Most annoying/frustrating stop lights in B/CS

11,709 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Geralt of Rivia
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Sounds like more issues in cs than Bryan. Does anyone run lights? Like look both ways then go?
That depends. Are you a cop?

And one more light to add that seems pointless... The light between Koppe Bridge and the 2818 overpass at Wellborn. Traveling on Wellborn I sometimes see the light turn red, only to see zero cars go through.

And as far as living closer to work, I have lived in the big metropolitan areas where it sometimes took 1-2 hours to get to/from work when it should have only taken 30-45 minutes. I'm not so much complaining about how long it takes to get to/from work, but how much better/easier it could be if they did something as simple as just fixing the timing of these lights.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Life must be good in B/CS when our biggest gripe of the day is having to wait our turn for an extra couple of minutes to allow our fellow citizens get to where they are going.

Although, I don't feel that pain because I only have one or three lights between my home and office, depending on which office location I am going to. If you hate traffic lights as much as I dislike a long commute, maybe the solution is to live closer to work?
Nah. It's more fun to gripe.
FlyRod
quote:
Life must be good in B/CS when our biggest gripe of the day is having to wait our turn for an extra couple of minutes to allow our fellow citizens get to where they are going.

Although, I don't feel that pain because I only have one or three lights between my home and office, depending on which office location I am going to. If you hate traffic lights as much as I dislike a long commute, maybe the solution is to live closer to work?

Blue diamond from a fellow "one or three lights between my home and office" commuter.
oklaunion
Going east on Harvey and making it thru the Dartmouth intersection but the Munson light turns red.

I thought CS was paying some dude some serious jack to streamline these lights.
hillcoag16
AG
The "intersection" of Wellborn/Old College/F&B. Nightmare.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:

It's better than it used to be.
hillcoag16
AG
I guess that's true if you're coming from F&B
Law361
AG
The worst is when you get stopped at the light on George Bush going towards Wellborn right there at Callaway House and Penberthy at rush hour. The people turn left off Penberthy and traffic doesn't move on George Bush. When the light on George Bush turns green, you can't move. Unbelievably frustrating.
hillcoag16
AG
quote:

Got me again this morning
AgCPA
AG
I am particularly fond of grouping several within a few blocks (Rock Prairie for example) so that traffic can be a super mess instead of making some side streets turn right only or some other simple solution. Have to be everything to everyone.
TJJackson
quote:
quote:

I go through this light to and from work. Before the change, I loved the light on old college to turn to welborn then to f&b. I never waited more than 15 seconds. Coming the other way in the afternoon, I'd wait 5 minutes for a break in both directions just to get across to old college.

I have had a love hate relationship with that light before and after the switch.
marrocco
quote:
quote:
quote:

I go through this light to and from work. Before the change, I loved the light on old college to turn to welborn then to f&b. I never waited more than 15 seconds. Coming the other way in the afternoon, I'd wait 5 minutes for a break in both directions just to get across to old college.

I have had a love hate relationship with that light before and after the switch.

Once again, at 5am, this light gives a 40-second green preference to the Old College/F&B streets, despite the fact that the long line of cars travelling down the road are all in their garages and driveways and their drivers are still in bed asleep. The more heavily travelled Wellborn gets a 20 second green, then WHAM! - yellow to red light.
Mathguy64
AG
The southbound left hand turn from Texas onto eastbound Holleman. 90% of those in that lane are doing a U turn. So it's lots of cars that take twice as long because of how slow they take to make the turn. I Don't even bother any more. I just drive down to the next light, turn left and drive to Dartmouth from there.
TJJackson
I'm at that light everyday at or around 5:30 in the morning. I can count on one hand the cars that travel welborn at that light and I'm there for 2 minutes waiting for it to turn green from old college.
95_Aggie
AG
The best thing would have been to align those 2 streets, but I don't think the rr was interested.
PS3D
quote:
The best thing would have been to align those 2 streets, but I don't think the rr was interested.
I don't think the railroad had anything to do with it. They would have had to demolish the oil tanks or demolish a bunch of apartment buildings to make that work.
95_Aggie
AG
There is an old section of Finfeather Rd in front of those tanks they could have used.
Rapier108
Lincoln and University. All it takes is one person going straight, and the line will rapidly back up because no one can turn right on red.

Of course on the opposite side, the left turn lane backs up so far onto Spring Loop that often times those wanting to continue onto Lincoln or right onto University have to wait until enough people going left have moved up so they can even get up to the intersection. All it takes is one person parking their car on the side of the road to jam up everything on Spring Loop.
Scotch
AG
F&B/Old College were going to be aligned as part of the LoTrack project.

Thanks 1990ish College Station voters...
FNG
I exited the bypass to Deacon tonight. It was between 11pm and 11:30pm. Zero traffic.

The light at Deacon and Texas took a long time. Those traffic monitoring cameras they have at most intersections are supposed to be able to "see" vehicles and adjust the signal lights accordingly. That doesn't happen here and certainly not at Barron and Fitch.

What is that security camera monitoring that is at Deacon and Texas on the pole at the SW corner of the intersection?
Spyderman
AG
Sumlin has lost control of the traffic light system in BCS.
NellCote71
I moved away from CS for 15 years. Driving across the Brazos to move back, I remember thinking, "Surely, they have fixed the traffic lights by now." I was so innocent. Little did I know that they had only gotten worse.
mgreen
How is it possible there is not a light at Welburn and Fitch with all that volume of cars?
FNG
quote:
How is it possible there is not a light at Welburn and Fitch with all that volume of cars?

There have been some wrecks there as well.

It needs a flyover!
Capn Mac
The light I used hate most was Sulphur Springs at South College. To get a green light, tow cars would have to cross the sensor plates. Or you had to wait on the timer, which seemed to be on a sundial.

Holloman and Texas and 29th & East Villa Maria not among my faves, either.

For a while, I had a love/hate relationship with the light at Briarcrest and the Bypass.

Mind, all of those pale compared to any, every, light in DFW. Which is not helped by how DFW drivers only have a 1 second attention span, so any signal light causes them to do all sorts of things instead of paying attention to their driving. Like remember that they are turning left, despite having swerved into the right-turn-only RH lane. Eat the 4th course of their meal; use their tablet as well as their cell; and go for a full makeover instead of just weaves & extensions.
BrandoC
AG
Try being the one needing to turn right onto Rock Prairie on the side road right in front in the vet office. Jackass college kids literally never let any one out as if they are going to get caught by the train every time. I wish parents taught their children how to drive respectively before they send them off to college.
smilin bob

I deal with this on a daily basis. And you were complaining about...?
AgsWin2011
AG
quote:

I deal with this on a daily basis. And you were complaining about...?
I agree, they need do something about the area behind Northgate.
aggiegal99
I thought of this thread this morning as I drove down University at 5:15 from the bypass to Texas. I was caught at every single light...and not once was there a car traveling on a cross street.
Ric Clark
quote:
Crossing 29th St at Carter Creek. That light is crazy fast (if you're 3rd in line, you have to wait until the next cycle- which will be sometime next week). And, as I just mentioned, if you are crossing 29th or turning left, you'll be there awhile.

This is the absolute truth.........this light is totally dysfunctional.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
I think you may have your cause --> effect backward. We have all that volume of cars because there's no stop light.
Goose83
AG
quote:
quote:
Crossing 29th St at Carter Creek. That light is crazy fast (if you're 3rd in line, you have to wait until the next cycle- which will be sometime next week). And, as I just mentioned, if you are crossing 29th or turning left, you'll be there awhile.

This is the absolute truth.........this light is totally dysfunctional.
The one at 29th and Broadmoor is just as bad.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Texas and Harvey, all the people U turning to go to starbucks.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
Texas and Harvey, all the people U turning to go to starbucks.

Holleman?
aggiepaintrain
AG
40 & Arrington
EOT
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.