Are the City of Bryan’s Texas Ave Beautification efforts enough?

1,557 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 95_Aggie
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.bryantx.gov/cbp/
It's nice that the city is doing something to help improve Texas Avenue but I don't believe it is enough. I liken it to putting lipstick on a pig. Repaving parking lots and painting buildings is not enough. I suggest:
  • Widening the road to match the College Station portion.
  • removing power lines
  • widen sidewalks
  • make the area more walkable
  • trees in the median (like College Station)
  • Incentives to bring businesses to Texas Ave.
  • discourage suburban style development
  • discourage used auto dealers, and mobile home businesses
redd38
AG
bcstx06 said:

https://www.bryantx.gov/cbp/
It's nice that the city is doing something to help improve Texas Avenue but I don't believe it is enough. I liken it to putting lipstick on a pig. Repaving parking lots and painting buildings is not enough. I suggest:
  • Widening the road to match the College Station portion.
  • removing power lines
  • widen sidewalks
  • make the area more walkable
  • trees in the median (like College Station)
  • Incentives to bring businesses to Texas Ave.
  • discourage suburban style development
  • discourage used auto dealers, and mobile home businesses

I don't see much need to widen the road, seems like a big waste of money and would take forever. Traffic is never really backed up much.

Power lines don't both me either, but whatever, if it really bothers people then sure

It's too damn hot and too damn far to be walking along Texas, don't see a need for wider sidewalks or making the area more "walkable"

I hate trees in the median, waste of space and reduces visibility. Plus I would imagine having roots growing right under the road isn't good for the road

I'm all for incentives to bring in businesses

I'm against discouraging businesses.
techno-ag
AG
The power lines could be moved back a block. Cheaper than burying them.
halibut sinclair
DBSwooper
God I hope they don't build up the medians with trees and stuff, all that does is obstruct the view for crossing traffic.
Frio Cielo
Bryan's growth of commercial is east and west chasing the residential growth. Texas Avenue in Bryan will continue as it is or get worst as time goes on.

Unless you are dealing with the city or police deparment, there is very little need or reason for most residents to go down Texas Avenue.

When you see furniture in the parking lot, piles of bean bags stacked in front of stores, multiple used car dealers, pawn shops and vacant aged commercial building on most all blocks, you realize that a neighborhood has seen its best days.

You have to give people a reason to go down Texas Avenue and I don't now what you could add that would do that. People aren't going to go just because the street looks great.
AggiePhil
AG
I support it. As has been said, there is an obvious visual difference when you cross into Bryan. Underground utilities are huge in my opinion. It's one of those things that many people don't notice till they're gone. More of a subliminal thing. But still very important. Again, just my opinion. I realize that SOP here is to complain about everything but I for one am in favor of these changes.
Frio Cielo
AggiePhil said:

I support it. As has been said, there is an obvious visual difference when you cross into Bryan. Underground utilities are huge in my opinion. It's one of those things that many people don't notice till they're gone. More of a subliminal thing. But still very important. Again, just my opinion. I realize that SOP here is to complain about everything but I for one am in favor of these changes.

I am not against it, but in times of limited money and resources, I would consider it in addition to other needs of the city. There are streets west of downtown Bryan that are in extremely poor condition due to lacking street maintenance. There are a couple of streets that have sewage in the bar ditch in front of homes.
Oogway
Frio Cielo said:

<<<<snip>>>>
Unless you are dealing with the city or police deparment, there is very little need or reason for most residents to go down Texas Avenue.
<<<<snip>>>>.

Readfield's is one of my favorite reasons and I live all the way in College Station....
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Unless you are dealing with the city or police deparment, there is very little need or reason for most residents to go down Texas Avenue
Or any of the courts that are located in/around the courthouse
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.