Wayback burgers...my take

14,515 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
RodTidwell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I miss flip n peel as well, but I mostly miss the Stover Boy burger. Charliemac knew how to make a great burger.
Gigem314
AG
I tried Wayback last week. It wasn't bad. I just got the bacon burger with no sides.

Not the greatest burger I've ever had, and certainly doesn't beat the Cajun Burger from Harvey's as my favorite in town...but I'd put it ahead of most places in town. I'd be willing to go back.

Koppe Bridge is still pretty good but not what it used to be. And I think Grub is severely overrated. They have some cool concepts for burgers, but their beef is very mediocre and that's what ultimately matters to me.
pattybrhg
I'd be one happy camper if Stover Bros had been what he tried to franchise and just focused on that.
halibut sinclair
Stover burgers were nasty.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I think Grub is severely overrated. They have some cool concepts for burgers, but their beef is very mediocre and that's what ultimately matters to me.
Nailed it.
FlyRod
Humerous considering time and time again you've praised it. You need to be more judicious with your "nailed it's".
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Humerous considering time and time again you've praised it. You need to be more judicious with your "nailed it's".
Grub? No. You're thinking Napa Flats. That one I like. Tried them both, and over time I've been won over by NF. Not with Grub, though.
FlyRod
I am more than happy to dig up your old posts on this matter if you like...

To be fair you were one of the "kinda expensive for this town" detractors when they opened, but later admitted you go there. So I complement you on finally coming around.
techno-ag
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Which location did you have them at and why did you find them to be "nasty"?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Which location did you have them at and why did you find them to be "nasty"?
I'm pretty sure he was one of those negative nancies who enjoyed picking on Charlie.
BCStalk
1179 and Boonville! Literally the nastiest, greasiest delicious burger. Used to enjoy a few every week when it was there. Unfortunately he moved on from that location and it went downhill from there.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
1179 and Boonville! Literally the nastiest, greasiest delicious burger. Used to enjoy a few every week when it was there. Unfortunately he moved on from that location and it went downhill from there.
Agreed. I'd go there, cram in with all the other jokers, and get a whole bag of the things. Then things got weird.
CharlieMac
The most interesting thing about the restaurant to me was meeting people here and really liking them.
I always thought the area was boring as hell, but y'all showed up and made it fun for me!
halibut sinclair
quote:
Nailed it.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Just out of curiousity, how many of you actually own a business?

My wife and I tried it and we liked it and really liked the folks working there. I like the fact that's near campus and on the right side of Texas ave.....parking was hit and miss but we just had to wait for somebody to leave.

I would go again and I would recommend
(Removed:11023A)
AG
quote:

but so ****ing good
ChampsAg
Haven't tried Wayback yet. Still deciding based on conflicting reviews from friends.

Koppe Bridge as stated above is just not the same and IMHO is overrated.

Grub is ok but got burned out on it. Wife craved it during second pregnancy. Pricey and again as stated above, something off about the meat.

Miss Stover Bros. as well. Wasn't the same after Wellborn location closed.

Beat for me in town are Top of the Hill and Feed Barn with Margie's in 3rd. Carrolls in Navasota makes a good burger as well as the soon to open T Dubbs.
FlyRod
Can't wait for Hopdoddy. Another non "fat guy" burger option around here will be great.
australopithecus robustus
Margie's is good and then the best I've had without comparison is Cafe Eccell. It is awesome
Gigem314
AG
quote:
Margie's is good and then the best I've had without comparison is Cafe Eccell. It is awesome
Yeah, I think my second favorite burger in town is the 'Old Timey Burger' from Cafe Eccell. Bacon-infused patty with cheese, a parmesan crisp, and shreds of pickle. Great combination of flavors.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:

So nasty and filthy I wanted to spank them.
ChampsAg
I need to try Cafe Eccel
RodTidwell
quote:
quote:

So nasty and filthy I wanted to spank them.
Nice!
RodTidwell
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
I'm sure you meant to type "Stover burgers were tasty."

Damn that auto-correct.

Frio Cielo
quote:
Haven't tried Wayback yet. Still deciding based on conflicting reviews from friends.

Grub is ok but got burned out on it. Wife craved it during second pregnancy. Pricey and again as stated above, something off about the meat.

Beat for me in town are Top of the Hill and Feed Barn with Margie's in 3rd. Carrolls in Navasota makes a good burger as well as the soon to open T Dubbs.

I used to go to Grub quite a bit but quit going due to the tasteless meat. The burger taste good due to the extras, but the meat to me tastes bland. I don't know if it low quality meat or extra lean that has no taste?

Either way, to me they just don't takes like they did when they first opened.
PBR
Fer Gawds sake folks it's ground beef served on a bun
CharlieMac
PBR!! You're alive!! Congratulations! !
FlyRod
PBR with the POTD.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I used to go to Grub quite a bit but quit going due to the tasteless meat. The burger taste good due to the extras, but the meat to me tastes bland. I don't know if it low quality meat or extra lean that has no taste?

Either way, to me they just don't takes like they did when they first opened.
Nailed it. I suspect food costs have caught up with them. Gotta sacrifice somewhere.
techno-ag
AG
PBR maintaining his record with Cmac posts? No!
Frio Cielo
quote:
Fer Gawds sake folks it's ground beef served on a bun

You are so correct.

I am surprise that McDonald's with their 2 burgers for a buck hasn't driven everyone else out of town.

As stated, they are all just ground beef served on a bun.

BCStalk
What's your beef with McDonald's brah? See what I did there?
Rexter
Grub went from grinding their own to a packaged product. I don't know if it's a generic product or a Grub specification.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.