Debit Card Surcharge becomes Illegal Today!! (9-1-13)

50,865 Views | 556 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Pinata Man
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coach Dub
MisterShipWreck
kewl beans.
Prune Tracy
Carnwellag2
quote:
It's a new law and they're trying to figure out how to enforce it when it's the merchant collecting the fees, and I threw a wrench at them with our unique situation. Three months is fairly reasonable, and they did call me during the interim to tell me they were still working on it.

seem like if they are going to pass a law, they should know how they will enforce it.

city ordinances are similar: we have a bunch, but can't/ won't/ don't know how to enforce

federal immigration laws: can't/ don't know how to enforce.

having laws without enforcement leads to good civic minded people following them and criminals not.
Coach Dub
Why haven't The Eagle, KBTX or KAGS picked this story up?
FlyRod
Why don't you barrage the media with endless requests to do a full blown expose and see what happens?

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 1/9/2014 8:44a).]
TexasAggie_02
AG
all the media in college station troll this board for stories. probably just too lazy to go after local businesses that may be buying ad space or seats them right away.
FlyRod
My guess is (and its just a guess) that they don't consider the story as significant and vital as a handful of people on my bcs do.

But I could be wrong about that.
TexasAggie_02
AG
theft is theft. that little bit adds up
MiMi
S
KBTX did run a story about the debit service fee a few months ago.
FlyRod
NM.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 1/9/2014 10:29a).]
nwspmp
This was the KBTX story

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Businesses-Include-Service-Charges-for-Debit-Card-Purchases-207371831.html
w8liftr

[This message has been edited by w8liftr (edited 1/9/2014 11:07a).]
AggieBB
AG
Coco Loco on Welsh is still charging the 49 cent service fee.
marrocco
File a complaint with the state Department of Banking, providing such documentation as your receipt and pictures of any signs they have posted advertising the fee.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Ate at la bodega last night, they still have the .49 fee.
snick
quote:
theft is theft. that little bit adds up

Right!
rhoswen
AG
So I was at Spec's today, and I went to go check out. Total was six something. When I showed her my gift card, she said "oh" and hit something on the computer and it went up to seven something. Does this mean they're also charging a fee to use their OWN GIFT CARDS????
BCStalk
Same here at Specs. Even though the card was purchased with cash. I'll stay away from there from now on.
TheAlarmGuy
specs charges a 5% fee if you use a card of any type..

What i would like to know is if the CC companies started to charge you (consumer) to use their card would you stop using Cards altogether??
Carnwellag2
specs gives a discount for cash. which is the same thing as charging more for credit card, but they have worded it correctly to comply with the law.

Actually, they have worded it the way the majority on the board want them to.

Alarmguy -charging practices of credit cards is akin to the charging practices of realtors. If they actually charged the cardholder, fewer people would use them. At specs, you get to see what the cost of using plastic is and most would dish out cash if they had it. save 5% is better than the CC rewards.

Same with real estate, if the buyer actually had to pay their agent directly (instead of the seller), it would be a completely new landscape.

Imagine if a home was for sale for $250,000 (if you use an agent, then 3% higher. How many would use an agent?
CharlieMac
I don't use this fee, primarily because I would then be more inclined to read this thread more..
.. but I can tell you from other restauranteurs that it does not affect their business and they makes extra profit.
FlyRod
This thread began last September. I can see the outrage here has really had an impact on local business practices since then. Lol...
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I don't use this fee, primarily because I would then be more inclined to read this thread more..
.. but I can tell you from other restauranteurs that it does not affect their business and they makes extra profit.

Not actually true, and the surcharge is illegal.
rhoswen
AG
A gift card is not a credit card. It doesn't have to go through VISA (so they are not charged for that) and should be treated same as cash, especially since it's likely the fee was also charged when the card was purchased. What a racket.
rhoswen
AG
Pita Pit also charges the fee for using credit.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Same here at Specs. Even though the card was purchased with cash. I'll stay away from there from now on.

So, would Specs charge 5% on a giftcard paid by credit card, then another 5% when redeeming the card? How lucrative.
CharlieMac
quote:
quote:

Not actually true, and the surcharge is illegal.

Yes. It's *actually* true. Not just perceived as true, by a tiny vocal group.
The surcharge is being used with different language. Again, I don't like the perception, so I don't use it.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I have several restaurant owners who have told me the surcharge affected their businesses negatively.

It doesn't matter how you try to relabel the fee. It's illegal, and those who continue to charge customers for it will not ultimately benefit from it.
marrocco
(Notice you can submit complaints about the fee to consumer.complaints@dob.texas.gov ; I included a receipt and pictures of the black sign with mine.)

http://i.imgur.com/gJWfGZB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t3yocBy.jpg

[This message has been edited by marrocco (edited 1/13/2014 4:08a).]
Carnwellag2
Big Government! (sarcasm)
Coach Dub
quote:
(Notice you can submit complaints about the fee to consumer.complaints@dob.texas.gov ; I included a receipt and pictures of the black sign with mine.)

[/URL" class="postlink" target="_blank">
[URL=http://imgur.com/t3yocBy]

[This message has been edited by marrocco (edited 1/13/2014 4:08a).]

Hopefully, the above complaint you filed wasn't against Sully's since they've gone out of business.

Keep us updated!!
DontBeTriggered
To think government is going to do something about this... don't hold your breath...they're too busy wasting our money to care.

[This message has been edited by MonkISMYHero (edited 1/16/2014 8:23a).]
FlyRod
Is this your spill- over rant from the Eccell thread?
I wasn't aware this Charlie B person who seems to be the focus of ire was "the guvmint."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.