Looking for local Physical Therapy that has FES bike

1,222 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhnatt
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for local Physical Therapy that has FES bike

Our 10-year-old son is a cancer patient that is making great strides in his ability to walk again after years of lower spine surgeries and radiation therapy. We have been traveling to South Carolina three days a week for PT at the Shriners Childrens Hospital but are of course hoping to engage in some treatments in the College Station area.

Also, if anyone has any connections with NDTA qualified Physical Therapy locally, that would be a huge plus!

Thanks!
iisanaggie
AG
I don't know about the type of bike you are needing, but contact Inspire PT and see if they have one or know of someone who does. Also, have you contacted TIRR in Houston? They are awesome and might be able to do rehab for him there or point you in the right direction. Hope you find something that works for your kiddo. God bless!
Oogway
I am so happy your son is improving! That is great news! I can't speak locally with regards to the FES bicycles, but you might try calling the rehabilitative services center at MD Anderson if you haven't already. I believe there was a study done at UT (it's been awhile) with respect to FES cycles so perhaps they would have some ongoing knowledge of nearby sources for treatment.
mhnatt
Thank you both for the replies. It has been a while since we have visited Inspire (absolutely great folks by the way!) and we will check with them. Trips to Houston would play difficult for his schedule (chemo and other procedures at other institutions). Right now much of his time is spent in Georgia and South Carolina but we are trying to make things happen in College Station (our "home" home). God bless and thank you again!
Oogway
Completely understand; the amount of time spent just going to and from various labs, consultations and treatments can be time-consuming in and of itself. Since those bikes are $$$$, I thought the Houston folks might be able to point you to some closer leads if no one in BCS had them (i.e the Woodlands-it's not BCS, but it is closer than downtown Houston). Good luck and wish him well!
mhnatt
Thank you @Oogway. The Woodlands might be an option if we cannot find one in BCS. You sound as though you come from first-hand experience. Indeed it is easily a full-time job at this point of treatment. Not to complain or prompt for pity, but our son is entering his 6th year of his battle and has PT on average twice a day all five days a week at three different institutes over 100 miles apart (Children's Hosp of Georgia + Shriner's Children's Hosp in Greenville, SC + NDTA therapy at Augusta, GA). Chemo is most of the day Monday's so it is a tight fit. Add tutoring (which we fail mostly at) and travel time and this little 10-year old could use some local "home" time. And if there is any left over, little people to play/visit with

The FES bike is amazing in it's results. The doctors are in awe, as are we. This boy will soon be walking at this rate and is expected to participate in an upcoming "Try-my-best-triathlon" late next month. As a dad, I'll be looking forward to sharing the experience with the public!
momlaw
AG
Mike, my email is in profile. Please make contact.
momlaw
mhnatt
We just spoke with a manufacturer of FES bikes and he said that there is an individual in College Station who has one. They cannot provide their name for obvious reasons, but if this person/company would be so kind to let us know, we'd like to see if they would be interested in selling it. It is a moon shot to ask on here, but we need to try. They run over $20k new. It is difficult to have insurance cover them, which is why we are looking for a used one.

Thank you so much!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.