Cajun restaurant

12,100 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by deh40
Post removed:
by user
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Remnants of Nawlins. Blackened catfish and dirty rice are awesome!

Agreed on the blackened catfish. Try their potato salad. It's really different but I really like it. The wings are good too.
Rhinos GB
Howdy! Sorry that I am just responding, but I was just made aware of this thread. I am the owner of CajuTex Foods, "Crawfish to Geaux" and the new "Cajuns Bayou Grille in Wellborn!" Allow me to clear the air and provide accurate information. We are not open yet. We hope to open in about a week or so. Since we are not even open yet, it's very possible that some who have posted their reviews have mistaken our "Cajuns Bayou Grille" with another establishment. For those with concerns about the building, I assure you all major concerns have been addressed. New HVAC, no longer on old septic system. We will have improved parking, have improved the facade, decor, and have hired professionally trained Chefs in the kitchen. The building is not owned by me, therefore we will not be removing walls and adding garage doors on the north wall to open it up. The City zoning restricts any additions, redesign, or any major changes other than what we have completed. The style of food is simple, Traditional Cajun. What that means to me is easy to define. This is the food and flavors that I grew up with in my hometown of Houma, (60 miles SSW of New Orleans). Gumbo, Jambalaya, Etouffee', Poboys (on real New Orleans French Bread), Red Beans & Rice, Creole, Boiled Seafood, Grilled Seafood, Blackened products and more. To address an earlier comment, the delay in opening is due to proper preparation of the staff and the building. We will have issues to overcome, as will any business upon opening, but processes will be adjusted and efficiency increased. Thank you for the excitement and we are just as excited to open too! A special thanks to the community of Wellborn who has left notes, stopped by, emailed and called to simply say "hello and welcome to the area!" The crew at Hullabaloo really make us feel welcomed too so a BIG shout out to "Hullabaloo Diner!" Please follow us on Facebook for accurate information and details on out opening. Here we geaux! AAAAEEEYYYEEEEEEE!!

edited to add website for info. www.cajunsbayougrille.com
LunitadelNox
I logged in just to star this.
momlaw
AG
Click here for website
Aggie
AG
I will defenitly give them a try and hope they can stick around but man that's a big risk IMO to go into an area that over the years has had far more failed restaurants than successful. That location alone has had several restaurants come and less than a year later they are gone.
Good luck.

CactusThomas
AG
The location is fine. Other businesses have failed there because they were terrible. Chubby's was the worst of the lot. $10 for a pulled pork slider that wouldn't have filled me up in 3rd grade. Maroon Saloon was better but they didn't have a good business plan, as they didn't focus enough on being a sports bar.

I look forward to eating at Cajun's. If the food is worth the money, they will succeed in this location.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Sure wish Hebert's would come back.

Really looking forward to Cajun's, but man what I would do for a Hebert's Pot Roast sandwich!
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
The location is fine. Other businesses have failed there because they were terrible. Chubby's was the worst of the lot. $10 for a pulled pork slider that wouldn't have filled me up in 3rd grade. Maroon Saloon was better but they didn't have a good business plan, as they didn't focus enough on being a sports bar.

I look forward to eating at Cajun's. If the food is worth the money, they will succeed in this location.

Second on the locale....see Hullabaloo Diner. There is a lot of growth on the "other" side of the tracks and a lot of desire for real close eateries. Good Cajun is just about as good as it gets so this new place should be a hit. Looking forward to their opening. Like someone said above... I might just stick my head in and see what's up!
CS78
quote:
quote:
Sure wish Hebert's would come back.

Really looking forward to Cajun's, but man what I would do for a Hebert's Pot Roast sandwich!

Good stuff for sure. A Cajun pot roast sandwich isn't standard Cajun food. It's on the menu at the new place so I'm guessing if they are going there it will be good.
kevmiller
A man who had spent his whole life in the restaurant business once told me.

"The 3 most important things for a successful restaurant are ... Location .. Location .. And location. "

Yes Hullaboo has done well.
But just look at the number of restaurants in wellborn that have closed down or relocated. I think that has to be of some concern.
It's naive to to say .. " oh the location is fine".
biobioprof
quote:
Razzoo's is nasty. I look forward to trying this new place.
We were going to try Razzoo's a while ago when Swamp Tails was closed for some repair thing. Didn't even go in because the music was so loud from outside that we figured the inside would be painful.
biobioprof
quote:
A man who had spent his whole life in the restaurant business once told me.

"The 3 most important things for a successful restaurant are ... Location .. Location .. And location. "

Yes Hullaboo has done well.
But just look at the number of restaurants in wellborn that have closed down or relocated. I think that has to be of some concern.
It's naive to to say .. " oh the location is fine".
He may be correct (although I believe that meme was coined for real estate, not restaurants), but please tell us who this was so I can avoid his restaurants.
australopithecus robustus
1) hullabaloo 's is an anomaly.
2) the city will disallow anything cool or imaginative
JR Ewing
AG
Definitely excited that you are coming to that location! We will absolutely give you guys a try and I wish you the best of luck!
justalocal
There has been a lot of growth in the last few years.

Don't forget about Yole's, they seem to be doing good in their location (the former game time pizza).

We went to chubbys once, wasn't that great in our opinions. The country cafe was always so hot and stuffy inside but we enjoyed it. Looking forward to Cajuns.
Brewmaster
AG
any plans for outdoor seating? of course if there are no trees, that may not be worth pursuing.

Despite being outside of CS, if its really good cajun food, people will come. "People will come Ray"

I have cajun blood and grew up in Louisiana. I make killer gumbo... looking forward to trying the place!
Rhinos GB
Thank you for all of the comments. We are hiring and training staff, so please encourage your friends and family to apply! We'd love to add more outdoor seating including the original plan for a covered 1200 sqft patio, however, the City will not allow due to zoning restrictions on this location.
FlyRod
Not sure if this was asked already, but will y'all still be running the Crawfish to Geaux truck?
Uncle Howdy
S
I look forward to trying it out once it opens
CS78
quote:
Thank you for all of the comments. We are hiring and training staff, so please encourage your friends and family to apply! We'd love to add more outdoor seating including the original plan for a covered 1200 sqft patio, however, the City will not allow due to zoning restrictions on this location.
Boooooo City of CS planning and zoning!! What is the reasoning that would not allow it? It's obviously allowed a few doors down.
Rhinos GB
To answer a few questions.... Yes, "Crawfish to Geaux" will be in full operation including both retail and caterings. Here's the situation in a nutshell..... The restaurant property is not zoned commercial, it's zoned rural. I am only allowed to improve 10% of the building other than maintenance. I can not expand, nor change without a variance (which was not accepted/approved/allowed). I am handcuffed. Even if City of College Station were to change zoning to commercial (as they are currently discussing), I would then be required to upgrade immediately to comply with all current zoning if we were to proceed with patio plans. In order to add the patio, additional parking must be added, existing parking will have to be upgraded to asphalt or paved, parking lighting added,.. yadda yadda.... let's simply say that is is not wise for me to make a very costly investment into a property I do not own. The changes and improvements made to this point are purely upgrades needed to provide the quality of service and comforts needed for my guests. We have added outdoor seating as best we can to the existing porch. Now... nuff about bitness... let's get ready for some good food & fun! AAAEEEEEYYYEEEE!!!!!! We hope to be open in 7-10 days. Like on FB for updates. Thanks and "Gig-Dat!"
UmustBKidding
The issue is there is no zoning for it to happen. This location existed along with the other place you mentioned before the borg assimilated the area. So currently you are not allowed to change much, repairs and small updates are all that are allowed. They will begin zoning once the comprehensive plan has been adopted and the definitions of each zone type are created. Then people can apply to have zoning change from the existing Rural default zoning. Of course the insta-slum builders have already requested zoning more dense for area south of there than what the proposed comprehensive plan says. That restaurant area is supposed to get zoned "Wellborn Commercial" but what that is even is still TBD. There have been requests for other lots in that area to be zoned standard commercial but last I heard the P&Z recommend against (hard to believe that sanity prevailed within the COCS city hall)
I don't think there would be any issue with outdoor seating with the proposed wording of "Welborn Commercial" it mainly restricts building heights, signage and the like. But since its not define, and not zoned that all you can do is fix what is there not modify it.
But this is just part of the game of development in the COCS. They must inject themselves into every process. I know several general contractors that build restaurants and retail stores around the state and they all say dealing with CS is the worst of the worst. They say places like Las Colinas and Frisco have lots of rules but at least there is some rhyme or reason to theirs, but not with CS. They bring plans they have built in Texas cities large & small without issue and they are totally unacceptable here. They all charge extra because if you want to build here. Just part of the game.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
To answer a few questions.... Yes, "Crawfish to Geaux" will be in full operation including both retail and caterings. Here's the situation in a nutshell..... The restaurant property is not zoned commercial, it's zoned rural. I am only allowed to improve 10% of the building other than maintenance. I can not expand, nor change without a variance (which was not accepted/approved/allowed). I am handcuffed. Even if City of College Station were to change zoning to commercial (as they are currently discussing), I would then be required to upgrade immediately to comply with all current zoning if we were to proceed with patio plans. In order to add the patio, additional parking must be added, existing parking will have to be upgraded to asphalt or paved, parking lighting added,.. yadda yadda.... let's simply say that is is not wise for me to make a very costly investment into a property I do not own. The changes and improvements made to this point are purely upgrades needed to provide the quality of service and comforts needed for my guests. We have added outdoor seating as best we can to the existing porch. Now... nuff about bitness... let's get ready for some good food & fun! AAAEEEEEYYYEEEE!!!!!! We hope to be open in 7-10 days. Like on FB for updates. Thanks and "Gig-Dat!"
Why does College Station make it so hard on small businesses? SMH.
UmustBKidding
COCS P&Z You are just lucky to have them, just ask they will tell you.
originaltexan
Will Gulf Coast Shrimp be served?
FlyRod
Great question and I hope so. I've only had them at The Republic here in town.
Uncle Howdy
S
Question: Are you planning to serve beer right away/at any point? Will it be BYOB?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Crying shame the City of College Station continues to hamstring people who want to add something beneficial to the local landscape. My god, city council, and their dictates, have become an extension of a homeowners association.

And, FWIW, you HOA and NIMBY types are one of the many things that is wrong with the world in which we live. You have nothing better to do than complain about anything that challenges your current situation. Yet, you ignore the fact that progress around growth is an obvious conclusion. If you don't like it, I'm sure there's some land in Robertson County that would be ELATED to add you to the tax rolls.
redchapterjubilee
I thought it had already opened. I drive by it every day and I've seen the parking lot full of trucks. Guess they are workers instead of patrons.
dachsie
quote:
According to Boudreaux, the cook, on the mentioned site,

" When I moved to Bryan, Texas in 1988, I quickly discovered that there were not many places that served quality Cajun favorites and boiled seafood cooked the way I was used to eatin' it, so I created "CAJUNS Bayou Grille" to fix dat! "

Didn't get in too big a hurry to 'fix dat'.
That sounds encouraging, because I have yet to find true Cajun anywhere in this area except my own kitchen.
Rhinos GB
Questions answered:

1. Originaltexan: Yes, I only use domestic Gulf shrimp. I believe in that. In fact, all of my seafood is domestic if it is available when the order is placed. The cost is higher, but I think the product quality out weighs the cost difference. Those who know the product don't mind the small increase in price for the quality they receive.

2. Fonzie & Wade: We will serve beer & wine only. The permit is in place and we are stocked up. Beers include Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Miller Lite, Coors Light, Shiner, Dos XX, Abita Amber, and Abita Mardi Gras Bock all in bottles. No draught. Wines include "Copa" brand: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio and Riesling. All single serve. I will not allow BYOB.

3. Dachsie: You are correct. I am not in a big hurry to "fix dat". I'd rather do it right than fast. I'd rather train a team to be as prepared as possible. I'd rather have a kitchen team trained for consistency. I'd rather create processes that have a chance for success and efficiency at the same time. When we open, we will make mistakes, but taking these steps will allow fewer mistakes and we will adjust. This simply takes time. For the record, two months for COCS restriction clarification, moderate remodel, decor, infrastructure repairs, facade improvements, paint, sign installation, and parking improvements..... ain't bad at all! Just sayin'. As with many other parts of the country, the flavors and styles are a lil' different across the immediate area. My recipes are different than yours. My hope is that I can compare or at least be in the ballpark for your approval.

The restaurant feel will be a "Cajun Shack"..... nutin' fancy.... No super high end fancy dishes ... nor low end frozen food pre-breaded seafood.... just my recipes that I grew up with, prepared by a real Chef and her team, prepared fresh and served.

We look forward to opening... and have decided that the ONLY day that is perfect is FAT TUESDAY, Mardi Gras Day! The first week, we will only be open for dinner. Hours will expand to lunch as we ease into full operation. Please understand, we will make mistakes and we will fix them. Please introduce yourself to me when you stop by as I would love to meet you and personally welcome you to "Cajuns Bayou Grille".

"Gig Dat"!

Uncle Howdy
S
Thanks for the reply. What time will you be opening for dinner during that first week?
Rhinos GB
We will be open at 4pm for dinner opening week.
susieq30
quote:
quote:
Razzoo's is nasty. I look forward to trying this new place.
We were going to try Razzoo's a while ago when Swamp Tails was closed for some repair thing. Didn't even go in because the music was so loud from outside that we figured the inside would be painful.

Music is loud on outside but not loud at all inside. I've been there 4-5 times and have really enjoyed the catfish, shrimp and hushpuppies. Also enjoyed the crawfish fondue. Not a fan of their gumbo or boudain balls. Will have to try some of their other dishes. Service has always been great. I would definitely give them an A++.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.