Aggie Toll Road

9,441 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
nhamp07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also talked about in the BOR meeting after the vote on the Kyle Field Renovation was a toll road from IAH to S CS that would have an 80 mph speed limit that would get you there in less than an hour.
Post removed:
by user
rhoswen
AG
No. Just... no.
Tradishun
And did the BOR mention how much it would cost? Or how it would be paid for? Sounds like classic BOR jacka$$ery to me.

Tell you what, BOR: Work instead on what you can do to improve the core missions of teaching and research. Stop this other garbage. You're being paid by taxpayers.
techno-ag
AG
The "Aggie Expressway" is pretty much a done deal. It will be a toll road from Navasota and is expected to indeed shave off about half an hour between CS & Bush Intercontinental.

http://wtaw.com/2013/04/26/local-bodies-support-aggie-expressway/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_249
FlyRod
Wow. No wonder the BOR is rapidly losing credibility. Faculty and staff morale at an all time low and they fritter away time and energy on...this.
carpe vinum
AG
[Be nice, or don't post. - Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 5/1/2013 9:43p).]
Newbomb_Turk
This road is nowhere near a "done deal" yet.
carpe vinum
AG
It sounds like funding has been secured and is being fast-tracked.
Newbomb_Turk
Could be. Still not a "done deal".
techno-ag
AG
It's being done in stages. Stage 1 is done. Stage 2 is in design phase. Local government is expressing support for design work to start on Phase 3. The BOR is not "wasting time" on a resolution of support.

quote:
Jason Stube of the city manager’s office says the resolution asks the state to start the process of designing the third leg of the freeway, between Navasota and Todd Mission.

The Bryan City Council and Brazos County Commission also approved resolutions.

Design work on a six line toll road is underway from Todd Mission to Pinehurst.

A multi-lane lane highway that will become a toll road currently exists from Pinehurst through Tomball to the Sam Houston tollway in north Houston.
FlyRod
That means it is still not a done deal.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 5/1/2013 9:02p).]
nhamp07
AG
A&M is not paying for it. just supporting it. one small item on the agenda. you people get so bent out of shape for nothing.

Yall always talk about the drive to IAH. I thought this would be a 100% for thing here.

[This message has been edited by nhamp07 (edited 5/1/2013 9:22p).]
O.G.
Part of the reason I moved here was because this isn't Houston.
Conroe, The Woodlands, Katy, Tomball etc, may all have different names, but guess what, they're Houston.

So, if this community that I chose to live in back in the 90's because of it's proximity to, but distance from, major cities, becomes just another suburb of Houston, I'm out of here.
Newbomb_Turk
quote:
It's being done in stages. Stage 1 is done. Stage 2 is in design phase. Local government is expressing support for design work to start on Phase 3. The BOR is not "wasting time" on a resolution of support.

I thought we were discussing the final phase of this road between north Houston and Navasota. It's nowhere near a "done deal". "Support" has been "expressed" by the "BOR" and "City Councils" of "Bryan" and "College Station" for "years".
O.G.
"Support" was expressed for the TTC by both local City Councils and it did poorly.
threecatcorner
I am not familiar with all the towns mentioned but know Todd Mission is where the renaissance festival is.

Will this mean that going from CS to TRF requires a toll road, or is this somewhere else?
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
you people get so bent out of shape for nothing.

Same folks are anti - TAMU BOR/Sharp/Governor on every thread.

We could use some moderation around here.
PS3D
I imagine that this will cannibalize 105 and cut through lots of countryside.

Also wondering why this ends in Navasota and not a connection closer to campus.
threecatcorner
So what about Todd Mission, Pinehurst, etc.? I can't imagine they'd be in favor of this. I'm guessing they're considered too small for their opinions to count.
Newbomb_Turk

Same person is pro - TAMU BOR/Sharp/Governor on every thread.

FIFY.
toolshed
AG
quote:
Also wondering why this ends in Navasota and not a connection closer to campus.

With all the dollars spent on HWY 6 south of CS a few years back, why waste money on buying up land with eminent domain and tick off landowners just to shave an extra 5 minutes.

If you draw a straight line from Magnolia to BCS, HWY 6 already pretty much follows that line from CS to Navasota. It's the jog east to Planterville that adds the mileage.
SumAggie
Some folks just want some transparency from TAMU BOR/Sharp/Governor...
AgCPA
AG
Well when they call it a "toll" road isn't the funding rather obvious? just sayin. But I think it is good for TAMU and thus it is appropriate for the BOR to support it. They are not paid employees other than Sharp. Simply voicing support for the idea is no big deal and is about the only thing they can do. It didn't cost anything to do that.

[This message has been edited by AgCPA (edited 5/2/2013 8:15a).]
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
Some folks just want some transparency from TAMU BOR/Sharp/Governor...

Ok but is this the thread for it? Really? Because the BOR said, "Hey, this looks and sounds like a pretty good thing"? Or is every thread appropriate?
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:

Same person is pro - TAMU BOR/Sharp/Governor on every thread.

FIFY.

Meh, fair enough. But this is a stupid thread to cry about the BOR.
SumAggie
the OP was about the BOR...

I would think that they have their hands full micro-managing the faculty and staff.
Nom de Plume
AG
Sorry, on my phone. Posted on the wrong thread. I'll quit now.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Back to the Aggie Express,
95% of the roadway will utilize current road easements. I think the only eminent domain will be the part that goes around Magnolia and the SH105 connection. There might be a few more minor areas, but most is on top of exisiting areas.
Scruffy
AG
I think it's a good idea.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
This road is nowhere near a "done deal" yet.

Don't argue with him Turk. He'll have is 75 socks vote you down......again.
TexasAggie_02
AG

did they seriously us MSPaint to make the map!
Scruffy
AG
That's needs some farking/photoshop.

Knox it up!
ClassicArnold
SawGunner- I'm a fan of yours! Thank you!!!!!
CDub06
AG
quote:
Part of the reason I moved here was because this isn't Houston.
Conroe, The Woodlands, Katy, Tomball etc, may all have different names, but guess what, they're Houston.

So, if this community that I chose to live in back in the 90's because of it's proximity to, but distance from, major cities, becomes just another suburb of Houston, I'm out of here.

You have a weird definition of "Houston." Conroe and The Woodlands certainly are not Houston. College Station will most definitely not be considered Houston. Cities grow, it's natural development. CS will never be encompassed by the Urban sprawl of Houston.

The bold part of the quote makes no sense...College Station is not physically moving. The highway simply makes access to Houston more convenient. Don't expect it to cause Houstonians to suddenly migrate in and snatch up all of your land and your reservations at Texas Roadhouse

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 5/3/2013 3:19p).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.