What is the reason that people stop a car length or so behing the car....

16,745 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BourbonandBeretta
slyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91_Aggie said:

K2T2 said:

Like a zillion people already said, because if you get rear-ended and hit the person in front of you, you're at fault. Also, I drive a standard, and it's annoying as **** when people do the slow, intermittent scooching forward thing at lights, so I often end up further back behind a car than I stopped.

This is wrong. If you are stopped at a light and some one rear ends you and they push you into car in front of you the guy who pushed is liable for both (or more)

SOURCE: Happened to me leaving Houston Airport. I was the one in the middle. Guy who hit me got tagged for both. I was not liable for the car he pushed me into.
I was not 1 to 2 car lengths behind. It was normal distance.

Agree with 91_Ag. Same experience here, rear vehicle that caused the wreck was responsible for all.
Story: Better half was involved in a 4 car pile up on University Dr a while back. Traffic was heavy, lead car decided to make a sudden yet slow right turn thus causing a small immediate backup. Last car wasn't paying close enough attention and rear ended the next car and caused a 4 car chain reaction. As said last car that caused the wreck had to pay for all damages. However the fool that made the careless right turn to begin with wasn't touched, paid no attention to what just happened behind them and went on about their way.

To what K2T2 said: yeah this inching up bothers me too.
Science Denier
AG
Stucco
Why are people upset about leaving some space. It is safer AND helps with traffic flow. You don't get where you are going faster by being stopped 15 ft closer at a red light.
RodTidwell
UPS teaches this driving method for multiple reasons:
1. Its allows space in case the vehicle in front stalls
2. Provides space in case if rear end collision
3. Provides adequate space @ start up so you will at the proper following distance at speeds under 30.

There are other logically reasons, but I can see the benefit of it.
nought
AG
Stucco said:

Why are people upset about leaving some space. It is safer AND helps with traffic flow. You don't get where you are going faster by being stopped 15 ft closer at a red light.
Yes you do. If everyone at the light stops 15 feet apart, a lot less of them will make it through the light once it eventually turns green, especially given the propensity a lot of drivers have of looking at themselves in a mirror, playing on their phones, or whatever, instead of actually paying attention to the light and starting to move when it turns green.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

If everyone at the light stops 15 feet apart, a lot less of them will make it through the light once it eventually turns green,
I don't think that is true. If everyone stops a car-length apart then everyone can begin moving when the light turns green an more cars will get through with a much better flow. This assumes all are paying attention.
K2T2
91_Aggie said:

K2T2 said:

Like a zillion people already said, because if you get rear-ended and hit the person in front of you, you're at fault. Also, I drive a standard, and it's annoying as **** when people do the slow, intermittent scooching forward thing at lights, so I often end up further back behind a car than I stopped.

This is wrong. If you are stopped at a light and some one rear ends you and they push you into car in front of you the guy who pushed is liable for both (or more)

SOURCE: Happened to me leaving Houston Airport. I was the one in the middle. Guy who hit me got tagged for both. I was not liable for the car he pushed me into.
I was not 1 to 2 car lengths behind. It was normal distance.

WHAT OTHER LIES DID THEY TEACH US IN DRIVERS ED?! Thanks for misguiding us about something we've all clearly developed habits to avoid, drivers ed teachers of America.
mason12
AG
I recently learned how to drive a standard and I greatly appreciate when there is room behind me in case I roll back. Now I leave room in front of me more especially if I realize the car in front of me is not an automatic.
biobioprof
mason12 said:

I recently learned how to drive a standard and I greatly appreciate when there is room behind me in case I roll back. Now I leave room in front of me more especially if I realize the car in front of me is not an automatic.
If you go all the way up to where your bumper is touching theirs, you're helping them not roll back.
atm86
AG
If avoiding what MAY happen is the reason, then don't get in the car in the first place. Duh!
FILO505
AG
Ornlu said:

I understand the need for photo evidence to drive home a point. But a White Castle? Is that on Holleman? Southwest? The state of Missouri?
YellowPot_97
AG
Quote:

If a car rear ends you and you hit the car in front of you, youre liable bease you stopped too close. If you stop 1.5 to 2 car lengths away, it wont happen.
lol this isn't remotely true
TexasAggie_02
AG
When SHTF and the zombies/aliens attack, I'd like to have a little maneuvering room to GTFO Dodge.
Wildmen03
AG
Whenever I see cars leaving that much space I make a point to go around them and pull into that space. I drive a super cab pickup truck, if I can do that, then it's too much space. Their reaction makes it worth it every time.

And the whole "leave space because if you get hit from behind and hit the care in front of you, you will be liable" thing was a scare tactic to get you to not stop so close, the liability is with the person that caused the accident.
Brewmaster
AG
Kitten, that picture was taken well after it occurred, hence the traffic lights have changed many times.

Clue: coolant running down the pavement
Stucco
nought said:

Stucco said:

Yes you do. If everyone at the light stops 15 feet apart, a lot less of them will make it through the light once it eventually turns green, especially given the propensity a lot of drivers have of looking at themselves in a mirror, playing on their phones, or whatever, instead of actually paying attention to the light and starting to move when it turns green.
This is absolutely untrue. Leaving a reasonable gap allows you to accelerate sooner after the light turns, and travel at the same rate of speed as the car ahead of you when going through the intersection. If stopped bumper to bumper, each following car must accelerate faster than the one ahead of it to achieve the same thing, and ultimately they cannot. Leaving gaps allows more cars to get through the light in a single cycle.
KidDoc
AG
Ever since reading this thread a few days ago I've started to notice the large gaps. It is odd. I've tried to see if it is people on their phones and sometimes it is but not always.

Personally I leave a decent gap for safety and acceleration once the light flips. Like mentioned above I usually leave enough where I can see the top of their tire.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Could be worse.

halibut sinclair
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Stupe said:

BlazeHarper said:

I would imagine it is a function of stupidity and not being aware. People drive in a fog these days and it is fascinating to watch their creative interpretation of traffic laws. I do not think they are stopping that far behind for any proactive reason regarding their safety. My top 5 "checked out" driving behaviors are

Stupid drivers don't leave space.

Really stupid drivers think that those of us that do leave space are stupid.
And infantile and arrogant jerks like to call others stupid.
FlyRod
Quote:

Ever since reading this thread a few days ago I've started to notice the large gaps. It is odd. I've tried to see if it is people on their phones and sometimes it is but not always.

I've noticed that its almost always the idiots who ride other peoples' bumpers that are on their phones. Either that or gesticulating angrily because somehow the car in front of them is keeping them from getting to McDonald's 5 minutes faster.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Wildmen03 said:

Whenever I see cars leaving that much space I make a point to go around them and pull into that space. I drive a super cab pickup truck, if I can do that, then it's too much space. Their reaction makes it worth it every time.

And the whole "leave space because if you get hit from behind and hit the care in front of you, you will be liable" thing was a scare tactic to get you to not stop so close, the liability is with the person that caused the accident.

Classy
Stupe
S
ag-bq-seventy said:

Stupe said:

BlazeHarper said:

I would imagine it is a function of stupidity and not being aware. People drive in a fog these days and it is fascinating to watch their creative interpretation of traffic laws. I do not think they are stopping that far behind for any proactive reason regarding their safety. My top 5 "checked out" driving behaviors are

Stupid drivers don't leave space.

Really stupid drivers think that those of us that do leave space are stupid.
And infantile and arrogant jerks like to call others stupid.
I don't like calling others stupid.

On the other hand, I don't mind calling stupid behavior stupid.
BourbonandBeretta
Ornlu said:

Because of this:

If a car rear ends you and you hit the car in front of you, youre liable bease you stopped too close. If you stop 1.5 to 2 car lengths away, it wont happen.

The remedy is to stop far away, and then to creep up once a car stops behind you.
I see a white castle in that photo did CS get a white castle?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.