Bryan-College Station to get an Interstate Freeway!!! (I-14)

12,293 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgFan1999
rhoswen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I saw some talk recently on the news. Is there an updated timeline on when the segment going through BCS could be built? I saw a stretch near Belton is being constructed now.
halibut sinclair
It's going to take years and years and years and years for hwy. 6 and 21 to be re-built to interstate standards.
Drewmeister
AG
US 190 is now signed as I-14 and with 75 mph speed limits from west of I-35 near Belton to Copperas Cove. Not sure what they're doing east of Belton but it would make sense to bypass Temple.

Last I heard they hadn't decided on a route through BCS. The proposal was to follow US-190, but that makes a lot of zig-zags going from Cameron to Milano, Hearne, Bryan, Madisonville, Huntsville. Following FM 2095 and TX 30 is much shorter, but would require massive road upgrades/new construction. Even 190 isn't up to Interstate standards except for small sections (e.g. the part doubling Hwy 6 in BCS), so whatever the route ends up being, it will be opened as I-14 in sections after the road is upgraded.

It IS happening but may take a decade (or more) to complete, and there might be several years with disconnected sections of I-14 until the intervening parts are upgraded, as with I-69 now.
SARATOGA
Quote:

We can start by building a 40/47 connector...

WDF/40 has already been ruined by the College Station traffic idiots (stoplights).

Maybe a 159 to 47 connector has a chance of success...
AggiePhil
AG
Last map I saw had it coming down 6 from Hearne and then cutting east on Harvey or Fitch (two options).
Chris98
AG
Seems to me they should take 21 just west of town then go diagonal through the Brazos bottom
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I saw some talk recently on the news. Is there an updated timeline on when the segment going through BCS could be built? I saw a stretch near Belton is being constructed now.
By "constructed" you mean "re-signed" because US-190 was already more or less Interstate-grade. Parts of Killeen were upgraded with a third lane but the stretch west of Belton had already been constructed several years back.

As for going through College Station, from what I've seen there are no dual-signed state highways and Interstate highways in the state (as far as I know). At most Highway 75 (paralleling I-45) serves as a two-way frontage road briefly for the latter, so Highway 6 would either have to be completely bisected (sort of like two Highway 360s, in Austin and in Arlington, neither of which have hope of connecting) or have Highway 6 have two frontage roads, the main highway, and then the Interstate running between that (so, for say, Harvey Road, there would be four bridges over it, not two--think 183 and 130 out near Austin).

SARATOGA said:

How is that anymore plausible than 47 and 40? The main problem with the two is the condemnation of areas between them (the original mid-1990s plan was building a freeway on the west side of the railroad, but apartments and the Barracks make that increasingly unviable).

Highway 47 and 40 are still plausible since you can build main lanes to bypass the stoplights, the hard part would be the right of way required east of Highway 6, and then they'd have to move Fire Station 5 for the same reason why they had to move Fire Station 3. Then, of course, the Highway 47 and Highway 40 signage is discontinued.

Highway 30 would have to be also bisected (maybe discontinuing the Highway 30 name entirely in College Station, since this is the terminus) or have the highway parallel Highway 30 (which would remain two way).

Big problem with 47 would be that it's pretty close to the airport and on TAMU grounds, and the existing interchange would have to be altered further. In theory, going west through College Station-Bryan would yield the following interchanges:

- OId Highway 30 (maybe) --this would lead back to Boonville Road
- Rock Prairie Road
- Lakeway Drive/Highway 6 Frontage Road/Arrington Road (four stoplights!)
- Highway 6 (flyover ramps!)
- Victoria Avenue
- Barron Road/Wellborn Road (Wellborn Road access is WB only)
- Holleman Drive South (after it goes over the railroad and overtakes part of North Graham Road)
- Rock Prairie Road West and Blue Ridge Drive (probably paralleling or overtaking North Dowling Road)
- North Dowling Road and Hopes Creek Road (again, this is all in theory depending on how it goes through that area)
- Health Science Center (flyover ramp BEFORE FM 60)
- Raymond Stotzer Parkway
- Villa Maria Road West
- Leonard Road
- 5th Street (or whatever they want to name the entry road for the Relish Campus)
- Highway 21 (probably do the dual highway thing at this point) at the flyover
- Another entrance toward Highway 21 at Caldwell

Then the highway would probably intersect over Highway 36 north of Caldwell and finally connect with the existing Highway 36 at Milano, or something like that. Or I guess they could widen Highway 6's ROW and stick I-14 in the median but that would make Highway 6 even more of a mess than it is now.
techno-ag
AG
I dunno. I don't think they're going to worry too much about us. They'll build the interstate east to west and have an exit sign for us somewhere.
LOYAL AG
AG
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

WDF/40 has already been ruined by the College Station traffic idiots (stoplights).

I disagree. It looks like It's built to accommodate future lanes in the middle so that the existing lanes become feeder roads.
rocketscience
AG
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

The current part of WDF will actually just become the future frontage roads. It is the same as 47 is, it is built to allow minimal disruption to traffic flow when a freeway needs to be built because it can just be built in the middle while the public continues as normal. If you're familiar with Austin, they are planning a project similar to this on Loop 360. Harvey Mitchell from Wellborn to Texas is similar to this although one side of the future freeway is built and parts of the frontage roads are. In order to bring it to freeway standards, it will require the construction of new lanes for eastbound traffic (that is why there is a large open grassy area south of the current road) and construction of the rest of the frontage roads.
PS3D
CJHajda said:

SARATOGA said:

Quote:

The current part of WDF will actually just become the future frontage roads. It is the same as 47 is, it is built to allow minimal disruption to traffic flow when a freeway needs to be built because it can just be built in the middle while the public continues as normal. If you're familiar with Austin, they are planning a project similar to this on Loop 360. Harvey Mitchell from Wellborn to Texas is similar to this although one side of the future freeway is built and parts of the frontage roads are. In order to bring it to freeway standards, it will require the construction of new lanes for eastbound traffic (that is why there is a large open grassy area south of the current road) and construction of the rest of the frontage roads.
The construction of the pedestrian walkway and other development has more or less made Harvey Mitchell between Wellborn and Texas becoming a freeway nearly impossible, even if it was originally designed as such.
AgFan1999
AG
Please don't feed the SARATROLLGA.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.