ALDI grand opening

9,368 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stucco
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Fonzie it's too bad you got offended. I'm a local. Been here since 1979. I've seen more than most here, and less than quite a few I'm sure. Not planning on leaving. I like it here and the town for the most part has been pretty good to me.

Just always amazed by how other locals are so enamoured with new businesses like they've never been out of town before.

Its a great place to raise a family, which is more important to me than pretty much anything else.
This aint a B/CS thing.
Everytime something new opens out in the Cypress area , especially on 290 , it is the same phenom. Yuge lines and packed. Takes about 3 months before it settles down no matter how crappy it is. Even the Aldi was packed for a month or 2 but now it is mostly an empty parking lot.
Broncos
The other half wants to go check it out... I don't. Seems like it will be more of a headache and we would be battling crowds. Is it really worth it?
CharlieMac
They have $.59 a dozen eggs??

I now picture chickens in a Sarah Maglaughin-style tv ad.. needing my help.. just $1 a day will save them..
nashvilleaggie11
Actually $.49!
techno-ag
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

Actually $.49!
$5 off coupon until the 11th.
rhoswen
AG
The Aldi in kemah is right across the street from walmart. It's not worth it to me to make 2 stops, but their prices on cheeses (especially goat cheese, which I use a lot of) can't be beat.

Now that I've discovered grocery delivery, though, I don't have to make ANY stops!
Kashchei
AG
How was their beer selection? (if any)

The usual BMC macros?
CrottyKid
AG
I would kill for our Aldi to be closer. We can get staples for half the price of Kroger.

Pro-tip: If you don't have a quarter, stick the a key in the slot backward to borrow a cart.

Also, if you didn't bring your bags, just throw your stuff in some empty boxes they have around ala Sam's or Costco.
95_Aggie
AG
Is there an actual issue with people stealing grocery carts?
stinkerbelle
Actually there is.....Go look at some of the apartment complexes (in the not so nicer parts of town), there are a variety of shopping carts to choose from all of the local grocery stores, however that is not why Aldi's does the quarter thing. The reasoning for the cart rental is so people will put their carts up to get their quarter back, this saves the store from hiring cart attendant(s) and that is part of the savings passed on to consumers with lower prices, same thing for not providing bags and employees to do the bagging/sacking.
mgreen
AGnCS said:

Is there an actual issue with people stealing grocery carts?
It saves them money for having employees go round up the baskets in the parking lot. These places operate with only a dozen employees or so.
95_Aggie
AG
Makes sense. Didn't think of it that way.
Stupe
S
When I was a kid, Kroger used to have a cart program where kids could bring in a cart and get a stamp. When you got enough stamps in your stamp book, you got a voucher to spend in the store on non food items. It was a good way for young kids to learn that if you work, you get paid and when you get paid, you get to buy stuff.

Edit: Kroger was a different type of store at that time. It had clothing sections, toy sections, electronic sections, etc...
CharlieMac
So at "free"... the cart is a likely to get stolen..
But at $.25... it becomes "no way.. I refuse to pay that quarter for a nice shiny 2016 model cart to push my cat, sheets and collected cans around"?

A very fiscally disciplined homeless crowd here indeed.
Post removed:
by user
Stucco
The quarter is a psychological means to get people to not take carts to their car unnecessarily or roll them back themselves. They probably save $100+/day not employing a lot attendant.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.