Watering and St. Augustine grass, best practices?

9,471 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brewmaster
soso33
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their tips for watering St. Augustine in the summer months with little rain. I have an irrigation controller with cycle and soak capabilities but I'd like to know how best to take advantage of this function.

Also, what is your fertilization schedule, the products you use, and any other treatments you put down for insects, fungus, etc?

thanks!
BigBubba
AG
If you live in College Station with their idiotic progressive water rates, then you have two choices.

• Let your grass die
  • Pull $100 bills out of your wallet and set them on fire
SchnauzerMom
There was a weekend gardener segment on this topic via KBTX recently. Might be able to search their website and watch it.
utex99
randylemmon.com

This website is GOLD! I think it has what you are looking for.
JP76
Lot of variables but in general

1 inch of water per week is rough minimum

For rotor heads it's usually around 15-20 minutes per zone but it's best to check with a gauge

If you want a high bill and like to mow then 3 times a week, of not then 2 times a week.

Normally I go 10 minutes for fixed heads and 20 for rotor heads as a ballpark and adjust from there.

I always program to water in the morning usually starting around 4:30 am as st Augustine is susceptible to brown patch once the evening temps start dropping.

For fertilizer I lay down bonus s in mid February, then regular fertilizer mid may, then winterizer and fungicide towards the end of august

waterchick
If you haven't already, go to this website and sign up to receive weekly watering recommendations, based on rainfall received in your neighborhood: http://bvwatersmart.tamu.edu (note: no 'www' in front)

This is what my weekly email recommended this morning:

"A message from Brazos Valley WaterSmart

Dear egret,

Your lawn needs water this week.

Recommended sprinkler system run times:
  • Multi-stream rotors : 40 minutes per day, twice a week.
  • Rotors : 30 minutes per day, twice a week.
  • Pop-up sprays : 15 minutes per day, twice a week.
  • Shrub sprays : 15 minutes per day, twice a week.

If you need more information about sprinkler types see our website

Recommended watering schedule: Tuesday and/or Saturday even numbered street address, Thursday and/or Sunday odd-numbered street address.

This is based on rainfall of 0.32 inches for the week of Jul 16, 2017 to Jul 23, 2017.

If the forecast for the upcoming week is rainy, please consider turning off your sprinklers. At any time, for the latest rainfall totals please visit http://bvwatersmart.tamu.edu.

Thank you for helping us conserve water."

Note that those recommendations are TOTAL run time for the week. So, 30 minutes twice per week for rotors is 60 minutes TOTAL. Since your controller has cycle & soak capabilities (yay!) I would suggest doing 3 10-minute cycles, on two watering days per week.

The Brazos Valley WaterSmart website also has LOTS of videos on many irrigation topics, available here: http://bvwatersmart.tamu.edu/node/126
waterchick
Also, this from Neil Sperry:

http://neilsperry.com/faq/how-much-should-i-be-watering-my-grass-and-how-often-10383/
and
http://neilsperry.com/2016/02/proper-watering-with-an-eye-toward-conservation/

I have seen St. Augustine lawns in partial shade with healthy soil look great with once a week (or less often) watering, and St. Augustine lawns in full sun with crappy soil look terrible even though they're getting watered 3 days per week.
armymom
Don't mow it too short...leave it long!
RDH80
AG
second armymom---keep it 2.5-3 inches.
studioone
and if you water too much, and your grass starts to yellow.. you've got fungus...

and fi u see black spots on the grass blades, you got fungus...

i water in the daytime so it doesnt sit and rot at night...

lost a lot of st augustine a year or so ago due to fungus and watering too much...

The Original AG 76
AG
Another recommend for Randy Lemmon. Great advice for this part of the world
soso33
thanks to all for the great tips and resources
Brewmaster
AG
+11venty billion for mowing it long. 2.5" should be minimum. The best yards in our neighborhood are this length.

St. Augustine will use a LOT more water if mowed too short and it's a lot less hardy (more chance of fungus/disease etc.). 1/2" per watering is ideal - and shoot for 10-12 waterings in a summer month depending on drought or not. Watering early in the morning (4 am or 5 am) is usually best. Usually it isn't windy and shortly the sun will be up (no chance of fungus or disease).

I do NOT fertilize it, I put down Milorganite once or twice a summer. It is a low nitrogen, iron rich supplement that really helps it green up, but keeps it from growing like crazy. Most fertilizers just pump it full of nitrogen and you'll end up mowing 2 or 3 times a week. No thanks.

Corn meal does a pretty good job against fungus and you can get it in big bags at Producers, cheap like $7 or $8. It feeds the good microorganisms, instead of just nuking everything (fungicide). Google it, there are a bunch of people using it on St. Augustine with success.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.