Concealed Handgun License

4,141 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by powerbelly
Bode316
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a place in the BCS area to get a CHL? My wife and I are thinking about getting one.

Thanks!
ontheedge
We went to Champion Firearms. Seamless...
Morpholino
AG
+1 for Champion.
newsjunkie
Message me and I can recommend someone if you want.
Bode316
Thanks all- I'll look into Champion! Any others?
LOYAL AG
AG
Schiller Firearms.

http://www.bcsconcealedcarry.com/
momlaw
AG
We (husband and I) enjoyed the Schillers' class.
He is willing to work with technique and training prior, prepping for firing test.

Edited to add: lunch is good and she bakes a scrumptious chocolate cake.
momlaw
GunRangeGal
AG
Champion. They taught real-world scenarios and you don't feel like you can conquer the world after the class... but, you have a better understanding of how to protect the ones you love most. They expect you to be proficient with your weapon before, so I recommend lots of practice time.
cledus6150
AG
Champion, great class and great people.
Rockdoc
AG
Really enjoyed Schillers class. And as momlaw said, the chocolate cake was pretty wow!
Muzzleblast
Plus many for Gene Schiller.

Known him for many years. Excellent at this class.

ontheedge
LOYAL AG said:

Schiller Firearms.

http://www.bcsconcealedcarry.com/

My son took his from these folks and enjoyed it. Either place will do you right IMO.
aggiegal99
I recently took Handgun 101 and the LTC class at Champion. I easily passed, and it was interesting, but there's so much more I want to know before I feel safe carrying. Several people on the outdoor board suggested this place: https://www.krtraining.com

They have all sorts of more advanced defensive pistol classes.
keo1
AG
Schiller is a great class.
AggieBarstool
If you're not going to Champion, you're doing it wrong.
AggieBarstool
aggiegal99 said:

there's so much more I want to know before I feel safe carrying
Like what?

I felt perfectly informed after taking the class + my own prep. & learning.
aggiegal99
My only practice shooting a handgun is in the Champion range. The reality of a situation where I'd need to use a gun doesn't match range conditions. I want someone knowledgeable to teach me about real-life defensive pistol maneuvering. Also, I'm a woman, so my perspective is quite a bit different than yours (assuming you are a man).
BCStalk
I would suggest classes. I also am fond of Gunsmoke for practice. It allows you to be in the open with the ability to shoot multiple targets. How often do you practice?
AggieBarstool
aggiegal99 said:

My only practice shooting a handgun is in the Champion range. The reality of a situation where I'd need to use a gun doesn't match range conditions. I want someone knowledgeable to teach me about real-life defensive pistol maneuvering. Also, I'm a woman, so my perspective is quite a bit different than yours (assuming you are a man).
Gotcha... kudos on keeping sharp.

I, myself, have looked into NRA classes on defensive gun use inside/outside the home. Just haven't done it yet.
waterworks
AG
aggiegal and others - George Clendenin runs tactical classes, as well as regular LTC classes, and he's a great instructor. Check out his website: www.integrityftc.com
newsjunkie
http://www.brazosvalleysecurity.com/texas-ltc.html

Brazos Valley Security
Licensed firearms instructor
NRA certified
Flexible hours and schedules
Max06
AG
Sarah Rassa teaches exactly what you're looking for. She's based out of Somerville but does classes at Gunamoke and will also do private lessons at Champion.
ontheedge
Is any of the training geared toward regular citizens that aren't interested in tactical/swat type training? Maybe for 60+ in years people? Situational for places people frequent? Wife and I would be interested in something like that.
dubi
AG
ontheedge said:

Is any of the training geared toward regular citizens that aren't interested in tactical/swat type training? Maybe for 60+ in years people? Situational for places people frequent? Wife and I would be interested in something like that.
https://www.krtraining.com/
BCStalk
They hold classes at both Gunsmoke and CCC for basic defense. I recommend private classes if you are needing more one on one training.
BCStalk
dubi said:

ontheedge said:

https://www.krtraining.com/

And I believe this is one of the classes I'm thinking of.
dubi
AG
AggieBarstool said:

If you're not going to Champion, you're doing it wrong.
I took my CHL class at Champion with 40 people.

My husband and son took their class with Gene Schiller and it was 15 people with breakfast and lunch provided. They received much more personalized instruction.
O.G.
Champions is a one stop shop, as far as getting everything done in house goes. Can't speak for the other places listed here but I had a really good experience with Champions.
chloelee
Gene Schiller is great.
Crusader
I've used both Champion and Schiller - Champion for the CCL, and Schiller for renewal. Champion was okay, but Schiller was, by far, so much better.
aggiegal99
Max, do you have an email address that you are willing to post? I have a question for you.
Max06
AG
Max06 at aggienetwork dot com
txyaloo
AG
SAWgunner said:

Champions is a one stop shop, as far as getting everything done in house goes. Can't speak for the other places listed here but I had a really good experience with Champions.
Things have changed. You can't get everything done in house anymore. Have to go offsite for electronic pics/prints now.

Gene Schiller puts on a great class. It's about the same price as Champion but with a smaller student to instructor ratio and breakfast/lunch usually provided.
JavierC2005
Taking my LTC class with Gene this weekend. Several people in my office have told me I am going to love his class. I'll report back after.
atm86
AG
Crusader said:

I've used both Champion and Schiller - Champion for the CCL, and Schiller for renewal. Champion was okay, but Schiller was, by far, so much better.
What renewal? You don't need to take a class to renew, just send in your money.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.