New Thai restaurant in Bryan

3,572 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by acp46
ellipsiscricket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So excited about Lanna Thai. I wrote a review with some photos. Keep this place open, Bryan/College Station!

http://monikablogwell.com/2012/06/this-town-just-got-cooler/
Ernest Tucker
AG
Ate there yesterday. Will go back.
nought
AG
quote:
So excited about Lanna Thai. I wrote a review with some photos. Keep this place open, Bryan/College Station!

Does the new Thai place have different cooks on different days? The one part of your review I would agree with is "cool". I ate there and the food had no (and I mean absolutely zero, zippo, nada, none) spice to it at all. I have never had Thai food without at least some spice.

I wondered if perhaps they were toning it down (and by toning it down I mean eliminating all spiciness completely) for the old white guy on purpose.
ellipsiscricket
Could depend on what you order. My food wasn't spicy, but I definitely was pleased with the flavor. Beats the heck out of "chain" food. I bet if you asked them to make your food spicier next time they would since they make their pastes and sauces (I presume) from scratch.
doubledog

FIFY
AggieJason
AG
quote:
Does the new Thai place have different cooks on different days? The one part of your review I would agree with is "cool". I ate there and the food had no (and I mean absolutely zero, zippo, nada, none) spice to it at all. I have never had Thai food without at least some spice.

I, too, was underwhelmed. I went Saturday night. The g/f and I each ordered something spicy (like, she asked mild, medium or hot and we said HOT). The hotness was so non-existent that it ruined the meal for me.

Also, I'm not a fan of how few affordable dishes they have. I thought their food was supposed to be cheap?

The g/f and I agree we won't go back any time in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Oh, and the one thing I agree with the article is that the water has a bit of flavor to it. The g/f thought it was just typical Bryan tap water taste. I thought it had a mild lemon/lime flavor. I was not at all offended by it (since I originally wanted water with lemon).

[This message has been edited by AggieJason (edited 6/26/2012 8:53p).]
BlueMiles
AG
So you call them over and tell them again, HOT.
meezermom
Anybody know if they have a website? Will do to-go? With two toddlers, and my doubts that they serve PB&J or mac and cheese, I'd love to try it, but it will have to be on a to-go basis and I have no idea what's on their menu. Really dying for some pad thai, and I always loved Shrimp Delight at Thai Taste and Nipa Hot, but I don't know if that's a common dish!
Captain Pablo
AG
Advice for Thai food enthusiasts:

Most Thai restaurants tone down the heat to suit American palates. I have had no less than 3 Thai restaurant owners tell me customers always want spicy, but when they get it many cant eat it because its too hot. Then they dont come back. Same with Indian food. They have to tone ot down or they will lose customers.

But there is good news for us tough spicy food hombres - you can get crushed, dry Thai red pepper on the side and add it to your food. Just ask for it. ALL Thai restaurants have this, and its what they use to prepare their dishes. So of it's not hot enough, just add red pepper. Its Really THAT simple.
Captain Pablo
AG
BTW, can't wait to try this place, and I will order red pepper on the side. Also thanks for the Taz advice on the other thread. Had to postpone my trip, but will try both places soon. Friend went to Taz the other day and Said it was outstanding...
nought
AG
Captain Pablo -- good advice, but that wasn't what was wrong with the food here. There was NO spice. It wasn't just mild, it had no 'heat' to it at all.

I'm not one of those people who wants the roof my mouth to blister and fall out from the heat. I was actually nervous about eating there because I know Thai food can be super hot. Instead, it had no heat at all, which was both odd and unenjoyable.
SARATOGA
Some Thai dishes aren't spicy. They don't all have to be spicy to be Thai.

Kow Pot Guy isn't spicy, its just a chicken and rice dish.

But if you want spice, just add chili pepper....

Some dishes though can leave you crying for days.

Depends on what the dish calls for and then the level of spice, Thai only, White people spicy, and no spicy.
Captain Pablo
AG
naught,
Like I said, just ask for crushed red pepper. I order it on the side with EVERY thai meal i eat. They'll bring it.
willis01
meezer - We are in the same boat when it comes to kids and PB&J.

Thai Lanna's phone number is 979-485-9818

There's no website. They serve all the traditional Thai dishes, though. I called and made a to-go order on the fly. They also do not have a to-go menu printed yet.

My wife and I were quite pleased. We are already planning a return trip with the kiddos, but will be bringing the PB&J and cheetos with us.

aggiegal99
I ate there last week with a friend, and I really liked it. I'm certainly not a Thai food expert, but I enjoyed my meal. It did have spiciness, but more than that, it had delicious flavor.

I really liked the soup. The Thai tea was also good. It's not something I'd get on a regular basis (too sweet for every day), but was fun to try.
PebbleCreekster
Where is it located???
toolshed
AG
At the corner of Texas Ave and North Ave. Same location as the old Terriyaki Park, just down from La Riviera.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
Most Thai restaurants tone down the heat to suit American palates. I have had no less than 3 Thai restaurant owners tell me customers always want spicy, but when they get it many cant eat it because its too hot. Then they dont come back. Same with Indian food. They have to tone ot down or they will lose customers.

I shouldn't have to do this to get spicy food.

If I ask for hot, I should get hot. If I ask for mild or not hot, I should get something that's normal. If I ask for "medium" I should get something in between.

I guess Nipa Hot spoiled me. I miss ordering your spiciness based on a 1-5 scale.
acp46
Go to Kabab and Curry and you can get very hot and spicy there.
Captain Pablo
AG
Yeah, and Nipa Hot is gone.

But yeah, I get it. But I also understand why these ethnic restaurants do it the way they do it. "I like it spicy" is very vague, and even if someone orders a 3*, and it's too hot for them, well, they just lost a customer. They can't read a customer's mind, nor can they know what a customer's threshold is.

So, I guess the answer is to go where they do it like you want it. Lanna may or may not be the place. Adding pepper is just not that big of a deal to me, considering why it is necessary.
Fleen
I was dissapointed the other day, I will try again as they are walking distance for me and I love spicy...
Ernest Tucker
AG
I agree they need to employ a 1-5 hotness scale. Our pad thai had no spice at all.
Captain Pablo
AG
Pad Thai is by default a mild dish. Did you specifically request it spicy?

And here's the deal with the 1-5 scale - there is no standard for what constitutes a "3" or "5", or whatever. How the heck is a cook supposed to know what your personal "3" is? One guy's idea of "3" is different than the next guy's "3". It becomes a guessing game that the cook can't win.

Again, simple. Just add pepper. You're the only one who knows what your own threshold is...
TTS_Tech
Mmmm....making me hungry. LOL
acp46
Had the soup last night for dinner and it was just "ok"...kinda bland.
Ernest Tucker
AG
quote:
Pad Thai is by default a mild dish. Did you specifically request it spicy?

And here's the deal with the 1-5 scale - there is no standard for what constitutes a "3" or "5", or whatever. How the heck is a cook supposed to know what your personal "3" is? One guy's idea of "3" is different than the next guy's "3". It becomes a guessing game that the cook can't win.

Again, simple. Just add pepper. You're the only one who knows what your own threshold is...

You set the amount of spice by those levels and let the customer figure it out. If i go in and a 4 is too hot, i will order a 3 next time. Not like i wouldn't go back. I used to go to a thai place in parker, co that did a form of this and it worked out great.
SARATOGA
"Had the soup last night for dinner "

SOUPS NOT A MEAL !

#Seinfeld
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
SOUPS NOT A MEAL !

Haha! Kenny Banya!!!

Actually, Thai soup, like Tom Kha Ghai, can definitely be a meal..
acp46
quote:
SOUPS NOT A MEAL !

Its one way I keep my svelte and sexy figure.
samag
Stopped by today with my so and we were pleased. It's great to have Thai back in town. We talked with the owner and made suggestions. We did not find Pad Kee Mao on the menu, but asked for it and they brought us their version at medium heat. We also had the coconut soup and realized that we needed red pepper. Our waiter, who was VERY good, brought it right out and it helped the soup.

We added it to the Pad Kee Mao and that helped a lot. The waiter said they do have three levels of heat - medium, hot, and very hot. It is not shown on the menu, but as the Bible says, "Ask and ye shall receive."

Work with them and I think we will have a winner.
DBSwooper
Do they sell beer or are they BYOB like the old Thai Taste?
samag
I would guess BYOB since I was not offered "adult beverage" and saw no evidence of it.
robertcope
Went tonight, it was good, we'll be back. Forgot to ask them to make the spicy food really spicy, but that's our fault.

robert
jrhmc
AG
Went by for a light lunch today and I was impressed. Everything was fresh and flavorful. We'll be going back with my whole family soon.
91_Aggie
AG
My wife and I went there last Friday and it was great. I had Beef Basil and she had Pork Babycorn.

I wanted another serving when I was done.

Only complaint was no Pad Kao Mee. Old Thai Taste had this and it was my favorite dish, and haven't been able to find it anywhere since.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.