get elsewhere.
95_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I like my solution, and I'm sticking with it. No Century Square visits for me until they do away with paid parking. I'm not missing anything I can't get elsewhere.
More room for the rest of us
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think TAMU is starting the process to build a large parking garage directly across University from Century Square.
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Filling Century Square with Ofo yellow bikes might be the perfect Aggieland board storm.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Hopdoddy for lunch the other day, and literally had to park half a mile away...place was packed solid. Clearly the parking meters are not deterring business...or perhaps, the folks going there are not familiar with this board and it's drumbeat of complaints?
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The garage was full?
JayHowdy!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGnCS said:

Quote:

I like my solution, and I'm sticking with it. No Century Square visits for me until they do away with paid parking. I'm not missing anything I can't get elsewhere.
More room for the rest of us

I went this weekend and spent 3 hours there with my wife. Had a great dinner, walked around listening to the live music on the green, ate dessert, and looked through some of the shops. Even splurged for the $8 valet parking. If you are unwilling to enjoy a great amenity to the community because you will not spend a few bucks for parking, than that is your loss.
gopitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Century Square is a absolutely booming and will get even better as more and more shops move in. Great restaurants, movie theater, great live music. Love the place. It is the new "in" place in town. Superb for all ages.
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
are you an investor?
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds more like just another happy person, relieved that BCS is no longer the backwater it was, and willing to absorb the (very trivial) parking fees.
gopitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not an investor, just thrilled to see something exciting, new, modern, clean come to formerly sleepy Aggieland. Love all the free and diverse music venues.
Long overdue.
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gopitt said:

Century Square is a absolutely booming and will get even better as more and more shops move in. Great restaurants, movie theater, great live music. Love the place. It is the new "in" place in town. Superb for all ages.
Or you could go to downtown Bryan or Tower Point, get much the same experience, and not pay for parking.

Century Square will benefit from being near the university. But I'm not sure what it offers that can't be found elsewhere in town.

And before you accuse, I have paid for parking there.
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live by Tower Point and never seen the Moe's Hop Doddy's, Priada or Zoe's; same with downtown Bryan. Must have missed them, where are they?
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Century Square offers a unique experience for the area. When fully leased developed it will be a fantastic downtown for the university. However, I still believe they should have delayed the parking until full integration.
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lost my dog said:

gopitt said:

Century Square is a absolutely booming and will get even better as more and more shops move in. Great restaurants, movie theater, great live music. Love the place. It is the new "in" place in town. Superb for all ages.
Or you could go to downtown Bryan or Tower Point, get much the same experience, and not pay for parking.

I started this thread and am irritated about the lack of convenience with the parking situation at Century Square, but you can't compare Tower Point to it at all.

Century Square is what Tower Point should have been.

If I go to Century Square, I can eat at a nice steakhouse, hang out in a nice hotel bar and sip some whiskey while looking at a pretty pool, have my choice of several more casual yet not fast food restaurants, walk around to various shops like the King Ranch store, enjoy some candy or ice cream for the kids, and let them play in the large outdoor area.

If I go to Tower Point, I can buy groceries, get my nails done, get a cheap hair cut, buy a cell phone, get some fast food, get some dog food, buy some pool supplies, and maybe get some Chinese food. If I want to walk around to different shops, I have to walk long distances through giant parking lots with almost no green space. The parking is indeed convenient and free, however.
gopitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nought nailed it. Said it much better than I could.
But I also agree that the parking situation needs tweaking. If and when they fix that the place will be an absolute home run for the entire family.
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What and where is "Tower Point?'
Page 2 of 4
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.