Bryan/College Station Area History. Tell your story or what you know or remember.

32,748 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Poot
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long has Koppe Bridge been at the Wellborn location? I know most of the bldgs further south of that are newer (i.e. the strip mall,duplexes and such)
gutmancometh
I remember a Christmas store on Harvey, an arcade in Culpepper Plaza, a all you can eat taco bar at a bar called Excalliber on 29th st, and the basement at Woolworth's in downtown...
1984Consol
I don't understand how nature can only fill half a pond with silt and leave the other have full of water but you guys still live there and I don't so you guys know more of how it all really happened more than I do.

Another really cool change on Google Maps I have noticed is the intersection of 2818 and Wellborn Road. When we left in 1997, that intersection was just a fourway with a flashing red light in all directions. Now it is a huge interchange with bridges, even one going over the railroad tracks!! That is so cool! When was all that done? I remember traffic backing up on all four sides, and if you were unlucky enough to have a train pass by you were cut off of the rest of the city if you were coming from Bryan (until the train finished going through).
PS3D
Stoplights were added around 1999. Construction on the overpass began in 2009 (at least with the detours and all) and concluded in 2011.

EDIT: I'm sure on the last two dates, not 100% sure on the first one, but I know that there are a few TexAgs posters that would love to prove me wrong...
1984Consol
Has it really help alot to alleiviate the bottlenecking or have the stoplights made it worse?
Oogway
Once it was finished and all the gameday folks that tried to make left turns (where the former westbound road used to be) figured out things were different, I think it helped. If I remember correctly the overpass doesn't have a height posted, but I don't think any trucks have run into it...yet. It does, however, have a very tight right hand turn to the westbound ramp that has made for some interesting predicaments that I have witnessed.
The police patrol it frequently because the eastbound folks forget to slow down before they get to Consol while the northbound drivers (on Wellborn) don't always notice that it drops to 45 prior to the overpass.
Traffic that backs up now tends to occur at Holleman and Wellborn, especially when there is a train.
MSTC Man
AG
wellboriginal said:

A friend of mine lived out east of the bypass off of 30 somewhere. I thought that was WAY out of town back then, but it really isn't very far when I think about it today.

There is an RV park on Hwy 6 south of Fitch down past Nantucket. A friend used to rent the house that is there by the feeder road. It was just a rental house in the "country" back then, there was no RV park.

I remember passing the Tower Point water tower to head down there and thinking "Good God, why would anybody want to live so far out."

The rumor with that house was that way back in the days of Old Army, that house kept a red porch light on at night and there were ladies of the evening that "worked" in some of the bedrooms (I think there were five bedrooms).

My friend claims that he had a couple of old Ags from a class in the 1950's come by one night to see if they were still "open for business".

Wellborn was a place for pasture parties and initiations of new members of certain organizations on campus.
The house you are speaking of was an old massage parlor from the oil boom days of the late 70's and early 80's. There were actually several massage parlors between CS and Navasota.
Rex Racer
AG
gutmancometh said:

I remember a Christmas store on Harvey, an arcade in Culpepper Plaza, a all you can eat taco bar at a bar called Excalliber on 29th st, and the basement at Woolworth's in downtown...
The arcade of which you speak was called "Games Galore". I have an arcade cabinet that runs MAME that came from there (it was stamped under the control panel).
Post removed:
by user
woodiewood1
PS3D said:

Yeah, Burdett & Son's was in that center. Academy did use to have the "bait bar" in the store, it was later removed. Probably left to right as I remember it in the last days was Academy, Burdett & Son's, a mattress liquidator, Copy Corner, Jason's Deli, then Joe's Books. I could be wrong on a lot of those things, but I remember that Joe's Books was closest to George Bush, and is about where the ramp is now. Jason's was one of the last things to be razed, and for a while, it hung off at the edge of the center.

Under Redmond Terrace's original "wiggly roof" was an interior passageway much like a mall, but by the time of the early 2000s, a lot of stores renovated out the roof and interior passageway. B&S used to use that area to display larger items like kayaks.

At Bee Creek Park, there was a bridge that connected to Longmire's apartments, but it was destroyed at a point before with only a gas/water conduit leftover. Eventually this was all cleared and rebuilt when they clear-cut Bee Creek around 2006.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 5/5/2014 10:37a).]
Wasn't the passageway at Remond Terrace the front of the strip center made out of glass and aluminum? The old post office at the end ended up being a used book store.
Poot
Mr Peacock's original Shipley's Doughnuts was at the very corner of S College and Ehlinger. It was like going into a diner with most of the seating along a counter. He later built the facility that Janik bought and I also ate tons of Shipley Deluxe burgers in HS. Grew up on Ehlinger in the 50's (got a cat buried under those apts) Times have changed for the better....but I do miss some of the good stuff. I really do miss the old Youngbloods.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.