Top Golf alternative - would something like this work in BCS?

11,806 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Salloh_Baloo said:

I can see it doing damage in College towns in particular. Every Organization/ Society would pay good money to host Socials and Events there. If it were in CS, college kids would immediately think of 4ore before anything of the likes of Grand station etc.
It depends on the price.

Most organizations aren't ripe with cash for something as expensive a topgolf.
B$Weigem
AG
Agreed, but as CS grows younger professionals / companies will have somewhere to host their Office Social or happy hours. It would just be a good switch up around here, as it's been said before, you don't have to like golf to go to these kind of places. It's more about the social scene and alcohol.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
You'd be surprised how much money organizations have to spend on events like that.
bcstx06
I think a business like this would do great here. And as mentioned before, the land West of Hwy 47 is a prime location for this type of development. Imagine a place like this mixed with a Main Event type of place, we would truly have a little regional tourist attraction.

There are other copycats: http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/topgolf-imitators-opening-texas-florida

I think we have the best chance with the Lubbock company expanding here. How can we get this going? I would surely invest!
AggieBarstool
gibby03 said:

Tear down the old Academy and Gander Mountain and put it in right there.
NO. I want a Central Market / Whole Foods / Trader Joes (or combination thereof) in that space!
Birddog
AG
gibby03 said:

Tear down the old Academy and Gander Mountain and put it in right there.
Lone Star Golf Academy sold to build Gander (Academy) then sold back for another Golfing venture. Looks like someone was thinking along those lines a about 15 yrs back.
DontBeTriggered
This concept couldn't last here unfortunately. These concepts work best in larger markets.
powerbelly
AG
MonkIsMyHero said:

This concept couldn't last here unfortunately. These concepts work best in larger markets.
If it works in Lubbock is should work in College Station. I have my doubt that the one is Lubbock will last.
Captn_Ag05
AG
If built on a smaller scale than Top Golf, I think the concept could work in BCS, particularly if priced appropriately and built relationships with university organizations. It would be a great evening activity for all the tournaments and athletic events being brought into town as well (Aggie or otherwise).

Alternatively, a concept discussed on the coming and going thread https://swingzonegolf.com/might be a good compromise.

I do think it is important to develop such a location before Huntsville or Waco because it could also be a regional draw.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Beaumont is getting a Top Golf - albeit a slightly different version than most locations. They are calling it Top Golf Swing Suites, with an outdoor and an indoor simulated area. Can't believe we can't get this or something similar in BCS.
Tom Hagen
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

They would never do those alcohol sales here. They might do 1/4
Certainly not at the prices that Top Golf charges.
O.G.
MonkIsMyHero said:

That is correct. This like tihs should not be tried here. We in BCS are not to have such things as they have in other cities.

"Houston and Austin are too close".....

"It can't be done here".....

"If you don't like it, Highways 6 runs both ways".....

We're just supposed to be a quaint little college town and hope that the football team gets bowl eligible and that the bowl is in state so we don't have to drive too far.

What this town could REALLY use are more chicken finger joints, banks and nail salons. Lets stay focused on the important stuff.
bcstx06
bcstx06 said:

I think a business like this would do great here. And as mentioned before, the land West of Hwy 47 is a prime location for this type of development. Imagine a place like this mixed with a Main Event type of place, we would truly have a little regional tourist attraction.

There are other copycats: http://www.golfincmagazine.com/content/topgolf-imitators-opening-texas-florida

I think we have the best chance with the Lubbock company expanding here. How can we get this going? I would surely invest!

Nearly 5 years later, and Bryan's Midtown Park has Bigshots and is getting a concept similar to Main Event called Movie Bowl Grille.
busdriver88
AG
duffelpud said:

Lubock?!

They'll be storing hurricane damaged cars there before six months goes by.

Lived in Lubbock for the last 31 years. I get it, but most of you who bad mouth it have not been there in 20 years. 4Golf is doing quite well, and is located perfectly. It is far enough away from campus to not be just a frat boy hang out, but on the highway so it is easily driven to in a short time. Literally tons of new home construction out there, along with new retail spaces.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
techno-ag
AG
bcstx06 said:

bcstx06 said:

Nearly 5 years later, and Bryan's Midtown Park has Bigshots and is getting a concept similar to Main Event called Movie Bowl Grille.
Good call 06.
maroon barchetta
O.G. said:

MonkIsMyHero said:

That is correct. This like tihs should not be tried here. We in BCS are not to have such things as they have in other cities.

"Houston and Austin are too close".....

"It can't be done here".....

"If you don't like it, Highways 6 runs both ways".....

We're just supposed to be a quaint little college town and hope that the football team gets bowl eligible and that the bowl is in state so we don't have to drive too far.

What this town could REALLY use are more chicken finger joints, banks and nail salons. Lets stay focused on the important stuff.

This did not age well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.