Bryan-College Station to get an Interstate Freeway!!! (I-14)

12,258 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgFan1999
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is great news!
Does anyone know when this area will get the designation?
Are Highway 6 and US 190 the same highways?
Where will it be located in this area?
It has been said that BCS is the largest metro in the country without an interstate freeway. What will this do for the local economy?

US Highway 190 to be renamed, designated as Interstate 14

Future Interstate 14 should help Brazos County Aggies better reach SEC stops
techno-ag
AG
The Chronicle's article quoted the Huntsville city manager as it being not a 5-10 year horizon but more like a 10-30 year horizon.
jja79
AG
It will take more than 10 years to vet the route options and acquired right of way. Then another 10-20 to build it.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
It will take more than 10 years to vet the route options and acquired right of way. Then another 10-20 to build it.

It won't happen.
This country will be gone by then.
Aggie
AG
" I-14 runs both ways"

Not quite the same ring just yet
Scruffy
AG
quote:
" I-14 runs both ways"

Not quite the same ring just yet

Trigger warning!
Don't invade my safe space bro!
PS3D
We can start by building a 40/47 connector...
jja79
AG
The first phase the Aggie Freeway went from FM 1960 to Tomball and covered 8 miles. I took 19 years. No one alive today will live to see this.
techno-ag
AG
Was that federal or state funding? Interstates have higher priority than farm-to-market roads.
halibut sinclair
TexasAggie_02
AG
I would like to know how this interstate is going to work. 190 is a zig-zag CF. Are they going to use eminent domain and make it a straight shot? It would make no sense for this to be an interstate.

The Original AG 76
AG
It would make SOOOOO much more sense to turn hwy 6 from I-10 to I-35 a reality ( and improve I-35 to give the state an alternative Ft. Worth/dallas to Houston artery. Not much need for a lot of eminent domain.
techno-ag
AG
It may follow 30 instead of 21. I don't think they've decided yet.

jja79
AG
quote:
Was that federal or state funding? Interstates have higher priority than farm-to-market roads.

It's a toll road with an FM as a starting point.
Picadillo
Get ready for more crime.
techno-ag
AG
There will prolly be more crime in 30 years from now anyway, with or without an Interstate.
FlyRod
jeremy
AG
I'm missing something. Why do we want this?
isitjustme
AG
You're not missing anything - most of us don't want it. But we're just rubes who don't understand what is needed in order to have a happy life.
AC Hopper
S
As so many want, Texas will secede from the union before 1 stake is pounded into the ground on this, so it won't be necessary to have another interstate within the boundary of the new country.

So don't worry.
Never gonna happen.
The Grinder (99)
AG
My understanding is a major driving force of this highway is to connect ft bliss (el paso), ft hood, ft Polk, camp Beauregard (both Louisiana) and other military installations further east.

Ft hood is a big fort to not have Access to reliable east/west transportation .

If you haven't been to that area lately, hwy 190 from Belton through Killeen and east to lampasas has had a LOT of work and (I've read) already meets interstate standards.

The route from Belton to b/cs would need a good amount of work. I drive that a lot and some of it has been done (bypass around Heidenheimer) and the second bridge over Little river.

jja79
AG
Is Hearne BCS? Isn't that 190?
halibut sinclair
I-90 is 6 between Hearne and BCS, then 21 from BCS to Madisonville.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
The first phase the Aggie Freeway went from FM 1960 to Tomball and covered 8 miles. I took 19 years. No one alive today will live to see this.
Tony because they couldn't get it as a tool road at first, if they finish it off as a toll road it'll be built faster which I thought was the plan
PS3D
quote:

249 wasn't even designated as a highway until 1988 and a major part of that was Compaq having a huge HQ in the area. When Compaq suffered due to the dot-com boom and was eventually bought by HP, vast portions of the original complex were vacated. Development on 249 pretty much ground to a halt right about that time. Coincidence?
techno-ag
AG
Any upgrades to roads in east Texas and central Louisiana would be very nice. Trying to get to Alexandria is a pain from here. Lots of little towns and two lane roads.
Tex Aggie
AG
It would make more sense to me to have an interstate follow the path of TX 36. This would run from coast by Freeport (could connect to west Houston) to I-20 in Abilene.
C ROC N
If it's going through BCS, it should be switched to I-12thMan!
PS3D
quote:
Get ready for more crime.
From the looks of it, it will go through Bryan entirely. You won't notice a thing.

(I kid, I kid)
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:

249 wasn't even designated as a highway until 1988 and a major part of that was Compaq having a huge HQ in the area. When Compaq suffered due to the dot-com boom and was eventually bought by HP, vast portions of the original complex were vacated. Development on 249 pretty much ground to a halt right about that time. Coincidence?
249 is a state road. Road funding in Texas has been a total cluster f for decades. This is a fed project that is funded. It should actually happen BUT it still will be decades before we see any real activity.
Al Bula
AG
What a crock of horse sh t. I guess all federal projects will now have to kowtow in some way to politically correct, feel-good garbage.
quote:
Interstate 14 is referred to as the "14th Amendment Highway." This name honors the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which provides for equal rights to all persons in the United States, which is of particular importance in the Deep South, through which I-14 would traverse.
SOURCE: http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-014.html

95_Aggie
AG
quote:
What a crock of horse sh t. I guess all federal projects will now have to kowtow in some way to politically correct, feel-good garbage
First World Problems. You should find something important to get upset about.
jja79
AG
My point was a major government road project moves at a glacial pace.
Post removed:
by user
dachsie
This would be awesome for me if it were to happen now. I drive the route this interstate will take to go home to Alexandria regularly. I will no longer have any family left to go visit there by the time this will be done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.