CSISD drug testing policy

27,609 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oogway
ZFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very true & valid point Gibby.

Edit to add- I too question what is driving this and wonder (with the concern about spending/funding) if the money that would be spent on drug testing could be better utilized helping the kids that need it?
maddiedou
AG
"If you are not doing anything wrong then..."

It's how we lose our individual freedoms/rights one by one.

The school is NOT the parent of my child nor should they be. I can't control what happens or does not happen in other homes and worring about it sends one down a worm hole that never ends. All the "what if's" are exactly why we lose rights as individuals and parents.

Unintended consequences of "well intentioned" programs show up when it's too late.
nought
AG
Oogway said:

I have to admit I'm a little curious about what is driving this at the moment. Drugs and alcohol have been in the schools for a while (even oldsters like me remember drug dogs) so has there been an uptick in #s? Deciding to act in loco parentis for students who need some attention and help? What is propelling this concern at this juncture?

Edit to clarify: concern by the District, Administration, Board.
School boards, City Councils, state and national legislatures, etc. often feel this need to show that they are "doing something". You know -- they want to have an "impact", and they often want to leave a "legacy" showing just how good they were in their office.

This is how we get things like bridges to nowhere, over-funded underperforming "arts centers" and various weird art installations around town, and yes, drug testing in what has to be one of the least risky/bad school districts in the state.

How many kids drive to high schools in College Station every day? Let's say it is just 1000. I suspect it might be more. There are 180 days in a school year. That is 1000 drives to school, plus 1000 drives home from school, on each of 180 days. 2000 times 180 is 360,000. In the last year, how many times have kiddos on meth, pot, heroin, whatever, have run over another student or been in an accident? Was it 3600? That's what it would need to be to be 1% of the trips. 360? That's 0.1% of the trips. 36? That's 0.01% of the trips. 3 or 4? That's 0.001% of the trips. I haven't seen any media reports of cracked-out meth-head pot-head junkie high school kids terrorizing this town, so I'm guessing it may even be less than that 3 or 4.

This seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem.
maddiedou
AG
But if saves just one life...
tonytx05
AG
KaneIsAble said:

There are drugs on campus; you can be assured of that and prescription pill consumption would lead the pack.

I took drug tests in high school (late 90s) to be qualified for anything extracurricular and I promise you it worked and curbed the usage. No one was kicked out of school but there was a mandatory suspension of the activities you were involved with.

If you wanted to play baseball - stop smoking weed. If you wanted to sing in the choir - stop smoking week. If you were into FFA - stop smoking week.

See a trend?
I don't get it. Who are these weed smoking, choir singing, ball playing, cow herding kids hurting by smoking weed?
gibby03
AG
Well simply put I'm not here to debate big government and privacy issues and the reach that government officials should or shouldn't have. I'm not here to talk about governmental control. I'm not here to debate legalization of weed. I'm also not here to debate ill feelings toward the board and their use of budget money and the rights and wrongs of that, because that has more to do with the past month or so and other issues than this one specifically.

What I was here to say was that there are many benefits of drug testing. To me, there are more positives than negatives. I also wanted to give a little insight on how those policies CAN look within the district once implemented.
tonytx05
AG
Why do you care what other people put into their bodies?
Ratsa
nought said:

How many kids drive to high schools in College Station every day? Let's say it is just 1000. I suspect it might be more. There are 180 days in a school year. That is 1000 drives to school, plus 1000 drives home from school, on each of 180 days. 2000 times 180 is 360,000. In the last year, how many times have kiddos on meth, pot, heroin, whatever, have run over another student or been in an accident? Was it 3600? That's what it would need to be to be 1% of the trips. 360? That's 0.1% of the trips. 36? That's 0.01% of the trips. 3 or 4? That's 0.001% of the trips. I haven't seen any media reports of cracked-out meth-head pot-head junkie high school kids terrorizing this town, so I'm guessing it may even be less than that 3 or 4.

This seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem.
Nevermind.... I looked up info on what I posted previously and found an updated news story that showed my speculation to be wrong.
maddiedou
AG
Sticking a needle in the arm of my child and drawing body fluids is absolutely a privacy issue and it's being proposed by a local government run entity.
gibby03
AG
maddiedou said:

Sticking a needle in the arm of my child and drawing body fluids is absolutely a privacy issue and it's being proposed by a local government run entity.

Good thing they are only taking a urine sample and you'll never know the results unless there is a positive result. As a matter of fact, the only people who would know your child did a test is them and the 3rd party testing person who collected it. Everything is confidential and again only looked into further if there is a positive test.
TaterTot_09
Perhaps those tax dollars would be better spent developing Shattered Dream style programs that grab their attention. Do they even offer D.A.R.E anymore? I remember watching a sad video to the tune of Boys 2 Men It's so Hard to Say Goodbye for our D.A.R.E. program. Pretty sure lots of kids tuned it out but a video wouldn't have as much of an impact as a re-enactment would.
maddiedou
AG
Sorry to mistake a needle and blood for urine...another bodily fluid.

I noticed your reply included the word "child." Are you implying the school has a right to supersede my authority as a parent simply because they want to?

Sorry sir, you are wrong on this one. If you wish to give that authority/trust to some random school district then so be it...I do not and my opinion is just as valid as yours as are my rights as a private citizen and parent.
Ratsa
Both high schools participate in the Shattered Dream program on a four-year cycle, so that most students should experience it at least once during high school.
gibby03
AG
maddiedou said:

Sorry to mistake a needle and blood for urine...another bodily fluid.

I noticed your reply included the word "child." Are you implying the school has a right to supersede my authority as a parent simply because they want to?

Sorry sir, you are wrong on this one. If you wish to give that authority/trust to some random school district then so be it...I do not and my opinion is just as valid as yours as are my rights as a private citizen and parent.

Yep, your right. Your thoughts are you thoughts and obviously you disagree. Just remember who questioned who here. You singled me out, I responded. That's it. I have my opinions and I believe yours are wrong. No ill will, no hard feelings but I'm not sure I'm the one upset right now.
maddiedou
AG
Not mad at all and didn't "single you out. ". Simply pointed out, in response to your post, that this is absolutely a privacy/rights issue and it does involve a government entity because you were telling everyone you weren't here to discuss that.

I have been a lurker on the Aggieland board for a long time and knew when I responded to one of your posts I would have to explain my position.

No hard feelings and definitely no anger at all.
Oogway
I remember the incident to which you refer and I don't believe the driver was under the influence. I will say that at certain times of the morning, the sun is right in your eyes coming around the curve at Nueces similar to it being in your eyes in the afternoon on Barron heading west at CSHS so a novice driver might not be as alert as an adult.

The main issue with substances seems to me is us adults are conflicted and in discord over what is bad, what is acceptable and what are limits and like tatertot(?) said sometimes make poor choices.

If anyone happens to attend the meeting, I would love to hear about what you learned.
TLIAC
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Legalize weed and THC, then drug test for everything else.
Even if this happened (and I don't see Texas doing it anytime soon) the legal age to use weed would be 21. High school kids aren't 21 so it would still be illegal. That said weed is to many current kids what beer was to us while we were in high school.
One thing to consider is that if the school board is trying to deter drug use, they probably need to intervene earlier than high school and start random testing at the 5th-8th grade level. Test early and test often to get the message across that you might actually be caught.

There is definitely drug use at the high school level in all CSISD (and BISD) high schools. My kids told me of it when they were in about 6th/7th grade. Some was on campus but more was over the weekend at parties. In my limited experience, the real issue was more with alcohol consumption than drugs but I might be self selecting for fewer drugs as my kids had no interest in them.

My personal opinion is that it is a waste of money but if they decide to move forward with it, they should really commit and spend the dollars (lots of dollars) and do it right so that it has the best chance of being an effective deterrent.
JP76
tonytx05 said:

Because the majority of drug users eventually become a liability to society either directly or indirectly if they use long enough whether it be criminal, physical, or financial. Not sure testing would solve anything as people often in life make foolish choices regardless of the potential consequences.
tonytx05
AG
JP76 said:

tonytx05 said:

Because the majority of drug users eventually become a liability to society either directly or indirectly if they use long enough whether it be criminal, physical, or financial.

So by that logic we should outlaw alcohol, shouldn't we?

JP76 said:

Not sure testing would solve anything as people often in life make foolish choices regardless of the potential consequences.

Exactly, so what is the real benefit here? Aren't schools supposed to be educating students, not serving as their parents?
JP76
tonytx05 said:

JP76 said:

tonytx05 said:

Because the majority of drug users eventually become a liability to society either directly or indirectly if they use long enough whether it be criminal, physical, or financial.

So by that logic we should outlaw alcohol, shouldn't we?

"No we should legalize marijuana and tax it like alcohol"

JP76 said:

Not sure testing would solve anything as people often in life make foolish choices regardless of the potential consequences.

Exactly, so what is the real benefit here? Aren't schools supposed to be educating students, not serving as their parents?

"In a perfect world yes, in reality you would be surprised how many teachers are some of the only positive role models that some students have in their lives"

I would have to see supporting statistics and case analysis before I would support this in schools.
MTTANK
AG
[Please stop attempting to turn every school related discussion on this forum into a discussion about the school board. -Staff]
tonytx05
AG
gibby03 said:

ZFG said:

If the excuse of "I can't because my parents are going to kill me" isn't enough, then THAT is the problem right there.

^^^^^ THIS!!!

Agreed 100%. The question then becomes, because there are many parents who don't have that pull, how do you protect your child from that parent's child who drives to school drunk or high on meth or marijuana and decides to pull into school one morning driving crazy and hits your child or hits the bus as your child is exiting? It's easy to say, "I'll take care of mine" but it's not as easy to "take care of theirs".

The problem with your argument is there are already laws against intoxicated driving that exist as a deterrent. Alcohol is not something you will catch with random testing, so there's no deterrent factor there.

I couldn't find any stories on The Eagle's website where marijuana or meth contributed to a driving incident in Brazos County, so what battle are we really trying to fight here?
KaneIsAble
AG
You most definitely can catch alcohol with random testing.
Alcohol can be detected in urine for approximately 12-36 hours in standard testing depending on how healthy the liver is and how fast it processes the alcohol. Young livers work pretty well. So, if you test kids first thing on Monday morning after prom, you might have a decent chance of catching some kids. Of course, the board might opt for the really sensitive urine tests (sensitive = expensive) but these kids aren't flying commercial aircraft so it would be hard to justify the cost.
Oogway
It's a dilemma but they have a $4.7 million deficit so what are they going to do without to pay for this?

The philosophy of "I don't want to get caught," is a different deterrent than "I don't want to do this because it is wrong." or "I don't want to do this because it is illegal"

Obviously some folks don't believe it is wrong or believe that it is none of anyone's business what their child does or does not consume so is there a middle ground?
maddiedou
AG
This is a solution in search of a problem!

There will be very involved parents with kids who drink alcohol and/or do drugs...there will be very involved parents with kids who don't do either

There will be minimally involved parents with kids who drink and/or do drugs...there will be minimally involved parents with kids who don't do either.

Do you see the pattern? Why is more government overreach(yes, public school is a government entity) ALWAYS the solution to problems that "MIGHT happen or could be happening but we just haven't found out yet"?

Perhaps the solution to our overcrowding/underutilized faculties issue is to have one school for parents who want to raise their children to their liking and send them to school to be educated and one school for parents who are fine with constant overreach and intervention.

I respect the opinions of those who like these programs that are put in place to "help the children." I simply do not agree that school has the authority to intrude in this manor unless my child has chosen to join a school sanctioned organization that has a particular mandate in place that both the student and parent must agree to in order to join. Otherwise it is absurd in my humble opinion.

Edit for spelling
tonytx05
AG
KaneIsAble said:

You most definitely can catch alcohol with random testing.
Yes, TECHNICALLY you can. But as others have pointed out, alcohol is metabolized out of the body so quickly the LIKELIHOOD and EFFECTIVENESS of catching alcohol with random testing is low.
tonytx05
AG
maddiedou said:

gibby03
AG
maddiedou said:

There will be very involved parents with kids who drink alcohol and/or do drugs...there will be very involved parents with kids who don't do either

There will be minimally involved parents with kids who drink and/or do drugs...there will be minimally involved parents with kids who don't do either.

Do you see the pattern? Why is more government overreach(yes, public school is a government entity) ALWAYS the solution to problems that "MIGHT happen or could be happening but we just haven't found out yet"?

Perhaps the solution to our overcrowding/underutilized faculties issue is to have one school for parents who want to raise their children to their liking and send them to school to be educated and one school for parents who are fine with constant overreach and intervention.

I respect the opinions of those who like these programs that are put in place to "help the children." I simply do not agree that school has the authority to intrude in this manor unless my child has chosen to join a school sanctioned organization that has a particular mandate in place that both the student and parent must agree to in order to join. Otherwise it is obsurd in my humble opinion.
Maybe this was the confusion between me and you. This is exactly what I was speaking about. Extracurricular activities is the main target here. MOST schools will lump drivers in to the procedure as well because it doesn't cost the school anything and it helps, to a degree, ensure kids are thinking about making positive choices when driving to school. Some schools never involve drivers. I was never advocating testing every student, it is usually more geared to athletes, band members and any and all extracurriculars.

In that case then yes the parents and student are "agreeing" to the testing when they decide to do the activity. I apologize if I never made myself clear about that.
TaterTot_09
Have they given a reason for this deficit? I'm just curious.
techno-ag
AG
Let's face it, this is a good introduction to the real world. Lots of jobs require drug testing these days. Smoke the weed, pay the Piper.
rhoswen
AG
I can't get a working pencil sharpener in my classroom without buying it myself, but suddenly we have money for drug testing?

What purpose does it serve? If a kidlet fails, what happens? Do we get to kick him out of school? No, because we get $ for students. Do we put him in ISS for a week? No, because then he misses a week's worth of lessons. Add "failed drug test" to a list of things that are gonna go un/underpunished and therefore solves NOTHING.
Oogway
It is a "planned" deficit. They've been doing it for years. I haven't spent a lot of time on the issue, but essentially if I recall it is a combination of the Robin Hood funding (recapture), the projected revenue stream ( which varies), and the payroll (which is around 80% of that type of budget).

They initially had a roughly $2 million deficit planned so somewhere it doubled unless this is for next year and reflects things like the extra costs for two new campuses being opened.

So, drug testing would add to that I suppose.
OnlyANobody
rhoswen said:

I can't get a working pencil sharpener in my classroom without buying it myself, but suddenly we have money for drug testing?

What purpose does it serve? If a kidlet fails, what happens? Do we get to kick him out of school? No, because we get $ for students. Do we put him in ISS for a week? No, because then he misses a week's worth of lessons. Add "failed drug test" to a list of things that are gonna go un/underpunished and therefore solves NOTHING.
Or send them into the Alternative/DAEP programs where they still count toward funding numbers, but aren't cluttering up the TEA grades for the main campuses....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.