I just saw a hummingbird.

6,690 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by samIam4sur
BMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Had three or four cross bill red breasted grosbeaks about ten days ago feeding on the cape honeysuckle.
My usual four or five hummers have been back for about a month.
We have a partial leucistic cardinal .... has large areas of its body that are white.... feeding in our yard.

? Have the migrating routes for geese changed? We didn't see any this year and very few that past couple of years. (just NW of Huntsville in Walker County).

Also, we saw no robins this year. I did see two in Huntsville last week.
Haven't had juncos in several years in the winter.
No painted buntings last summer.
I've posted this article before. I too had wondered about the lack of geese flying. Time changes things.

Decline in Texas geese numbers

I have seen Robins and Juncos this year. I also had at least 30 hummingbirds around several days ago but that number has now dropped though as I type and look out at the double feeder there are 10 there.

Some of my sightings can be seen here. Birds
Aggies76
AG
I'm a newbie at feeding the hummers. Are they gone for the spring? When will they be back for the fall?
happyinBCS
Is this my friend DH in the old neighborhood ?
turfman80
AG
The initials are correct. Need a hint on your end !
turfman80
AG
quote:
I'm a newbie at feeding the hummers. Are they gone for the spring? When will they be back for the fall?
The ones at my feeder have moved on. Took it down yesterday cuz the solution was getting old and cloudy in just a day or two. They should be moving back through starting in August sometime, although a few stay around through the summer (the really tough ones!)
Aggies76
AG
Thanks turfman!
InMyOpinion
Just got moved and decided to put out a feeder and within 8 hours had 2 hummingbirds feeding
Aggies76
AG
I had only one feeding for a while but i haven't seen him for several days.
samIam4sur
Hummingbird spotted this morning!

It's going to be a great Friday.
BMo
I have had them all summer.

samIam4sur
I wish they would stay around. Do you have feeders out?
BMo
Yes I do. I moved into this house the end of June and had seen a couple during construction. I saw one fairly quickly after we moved in and immediately put out a feeder. They (5 or 6) have been here since.
jrhmc
AG
They weren't around for most of July but I started seeing them again yesterday.
Tailgate88
AG
We have two or three that seem to be locals. I have been feeding them since spring, even after the migration ended. We have also had what appeared to be a pair of monarchs that have been hanging around for nearly a month but have not seen them in the past few days.
CS78
I saw 3-4 this week for the first time since spring. All poking around the area where my feeders usually are. Assume they are the same birds starting to pass back through.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
We have two or three that seem to be locals. I have been feeding them since spring, even after the migration ended. We have also had what appeared to be a pair of monarchs that have been hanging around for nearly a month but have not seen them in the past few days.
We raised and released 27 monarchs over the month of July and my daughter has around 20 caterpillars eating their way to their metamorphosis in my dining room right now. I think she's going to do something with monarchs and butterfly gardens for her Silver Award project.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
quote:
We raised and released 27 monarchs over the month of July and my daughter has around 20 caterpillars eating their way to their metamorphosis in my dining room right now. I think she's going to do something with monarchs and butterfly gardens for her Silver Award project.

Very cool! If someone wanted to do the same how would they go about it?
jrhmc
AG
Plant milkweed for starters but you need to plant a local variety, not the Tropical Milkweed you see everywhere. The tropical variety is very prone to a disease or mite that can harm the caterpillars. Teaching people how to make their own monarch garden is one of the things my daughter is wanting to do for her project so look for information to come out in the spring.
FlyRod
Have been seeing a lot lately. I think of them as winged harbingers about to lift the foul drought curse of studioone.
samIam4sur
Good idea for a Silver Award project! I had a hard time finding milkweed and still trying to figure out whatelse to plant to attract butterflies.

Would love to hear more about her project or if she decides to do this as a mini-project/foundraiser.

~Girl Scout Lifetime Member, Gold and Silver Award
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.