5th grade graduation gifts?

19,429 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by isitjustme
Leslie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any ideas for a 5th grade graduation gift for a boy? I need help coming up with something to take to the ceremony!
iisanaggie
AG
A few balloons with maybe a small gift card. I think these are neat award ceremonies, but, imho, all of the "graduations" have gotten out of hand!
Aggie
AG
I didn't even realize there was such a thing as a 5th grade graduation.
Or is this like a Billy Madison thing where they throw a party after passing every grade
Leslie
I agree about graduations and even kid birthday parties getting out of hand. However, I want to take a little something.....
isitjustme
AG
quote:
Any ideas for a 5th grade graduation gift for a boy?

6th grade - just right for the graduating 5th grader. It'll fit a boy or a girl for that matter.
TKDMom
I never would have thought of 5th grade as a "graduation" type of occasion, but I'm sure a nice card with a gift card tucked into it would be appreciated.
Leslie
It actually is a pretty big deal at the school. I will keep ya'll posted about the event!
ringrit
Gamestop gift card - my 5th grade boy LOVES video games and Gamestop!
Tanya 93
quote:
Gamestop gift card - my 5th grade boy LOVES video games and Gamestop!

Was going to be my suggestion.
AggiePirate
AG
Don't forget this:

Srsly its perfect.
AggieJason
AG
A "Good Job!" card from Hallmark and maybe a $10 gift card.
Lock for the locker the kid will get in 6th grade. The locker is a big deal. Or maybe a cool lanyard if the kid will have to wear an ID in 6th grade. Both are rights of passage.
Talon2DSO
AG
Nothing. Graduating 5th grade isn't an accomplishment worthy of a gift. Better gufy isvteachung your kid not to expect agift for having a pulse.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
My kid is in 5th grade and hasn't said jack about "graduation". Her grades clearly indicate a second tour is out of the question. I'd like to think she's a chip off the old block and realizes that any graduation ceremony before you walk across the stage with marketable skills that can actually better you in this world are a farcical waste of time. But, I digress.

[This message has been edited by Fonzie Scheme (edited 5/29/2014 7:44a).]
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Nothing. Graduating 5th grade isn't an accomplishment worthy of a gift.

Boom. This.
carpe vinum
AG
a nice participant ribbon
understandingmom
something for their first locker..... simple. I agree with not gifting all the time but a nice acknowledgement and reward for good character and grades could encourage them to keep up the good work.
for those that expect perfection and don't reward might need to update us in 10 years. I feel a continual pressure on a child of not being good enough and always feeling they were below their parents standards is going to get old to the child and they will finally give up trying to please. some children are just need a verbal good job and some need a little extra.
and 5th grade for cs and 6th for Bryan is when things start to change and " count" in my opinion.
so....a locker-- sign, mirror, bottle of mouthwash, can of axe, ??? it's a boy so nothing pretty.
Talon2DSO
AG
Graduating fifth grade requires a pulse and is far from demanding perfection. Perhaps your standard for gifts and attaboys is incredibly low.

If your standard for your kid is barely above mouth breathing and windowlicking, then don't mind me and get the gift YOU think is worthy and stop a seeking approval from TexAgs.
vaaggie86
AG
did not know you graduated from 5th grade.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
While I do think we have gone overboard with all of the "graduations" (kinder, 5th, 8th) it's not the kid's fault that the schools decide to make a big deal out of these. I certainly wouldn't plan a huge graduation party and a trip to Europe but I do think it would be nice to give a card with a little gift card inside.

I think all kids need a pat on the back after a long school year (this is assuming they have worked hard all year and are deserving of praise - if they slacked off and got in trouble all year, they get nothing except a piece of paper saying "work harder next year").
AggieCat1989
Absolutely a lock for the locker. My son just finished 5th grade in intermediate school (C/S) and the locker was a HUGE deal this year. Give 'em a lock and they can spend the whole summer practicing using it and memorizing the combination.
understandingmom
all of you that don't think it is worth acknowledging.... please don't go to your child's ceremony. that way there will be more parking and seating for those of us that want to be there.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
for those that expect perfection and don't reward might need to update us in 10 years

See, here's where you went too far. You insinuate that those who expect "perfection" can only reward by acknowledging an absolutely worthless ceremony. Nonsense. I reward my child in many ways. She's only 11 and, heck, even she understands there are multiple ways to show you're proud of them.
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
quote:
for those that expect perfection and don't reward might need to update us in 10 years

See, here's where you went too far. You insinuate that those who expect "perfection" can only reward by acknowledging an absolutely worthless ceremony. Nonsense. I reward my child in many ways. She's only 11 and, heck, even she understands there are multiple ways to show you're proud of them.
Tagguy
AG
Gotta love all the precious snowflakes.

We should shower them with gifts for things they should be doing anyways. If we don't then how will they know how unique and special they all are...just like all the other snowflakes?
jja79
AG
I have sons graduating from both 5th grade and medical school this month. I didn't get either of them anything.

Actually my 5th grader isn't graduating. Just advancing to 6th. It would never in my lifetime have thought of that as a gifting opportunity.
duffelpud
AG
Well when I was a young duffer, moving from 5th to 6th grade meant going from king of the elementary school to punching bag of junior hi. I recommend a course from this guy:

Tanya 93
Pre-K graduation

Even he knows is it a sham

Tariny
Not all schools have lockers. My youngest goes to Rudder and does not have one.

A card and some cash is what I would give, then you don't have to worry about picking the right store like you do with a gift card.
stinkerbelle
If the school(s) want to go all out and graduate every child, each year with a graduation from each grade, more power to them. I will attend my child's graduation and we celebrate with ice cream for dessert after supper or an extra hour to stay up past bedtime or something that makes my daughters happy, but I refuse to buy gifts for my own child or anyone else's for this. I graduated every grade and I didn't have a graduation or party or get rewarded until I graduated from High School. I also don't buy school pictures twice a year....my child picks the one she wants Fall or Spring, but she doesn't get both. I also don't buy a Year Book every year. It is getting ridiculous and as a Mom that is on a strict budget, these are frivolous and ridiculous expenses. My child is rewarded, just not in ways that will make her feel entitled for the rest of her life. She is raised like I was raised, you work hard, you don't get rewarded for everything you do, the reward is in the satisfaction of completing a task and being proud of yourself for accomplishing things. Sometime it is a struggle because I want my kids to grow up with the values and morals I did and they sometimes see what other children are getting and getting away with and that want a piece of that too, but we have family talks and we tell them why we want them to do things the way we teach them and they are happy and understand and are great kids. To each their own I guess, this is just my opinion and how we do things.
The Anchor
AG
This thread
PS3D
Just take him out for ice cream. Still, I can't help but hearing the "celebrate mediocrity" quote from The Incredibles.
Tanya 93
I brought my son a balloon. He loves balloons and never gets them just because...
TexasAggie_02
AG
a handshake and an "atta boy" and call good.
justcallmeharry
S
How about a nice box of thank you cards so the child can have an easier time writing the thank you cards to all those that bring gifts?

Oh, that's probably not done these days.

Harry...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.