Atmos bill this month?

15,248 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rapier108
Lone Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People in the meteorology and energy industry use a quick method to gauge how much cooler or hotter one period (day, week, month, etc.) is than another relative to the amount of time heating and cooling systems operate called degree days. The baseline temp is usually 65 deg F for calculating "0" which assumes if the avg daily temp is 65 no cooling or heating was probably needed. The method is not precise but quick and easy to give a rough feel of heating needs compared to "last year" and "avg".

Easterwood Heating Deg Days, Dec 2016: 319 (Historical Dec Avg = 412)

Easterwood Heating Deg Days, Nov 2017: 136.8
Easterwood Heating Deg Days, Dec 2017: 958.9
Easterwood Heating Deg Days, Jan 2018 to date: 438.4

The Dec 17 heating deg days were 7 times more than Nov 17
The Dec 17 Heating deg days were over twice the normal Dec avg. for BCS
The Dec 16 Heating deg days were only 75% of the normal Dec avg. for BCS

The two years heating requirements were nowhere near the same ballpark for last year vs this year. You don't pay your bill by the month of the year you pay by how much you used.

techno-ag
AG
Lone Stranger
Look at the dates on your bills. Your December bill was more than likely for much of November which was mild. Your Jan (big) bill was for much of Dec and maybe some Jan which was high. The really big heating usage days started around Dec 10th (before the big snow). If your Dec bill covered mid Nov to mid Dec (especially cut off around the 8th or 9th) and your Jan bill covered around Dec 10 through Jan 10th, the increase in units you cited in not all that strange and expected.

drred4
I add a bit of a different scenario on this. This winter end of December and much of Jan have been much colder than normal or at least than the last few years. I am rural so have 250 gal tank. I can usually get 8 months off a fill. Use say averaged 25 gallons per month. I have easily used 50+ gallons from Mid December to present. Been around 5 to 8 years since I have used that much in a month timeframe. Not sure what the conversion would be for soemrhing like this from gallons propane to c.f. natural gas
aggiepaintrain
AG
mine doubled, seems reasonable to me
YellowPot_97
AG
$61 to $135
ratfacemcdougal
I am all electric. In spring and fall, I can get a bill for 20.00. January was COLD. My bill is 275.00 Very typical scenario. Pay it and move on to the next month.
Stupe
S
If you are all electric, why are you even getting a gas bill? You shouldn't even have a meter.

Even if you had a furnace, that kind of jump is staggering.
Drewmeister
AG
I believe they are talking about their electric bill. Electric heat is even more expensive than gas!

I'm expecting a big bill when it comes in the next couple days, as I was unfortunately home sick with the flu during the super cold days last week (including the "Texas is closed" day), and kept my heat set on 70. The furnace ran a lot those days!
Ornlu
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_law_of_cooling

The rate of heat loss of a body is directly proportional to the difference in the temperatures between the body and its surroundings.

If it's twice as cold, it takes 4 times as much energy to keep the house warm.

Edit to add: I've got a gas furnace, stove, water heater, and even clothes dryer. My Atmos bill is typically $20 in July or about $60 in January. This month though, it's $135. Looking at average temps, that amount makes a lot of sense and seems completely reasonable, cuz.... math.
rc_cat
Just checked my Atmos bill - and it basically doubled - but I think we've used our heat more in the past month than in the past three years combined - so I wasn't surprised at the increase.
Stupe
S
Drewmeister said:

I believe they are talking about their electric bill. Electric heat is even more expensive than gas!

I'm expecting a big bill when it comes in the next couple days, as I was unfortunately home sick with the flu during the super cold days last week (including the "Texas is closed" day), and kept my heat set on 70. The furnace ran a lot those days!
If that's the case, then it's not even a valid statement on a thread about Atmos.
b0ridi
34 CCF from Nov 20 to Dec 20
73 CCF from Dec 20 to Jan 20

As expected. Of course, I understand how my appliances work, so I turned the thermostat down to very low temperatures so that I wouldn't get a gigantic gas bill.
JP76
Mine went from $73 to $116

Gas furnace kept on 71 and water heater
soccermom94
Holy Moly! I just got hit with my "big bill" . $188 CCF178
I thought January was high at $74.

I assume my January was estimated and my February was actual? Maybe I'm paying for the big time January usage this month. Either way Yikes!
soccermom94
Yep. I patiently waited on hold for 45 minutes with Atmos and spoke with a very friendly lady who confirmed my suspicions. My previous bill was estimated and hadn't calculated those frozen, snowy days. This bill is actual.
happyinBCS
You can solve the problem by calling Atmos and telling them to put an electronic reader on your meter and it will be correct every month and never manually read again or estimated again
aggiepaintrain
AG
mine was half as much as last month

b0ridi
soccermom94 said:

Yep. I patiently waited on hold for 45 minutes with Atmos and spoke with a very friendly lady who confirmed my suspicions. My previous bill was estimated and hadn't calculated those frozen, snowy days. This bill is actual.
The bill explicitly says "Estimated Usage" or "Actual Usage". No need to wait 45 minutes to check that.
91_Aggie
AG
Mine back to the normal range. $30.
txgardengirl
Just opened ours - looks like our bill we paid in January was estimated (it was high - but it was cold for a long time and we were home) and now the one due in February is an actual read and it is just above our normal range so seems to have balanced out.
Rapier108
Mine went from $69 in January to $181 in February. Talk about BS.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.