Overpass in Plantersville - good move or pork spending

1,303 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Yuccadoo
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/local/TxDOT-faces-fight-on-overpass

quote:
A preliminary plan to build an overpass at F.M. 1774 and Texas 105 has drawn sharp opposition from many Plantersville residents, but state officials say it's necessary to make the intersection safer.

quote:
Those opposed to the $11 million project say it would bring traffic through the town at a higher rate of speed and drive business away from the shops in the small unincorporated city.

11 million to improve safety?

quote:
Prior to 2006, the intersection was controlled by a stop sign. Crash data indicates there were between nine and six accidents at the intersection annually from 2003 until a stop light was installed in March of 2006.

Crashes decreased to three in 2007 and two in 2008, before spiking to five in 2009.

5 accidents in one year. Not deaths, accidents. Isn't that a bit much. How many accidents a day are there on Rock Prairie.

quote:
"I'd prefer to see four-lane highways on [Texas] 105 than an overpass," he said. "Look at U.S. 290 in Chappell Hill -- that's just one example of a traffic-light controlled intersection, where people have become creatures of habit, they know to slow down, and an overpass isn't necessary."

This makes the most sense.

I guy I know in Plantersville said this was a project of Ogden and they where told he got the money and they are building the thing no matter what they want.

techno-ag
AG
Sometimes highways need to be improved regardless of the opposition. And yes, highway construction is very expensive.
RDH80
AG
It is good to plan ahead. With 249 being extended all the way to Pinehurst (eventually), an overpass up the road at 1774/105 is probably not a bad idea since there will be a lot of traffic in that area. The plan is for a bypass to the east of Magnolia. My guess is it would eventully end up at that very intersection.
Many probably remember Hempstead to Houston via 290 without overpasses and traffic lights at every intersection. 105 will eventually be another 290.
Biggydoog
With all the current and projected future growth towards BCS from Houston and the fact that Hwy 105 is one of the designated evacuation routes out of Houston, it is not a bad idea to plan for the future. That is a bad intersection. Hwy 105 is projected to eventually be four lane all the way.

Actually, 11 million seems to not be too much for a four lane overpass. There's a whole lot more governmental waste in this area than highway usage.

BQ_90
AG
I agree with upgrading roads, but a overpass at this point seems pointless. It's a bad intersection because there isn't turn lanes.

249 will never be extended to B/CS until they can figure out how to toll road it. I mean they just quit on the stretch from spring cypress to Tomball.

However 105 needs to be 4 lanes all the way from Navasota to Conroe.

My guess is somebody found 11 million to spend in their district and this fit the funding.

Naveronski
AG
I drive that route when going from CS to my parent's house.

The overpass will be needed eventually, but not now.

I do fully support making 105 4 lanes. That needed to happen yesterday.
rsa
AG
Build it now in anticipation of future needs. Beats the current attitude of wait until way after it's needed, then cock things up while it's built.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
I just hope they make the overpass wide enough to accommodate a 4-lane Hwy 105 instead of being shortsighted and having to re-do the whole thing in a few years.
Gap
AG
Definetely a good project.
BQ_90
AG
drove the intersection twice tonight going and coming to Spring. Overpass is stupid. still won't fix the 2 lane problem of 105. It would be a overpass in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane road.

Seems to me 4 lane 105 would be the priority.

Charli
quit spending my tax dollars! All government gets money from the taxpayers.
techno-ag
AG
Would you have us all drive around on dirt roads? Think about what you're saying, Charli. There's money budgeted for road improvement. Let's spend it.

As for the four laning of 105, I'm sure we'll get there. But surely y'all realize if an overpass costs $11 million, widening the entire highway to Conroe will cost a lot more.
Naveronski
AG
That's fine.

We'll save some money if we only widen the section from Montgomery to Navasota.
Max06
AG
The community would be better served with passing lanes on SH30.
litig8r187
AG
I think the second part of the proposal includes "passing lanes" on 105 from Montgomery to Navasota similar to what has been done to 30.

As for 249 extension, this overpass would not even be used in that extension. The 249 extension, as it is currently proposed, will cross over highway 105 about 2 miles west of P'ville the turn west and roughly parallel 105 on the north side. It will run to just past FM 362 where it will again cross over 105 and parallel to on the south side till it intersects with Highway 6 about a mile south of the 105/6 intersection.
Max06
AG
quote:
similar to what has been done to 30.

There are no passing lanes between 90 and Bryan. IIRC there are none from Bryan to Huntsville but it's been a long time since I made the trip to Huntsville.
techno-ag
AG
Artemis, they have added passing lanes on 30, on some of the steepest hills.
Yuccadoo
One word guess: Stimulus?

Have you seen that overpass at Old Reliant Road (?) over 2818? Looks like it can handle some serious traffic. I guess the school generates a tremendous jam twice a day, so 6(?) lanes will be required. Tiny 2 lane going west from bridge, so that is apparently not where cars come or go from.

Maybe I just looked at it wrong when coming back from the winery on Saturday and it looked bigger than it is.

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 9/27/2010 8:46p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.