Mad Taco

11,917 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr. Griswold
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Went right after they opened at 11am. No line at all. I had the jerk chicken taco and chips/salsa. The salsa was roasted and served warm, which is what I prefer. The jerk chicken taco was delicious. While the cilantro was visible on top of the taco, I really didn't taste it at all. I'll definitely be back to try out some of the other tacos.
halibut sinclair
Me love cilantro.
originaltexan
Can Greg give us an update?
jh88ag
AG
quote:
Me love cilantro.
Based on the amount of it on the Mad Taco menu (as well as many other restaurants) you certainly are not the only one. While I'm not allergic, I do dearly despise the taste. I definitely appreciate that Mad Taco at least lists it on their menu item descriptions; some places seem to enjoy surprising me with it.
thefarcus
Are they using Maine Root for their soda like Torchy's?
Kate Beckett
AG
As far as I know, it's Coca Cola products.
pattybrhg
I went at 1ish. The short rib taco was great the pork one meh. Queso was good but small and overpriced for what you got. Drinks are coke products but they were out of both coke and Dr pepper. Not bad but some opening growing pains for sure. If you like torchy's you'll love this place. Better taco ingredients but less sauce options.
GTXM
Long line but worth the wait! Hope they are here for the long haul.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Long line but worth the wait! Hope they are here for the long haul.
A good strategy might be to go to the old taco place (Torchy's at the moment) until crowds at the new place die down.
FlyRod
Mad Taco is way way better (ducks and waits).
mgreen
Went at 1:40 and parked at the front door. Only two tables occupied. Unique decor and colors to say the least.
nickstro66
AG
Went tonight and really enjoyed it. The food was pretty reasonably priced and they had good margaritas. I think it'll be my new favorite taco place in the B/CS area.
Whoop04
How is the beer selection?
FlyRod
Pretty good.
Aggies76
AG
Tried it early last evening and it was GREAT. I had the corn and avocado pizza with a mango marg and my husband had two tasty tacos. Sat outside on patio. Service was excellent but was not very crowded at the time. May be one of our new favorite places. This place will be really crowded once people figure out where it is. It can definitely substitute for Fuego or Torchy's.
Max06
AG
Holy cow, this place is awesome. Like Madden's, I am glad it is WAYY out of my way, or else I'd eat there all the time.

Carne Guisada taco was perfectly spicy, tad greasy but delicious none the less. Mahi taco was also exceptional. I cannot wait to go back & try some other menu items.
Whoop04
With other gourmet taco places nearby, I doubt I will go back. I had a the short rib taco and pork taco. The short rib meat was fantastic. The menu is lazy though. Similar ingredients for every taco with just the meat changing. Craft beer list was underwhelming. Has a very obvious cold/new construction feel.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Looks great. I question their choice of location, however. Hope they make it there....
Seems like every taco place in town is in a questionable location. Doesn't seem to affect them for some reason.
FlyRod
Location may have been why El Galindo closed and why Wokamole is closing.
techno-ag
AG
Torchy's in its "cursed" location is still holding on. People complain about the Fuego location, but still go there. Fuzzy's isn't in a great location either.
Scruffy
AG
Can someone explain what a gourmet taco is?

Are they turning into the next fajita? Where what was considered cheap meat and an easy way to have street food is now special and costs a lot?

Is anything in a tortilla a taco?
FlyRod
Scruffy perhaps a "taco monster" could explain it all. I believe Fonzie Scheme knows how to get one's attention.
Scruffy
thefarcus
Just went for lunch and was pretty happy overall. Their "tamale style" tortilla is really good, tastes like a meatier flour tortilla. Fresh ingredients and you can actually taste everything. Not over seasoned and good temperature. I tried the fish taco, the tuna (wrapped in a lettuce leaf), the brisket and the pork. Going to go back and try something else next time. Definitely worth a try.
redd38
AG
The food is great, just wish there was a little more of it for the price. I don't mind a $5 taco, I'd just hope that at that price two would fill me up, but that was not the case. I'll probably still go occasionally though.
FlyRod
When I first went there I was curious how their modest portion sizes would go over with the BCS dining crowd...and a little concerned. But I find their tacos a tad bigger than Torchy's, and they're doing fine.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Torchy's in its "cursed" location is still holding on. People complain about the Fuego location, but still go there. Fuzzy's isn't in a great location either.
But both are in College Station... who has time to drive all the way to Bryan?
FlyRod
Peter Madden has always been smart enough to keep his restaurants away from the bypass.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
It is freaking awesome. We now have 5 restaurants in town that dont suck.
Picadillo
Taco Casa por favor
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
But both are in College Station... who has time to drive all the way to Bryan?
Well played, sir. Well played.
originaltexan
Greg just called and said he is the king of review.
AggieJason
AG
A colleague and I went for lunch and were pleasantly surprised! Between he and I, we had the chili rubbed salmon, ahi tuna, and a beef dish. All delicious! We had no idea, going in, that it was a Madden creation. The man himself was there today! I will def. be back.
mgreen
Tried the pizza. Wow and I do not say that often.
chiwowwow
Love Maddens. Love, love, love Mad Taco !
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.