Early hummingbirds?

10,915 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by freshfrenchfryfanatic
dachsie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I put my feeder out Sat and almost immediately had one but have seen none since. I think they are later because it just warmed up a couple of weeks ago.
Tailgate88
AG
Reminder to self: put out feeders this weekend!
FlyRod
There are a LOT of easy to grow plants that attract them too that you can scatter here and there. The folks at Producers, or a bit further afield the Antique Rose Emporium in Independence are good with information on this. This tends to give them a little healthier feed then that red stuff that goes into the feeders.
Brewmaster
AG
WC87, I'd have the feeders as far apart as possible. They're very territorial.

Hummingbird plants (1st hand knowledge)
Flame Acanthus
Salvia greggii
Coral Bean (gets very big)
Coral Honeysuckle
Crossvine

Some of those are hard to find around here, maybe Circle D has them.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
This tends to give them a little healthier feed then that red stuff that goes into the feeders.

They get most of their nutrients (and protein) from eating bugs believe it or not. Nectar and sugar water are just energy sources (calories).

Make your own sugar water (4 parts boiled water to 1 part table sugar). Clean out the feeders periodically to get rid of / avoid mold. "Rinse and repeat".
BMo
I planted Firecracker plant and Turk's cap in a hummer bed this year. I put two feeders out a couple of weeks ago but no sightings yet. They enjoyed my coleus last year as well.
Yellowstone2010
We had 2 show up this morning to our feeders. Should be a good weekend for migrants with the cold front coming through this afternoon/tonight.
BMo
Lots of birds right now. The white bird on page one is my photo. It hasn't come back which really wasn't expected that it would.

humming bird feeding frenzy

Leucistic hummingbird

Tamu science

Tailgate88
AG
We had a pair hanging around the feeder most of the summer, and a few more show up lately, but we nothing that leads me to believe the migration has started yet though.
BMo
quote:
We had a pair hanging around the feeder most of the summer, and a few more show up lately, but we nothing that leads me to believe the migration has started yet though.
Did you watch the video in the first link? That was this morning. From photos and video I have seen I believe it probably has started. I now have six feeders out and they are being emptied very quickly.

Brazos Co. sightings
Tailgate88
AG
Not that much activity here yet, but we're ready for them!
BMo
Muzzleblast
I've had about 6 here in North Grimes County. They are hitting the feeders all day.
AgCPA
AG
I have a few year round, they always migrate through in big numbers mid august to first week in sept and stay till mid October. It varies a week or two from year to year. But showing up any time in august is normal.
BMo
Video from yesterday.

hummingbird video
Tailgate88
AG
Still no migration near Wellborn....just my three locals.
PBR
For the last couple of days we have had 20 on the back porch and 20 on the front porch...They empty 4 feeders daily..................Between Bryan and Hearne........
BMo
I need to go refill the feeders for the second time today as we speak.

Brazos Co. hummingbirds

Brazos Co. hummingbirds II

Pyewacket
AG
Saw 2 today. What do y'all think is the best food? Commercial mixes like at Lowes or homemade?
BMo
quote:
Saw 2 today. What do y'all think is the best food? Commercial mixes like at Lowes or homemade?
IMHO the homemade is better. I've been through almost 10 lbs of sugar in just a few days.
Spiderpig
Anyone have any luck yet this spring? In past years they've usually shown up in mid-March. Wasn't sure what to expect with the mild winter, so I put the feeder out ~10 days ago. No visitors yet...
BlueMiles
AG
I've seen *one*, Wednesday. It didn't visit the feeder.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Definitely homemade sugar/ water mixture... We also have a hummingbird/ butterfly garden that they really like:

Mexican Honeysuckle
Salvia greggii
Crossvine
Coral honeysuckle
Butterfly Weed - mostly butterflies, but I see hummingbirds hit it too.

at our last house:
Coral Bean (worked as well as a feeder), but they get huge unless they get hit by a cold winter (then they'll die back to the ground). They'll be very tough to find for sale around here, but online I'm sure you could find them. They'll ship just fine - they're nearly indestructible.

We have a resident Monarch that showed up a couple days ago that likes the butterfly plants in the garden:
Verbena
Butterfly Weed
Guara
Gazanias
Bulbine - mostly honey bees
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
They have coral bean at Producers in Bryan!
samIam4sur
I'm looking for a hummingbird feeder I can attach to our wood fence. Any ideas?

I have a Shepard's hook in the ground that holds one feeder, but want to add a few more feeders.

Haven't seen any visitors at our feeder yet.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
Producers may have what you are looking for. If not, you can go to Lowes and they have metal hooks you can attach to fences (or trees) and then hang one off of that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.