Suddenlink Price Increase?

12,645 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Original AG 76
texasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anybody else suddenly find their costs for Internet go up this month or was I the only lucky one? I called their number and received a computer message telling me prices might have gone up to reflect rising costs, etc.

I'm not upset at paying more money, I get that prices rise. I am, however, angry that they just increase my bill and don't communicate that to me ahead of time. It feels disingenuous - as if they're sneaking it in there in the hopes I won't notice.
meezermom
Mine has crept up $9 per month over the past year. It was $62 last July, in January it went up to $69 and two months ago it rose to $73. No explanation, no notice -- autograft. I'd give anything to have a choice of providers.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Not under contract. I'd be more upset if I contracted at a set price and they wanted to increase.
Stucco
Recently the 'free' two DTA boxes have ended, adding $3.50/each to most bills around the city, depending on if you have them or not.

My bill went up for other reasons. I called and they told me my promotion rate had ended. They looked to see what new specials were available, put me on one, and my rate ended up back down to about what it was before the change.

It is still about $40 more than I like, but this is life with a city council that imposes a monopoly.
nthomas99
AG
It's pretty much standard operating procedure to call suddenlink once a year, say you may cancel service, and watch magically as they find a different plan / code that lowers your rate back to what it used to be. I'm on Brazos WiFi outside of town now (prepay a year, lock in the rate and get 25% off -- woohoo!), but I was on Suddenlink cable modems from day 1 and basically this was the annual ritual for better part of two decades.
txgardengirl
Yes, call the retention department and they'll float you down. We are in the process of moving and when I called to transfer services he even said my bill was a little high - at the new house it went down $50
InMyOpinion
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Not under contract. I'd be more upset if I contracted at a set price and they wanted to increase.

Suddenlink doesn't do contracts, they can say the price will be good for a year but it is not a contract.
texasaggie04
AG
Thanks for the responses. The real issue here to me is the lack of communication. Even an email saying "Brace yourself, prices will go up next month" would be fine. But to just change it without any communication is poor business practice.
We were with suddenlink or it's predecessors for 20 years. The advertised rates were not available to us since we were not "new" customers. Sure, I called every once in a while and they would lower the price a bit but soon, the price would go up again. About 2 years ago, I got fed up and cut the cord. My $100/month cable bill is now a $20/month Sling bill (includes the sports package). We are also Amazon Prime members and have Netflix too. I did buy an antenna for a one time cost of less than $100. We pick up the major channels over the antenna with no issue.

I laugh when I get the suddenlink solicitation in the mail each week. No more, folks. You got my money for 20 years and now I am done with you.
BCS-Ag
1.618 said:

We were with suddenlink or it's predecessors for 20 years. The advertised rates were not available to us since we were not "new" customers. Sure, I called every once in a while and they would lower the price a bit but soon, the price would go up again. About 2 years ago, I got fed up and cut the cord. My $100/month cable bill is now a $20/month Sling bill (includes the sports package). We are also Amazon Prime members and have Netflix too. I did buy an antenna for a one time cost of less than $100. We pick up the major channels over the antenna with no issue.

I laugh when I get the suddenlink solicitation in the mail each week. No more, folks. You got my money for 20 years and now I am done with you.

So who do you use for internet?
AggiePirate
AG
I laugh when I see Frontier's advertisements which don't even mention the actual speed. LOL
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Fleen
I'm curious too. Was looking to do exactly this but bumping my suddenlink up to 200mb/unlimited for $70
BrandoC
AG
I so freaking sick of POS Suddenlink!!! Does anyone know if AT&T Uverse is available in College Station?
UmustBKidding
No uverse in bcs and less uverse everywhere since they are trying to move all video to dtv. Forgot what they now call their data only uverse. Frontier is starting to build infrastructure to support bonded vdsl locally so they will have a uverse offering at some point hopefully soon.
Kitten With A Whip
What exactly is the benefit to residents of College Station, for the CoCS to continue this monopoly agreement with Suddenlink?
BrazosWifi
Franchises work like this: in exchange for a quasi monopoly in a city, the company is required to offer service to everyone in the city.

These agreements make great sense when cable tv was rolling out. It makes the business viable.

As for all the folks screaming for competition in this market, the cold hard truth is that there's not a good business case for head to head competition now that DOCSIS 3.1 and fiber fed nodes came to be in the last few years. Why would a company invest $millions just for the chance to compete for $70/mo internet services? $uddenlink could easily drop their rate to $30/mo or lower and bankrupt tbe other company.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this one but I have looked long and hard on this one.
UmustBKidding
I remember they days with two cable systems in bcs. Four dollar cable bills and outrage when it went to 6 then 8. The community cable system went through multiple owners and I believe it was cook (or crook as people called it) that finally bought Midwest. It was their first order of business to tear down the Midwest distribution infrastructure and move it to the typically newer community system. Prices immediately rose from the lack of competition.
Because of the cost to build this infrastructure it is highly unlikely we will ever see another cable provider here especially in cs and the higher cost driven by being required to be underground. Both cities have franchise agreement with suddenlink but it deals what do and don't about placing infrastructure, what they must provide, things like public access channels, and free cable to city hall and schools. In theory you could go negotiate an agreement with either city but finite resources like space in utility easements and on poles make it very hard. Because of this you typically only see legacy phone companies compete with cable because they have infrastructure in place and technology has moved ahead so old wires can carry data faster and they can leverage it to deliver Internet and via that streaming video. Verizon had no interest in this legacy wire infrastructure theor future was wireless, more profitable and also far lest costly to maintain. Few companies want to be in the phone company business, but frontier is actually one of them. They have been spending money, probably more in the last year here then Verizon spent in the past 15. And have done things like moved all their customer service to us call centers. Their infrastructure will not support gig but you will see uverse level offerings. So plan of sudden link for a long time. Cord cutting is taking some of the arrogance out of providers which may help prices and customer service. But altice, sudden links owner is also one that believes in the cable business, a good thing. Google tried fiber, loosing huge money on what was an experiment. But wall street believes the future is in wireless and none of them are going to say buy this stock they are going to spend hundreds of billions to.put in fiber so people can get faster and cheaper access.
So we deal with people that mostly don't care if your service works well, only that it's enough to keep you mailing them checks. And dial up the price as often as they can get away with and not have mass exodus of customers.

Average Joe
AG
You have to split this discussion into two. Much easier to get internet competition than TV competition, but it will be limited to new neighborhoods for a while.

I like Austin's approach. They put in the fiber everywhere and the cable companies have to rent it from them. Multiple companies can use the same lines making it easier for competition to get started.

Edit: wrong emoticon
The Original AG 76
AG
wireless technology is growing at a near exponential rate. Read somewhere that we are almost at a point where wireless speeds and bandwidth COULD deliver all the data , voice AND video that the wired world now delivers. Of course the providers have a YUGE self interest in stalling these new technologies as long as possible in order to protect their gravy train BUT in 5-10 years I see real competition for delivery systems for our data/tv structure ...FINALLY !!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.