Aggie Toll Road

9,554 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
EastTexasAg1994
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cdub,

What Saw was trying to say was that he liked being fairly close to Houston, but not close enough to be convenient. Also, I disagree about the Houston sprawl distance from us. Drive towards Montgomery on 105 (about 15 minutes that way) or down towards Plantersville and Magnolia. It is coming this way fast and this will just speed it up.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's no where near done. The planning phase comes before the environmental phase, and that crap takes YEARS. I'd say that area will take 3-5 years just for enviornmental clearance. See grand parkway.
techno-ag
AG
Don't confuse "construction done" with "done deal."
OnlyForNow
AG
I know techno. For it to be even ready for start of acquisition of property they would have to preform enviornmental inspections which haven't happened yet.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
I am not familiar with all the towns mentioned but know Todd Mission is where the renaissance festival is.

Will this mean that going from CS to TRF requires a toll road, or is this somewhere else?

You would not have to take the toll road. You could go the same way you do now via 105.
Scooley01
AG
I don't see the point...it's already not that long of a drive, and everyone already drives 80+, especially once you get to 290.
techno-ag
AG
Bump for an update. Estimated completion in 2022.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Work-on-new-Highway-249-extension-to-start-in-Grimes-County-this-fall-493726281.html
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
happyinBCS
armymom
"Aggie Expressway"
D_Wag97
AG
10 miles will still be two lanes? Awesome...
AggiePhil
AG
Don't really see the point of this thing. Maybe I'm missing something.
toolshed
AG
Faster route to more urban sprawl? I can't imagine that many people will use it for the tolls to pay for it. Maybe over the next 20-30 years. But I guess it gives people a quicker option to get into the northern side of Houston. Maybe it shaves 20 minutes off the trip to downtown, for a premium?
jja79
AG
If you're headed downtown this would be the wrong route.
toolshed
AG
Maybe now, but by my eye, the "Aggie Expressway", when complete is a straighter shot to central Houston than driving south to Hempstead, then SE into Houston via 290. More direct route as the crow flies, less traffic in theory because of the tolls.
doubledog
D_Wag97 said:

KBTX :
Quote:

A 10 mile stretch of the project will be a two lane, non-tolled road in Grimes County while the rest of the highway will have tolls.

That will also mean 10miles of stoplights spaced every 1 to 1/2 miles depending on the housing developments (see highway 105 Conroe for an example).
MTTANK
AG
They missed something critical in the planning stages. This will bypass the monster buc-ee's! Likely to stay using 290
GIG 'EM
kyledr04
AG
doubledog said:

D_Wag97 said:

KBTX :
Quote:

A 10 mile stretch of the project will be a two lane, non-tolled road in Grimes County while the rest of the highway will have tolls.

That will also mean 10miles of stoplights spaced every 1 to 1/2 miles depending on the housing developments (see highway 105 Conroe for an example).

Yeah. That's going to ruin it. Was hoping for a better route to IAH.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Unless there are overpasses where you can avoid intersecting with those subdivisions. 99 between 290 and 10 is a great example of traveling through subdivisions but not intersecting with them except through entrance/exit ramps.
techno-ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

Don't really see the point of this thing. Maybe I'm missing something.
I for one am all for more and better highway access to BCS. I was for expanding 6 to four lanes, 21 to 4 lanes, and hope 30 to Huntsville gets 4 laned someday. A faster route to IAH is to be celebrated, IMO.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
doubledog
AGnCS said:

Quote:

Unless there are overpasses where you can avoid intersecting with those subdivisions. 99 between 290 and 10 is a great example of traveling through subdivisions but not intersecting with them except through entrance/exit ramps.

I hope that will be the case, however TxDOT's modus operandi is to lay down tar first, see where the wrecks happen (or the developers squeal), put in stop lights and then after years and years build overpasses. Your example of 290 followed TxDOT's modus operandi. First there was the two/four lane, then the stop lights (~1990's), then the overpasses. I hope TxDOT does it the right way this time.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Your example of 290 followed TxDOT's modus operandi.
I was focusing on 99. I can't remember any toll road ever having stoplights.
jja79
AG
I'm curious where you would exit to go downtown.
toolshed
AG
jja79 said:

I'm curious where you would exit to go downtown.
Well, a quick view would give a couple options, 249 to the Beltway to either 290 (down to the I-10 exit, or Beltway to 59, or Westpark, or any of the other options) or 45 into downtown, depending on traffic, since 249 as a highway ends at BW8. I'm not really interested in arguing about it though. If you don't agree with me, then that's OK by me. We don't have to ride together...

I simply proposed that it's a straighter shot into Houston vs BCS to Hempsted then 290 (which is a parking lot at rush hour) into the central park of Houston. I typically take a different route every time I go into the medical center for follow ups, using Waze to avoid the worst of the traffic.
jja79
AG
I wasn't arguing. I was asking your opinion. I live at 249 and Spring Cypress and when I have to go into town I get to 290 as soon as I can. I do think with the circuitous route this new road will take 6 to 290 will be faster. Just my opinion.

Honestly once you hit Houston there isn't a good route. It's a cluster.
doubledog
AGnCS said:

Quote:

Your example of 290 followed TxDOT's modus operandi.
I was focusing on 99. I can't remember any toll road ever having stoplights.

Am I was discussing the 10 miles of the Aggie expressway in Grimes County that will not be a toll road (at least for now).
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.