Meter Readers in Backyard?

18,334 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FlyRod
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
My gates are not locked, but the past 2 months the meter reader has run into my dog in the backyard. He comes in the gate by the meter and then walks all the way through the backyard to the other gate where there is no meter. I don't see the need for this. I'm not wild about men walking through my backyard unannounced either. My wife was back there one time last year in a not-so-decent state and this guy just comes walking through. Scared her to death. And I wasn't home either.

Also, my dog is just a pup (50 lbs) and very nice, gentle, knows how to behave around people, but he can look mean and intimidating to some and that will just get worse as he grows. I'd like to avoid any kind of issue in the future with a meter reader pre-emptively harming my dog. And if my wife is out there and the dog did perceive a threat he would protect her.

Are we required to leave gates unlocked for meter readers or can I put a lock on it? The meter is only about 5 feet inside my gate.
Frio Cielo
Sounds like there is a state Rule, law??, that you have to allow them access to your meter. If they can't get to it for three straight months, they can turn off your electricity.

See https://www.click2houston.com/news/new-rule-could-mean-electricity-shut-off-for-homeowners

In your case, I would at least lock the other gate so that there is no benefit to go acros your backyard to exit.

patrick.redmill
AFAIK, you don't have to leave your gates unlocked. If they are locked, they will estimate your consumption based on your consumption history. At some point, the utility company will request to come on to the property and get an actual reading; at which point you may find that you have to pay a significant overage for any undercharged months (or vice versa).

Pretty sure they read my water remotely, as I have never seen them check it. Electricity, yeah they come every month. The utility company does print, on your statement, a three day window in which they'll come check the meter. You can always unlock the gate, bring in the dog, and discourage scantily-clad backyard prancing for just those three days. :P I have the same concerns, and that's what I do.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I don't necessarily mind if he'll come in the gate by the meter walk the 5 feet to the meter and then leave through the same gate. It's the walking all the way across the yard to go out my other gate that annoys me. I like the suggestion of locking that other gate. Maybe post sign telling him to leave out of that specific gate as well.
armymom
In CS I have a iron fence with unlocked gates. My meter reader peers over the fence with binoculars to read my meter. They don't ever come in the back yard.
InMyOpinion
If your meter is just in side the gate then why in the heck does the meter reader need to go through your back yard.

I would make a complaint with the utility company.
91_Aggie
AG
Sounds like the meter reader knows your wife's habits and is trying to get a 2nd look-see.
curry97
AG
Maybe they are reading your neighbor's meter from your backyard.
07bluebonnet
curry97 said:

This. At our last house in CS they would read our meter and then peer through the fence cracks to see our neighbors meters, saving them time and energy on their route.
moneyinthebananastand
I'd go ahead and put a key-tracker on the wife's computer and tap her phone. The 'meter-reader' fantasy may be getting out of hand.
BigBubba
AG
We have a pool and building code requirements state that the latch to open the fence must be on the inside of our fence. I am pretty sure they read my meter by using binoculars from my neighbors backyard.
mattdawg86
runawaytrain
Right "uses binoculars"... I would seriously check my invoices, seems like a very shaky way to read a meter.
SoTheySay
S
Leave gate one unlocked. Let him read it and walk to gate two (now locked) and then he'll have to retrace his steps.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Eventually, most utilities will get out of the meter reading business. AMR (Automated meter readers) can be installed in many cases, if the utility in question utilizes such. Pun intended.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
curry97 said:

I bet you're right. My neighbors' fence goes WAY out further than mine and their meter can really only be seen from my fence. Seems like an issue they have with accessing the neighbor's yard not mine though.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
mattdawg86 said:

Hello , im the supervisor for the meter readers our company is called Alexanders we are contract to read all electric and waters , I apologize for the inconvenience , I can make sure that they won't happen again feel free to give me a call so we can fix any issues .
Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely give you a call later in the week to see how we can come up with a solution for the future. I just want to avoid any issues in the future.
mattdawg86
I absolutely understand I'm sure we will come with a solution .
mattdawg86
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I saw you edited your original post and thought maybe you were trying to remove your number since it's a public site. I wrote it down.
mattdawg86
Ok I see
momlaw
AG
We had a similar problem years ago when CoCS did the reading. I spoke with the supervisor, who was lovely. The readers' instrument can give explicit instructions. They always come to my front door first. If I am away my dogs are inside. When the reader comes to the door I bring the dogs in if they are out. The readers know not to lollygag or go through other gates. I note on my calendar the estimated read dates from the bill so I can be alert on those days.... my 2 dogs' combined weight is 250# and they do not care for potential predators.

The contract readers as equally accommodating, some even enjoy having someone say hello and thank you to them.
carpe vinum
AG
I'm surprised they haven't gone wireless. Seemingly everyone else has.
halibut sinclair
Pics of wife or it didn't happen.
Love Gun
halibut sinclair said:

Pics of wife or it didn't happen.

No kidding. Rule #1 or something
TXAggie1976
AG
Kitten.... I think you are doing a great job of preventing a possible future problem with the dog. I have many dogs and am very cognizant of when workers come and the "rules" to set everyone up for success. You don't need a puppy that is protective quarantined for 10 days because of protecting their property and biting someone or getting hurt by someone scared of the pup. Set all up for success.
BrandoC
AG
Do you blame him, have pics?
techno-ag
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Eventually, most utilities will get out of the meter reading business. AMR (Automated meter readers) can be installed in many cases, if the utility in question utilizes such. Pun intended.
This. CSU is way behind the curve. BTU has had this for years.
FlyRod
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.