Qualified Income Trust aka Miller Trust

1,175 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Red Krow
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody used a local attorney to setup a Qualified Income Trust (aka Miller Trust) for Medicaid eligibility? If so:
  • Which attorney and do you recommend them?
  • How much did they charge to set it up?
happyinBCS
Do they own any real property? Texas set up the Medicaid recovery act in 2005 and will attach a lien on it for any nursing home fees etc. I thought to receive Medicaid you could not have any net worth
BigBubba
AG
happyinBCS said:

I thought to receive Medicaid you could not have any net worth
She has nothing left. House sold 4 years ago, and all the bank accounts drained to nothing. That is why we are going Medicaid now.
happyinBCS
So why pay the expense of setting up a Miller trust?
Bucketrunner
I think the amount placed in the trust is considered a transfer of assets. A penalty would be assessed equal to the number of months the income would have paid for her care. Please don't do this unless you have checked this out.
CEAg78
AG
Jeff Harris
George Costanza
A Milller Trust deals with the income issue with Medicaid ... not the assets.

Josh Benn handles Miller Trusts and other elder law issues including Medicaid planning.
Red Krow
I would call Rod Mitchell. He specializes in wills/trusts, estate planning, and elder law. He will know the best course of action for you all to take.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.