Outdoors
Sponsored by

Skunk trouble

7,957 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by agchino
fatagg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a small skunk living in the bushes in front of our house and I wanted to see if anyone had some any ideas as to how I can get rid of it. Unfortunately, I live in the suburbs, so looking for an option that does not involve bullets.

andyboz
have-a-heart trap with rope attached and the nearest lake or pond... you can hopefully put the two together to come up with a solution
tony
AG
what a dumb idea, so, you have a live catch trap, then, what, you throw him in your car or the back of your truck to take to the nearest lake? you carry it yourself? go to sams and stock up on tomato juice first.

speaking from many many experiences with skunks, the live trap is not a bad idea, but must be augmented. put the trap in a HEAVY DUTY trash bag. with just the opening exposed. Tie a long chord to the drawstrings on said trashbag. when you catch the varmint, pull the sack closed, now, quickly, fill bag with water hose.

no matter how you kill skunks, they almost always spray when they die. You can also use a hose hooked up to exhausst of a car.
Ag97
AG
The skunk will claw right through the wires of the trap and rip the bag. Go to the local COOP or animal supply store. Buy some fly poison called Golden Marlin. Spike a can of Tuna with the Golden Marlin and use that as bait for the trap. The skunk will probably die before it finishes the Tuna.

Just don't let anybody know you are poisoning the skunk. For some reason nosy neighbors sometimes get real picky about poisoning pest yet they don't mind if you shoot them. Also, make sure no cats or dogs are within the vicinity of the baited tuna. It will work on them just as fast as the skunk.

Ag97
TxRooster97
You can also mix the Golden Malrin with some sprite or mountain dew and put it in a dish or bowl. Good as gone.

Here's a pic of the stuff.

[This message has been edited by TxRooster97 (edited 10/12/2007 8:07p).]
tx4guns
AG
I'm tempted to suggest a common automobile fluid, but I don't want to get flamed. To get rid of it in a "humane" and clean way (it will still die), call your local Animal Control Dept. They'll come out and set a couple traps for free.

AG1996
get a cat
birdman
Call your citys animal control. They'll probably loan you a trap. Then you call them and they will pick up the trap and critter.
aggiedent
AG
I had a friend who had a de-glanded skunk...................he was actually a really cool pet.
Log
AG
Did someone say skunk problem? Please.

These were in the pumphouse at my family's place last weekend. I about turned inside out when I opened the door to turn the water on. Mama and at least 7 youngsters. Couldn't get a pic of all of them at once. They didn't seem to mind me though, and Mama eagerly took a de-feathered dove carcass I threw in to them. Kind of cute, but I'm sure they will be at some point or already are rabid.

[This message has been edited by Log (edited 10/13/2007 2:13a).]
GottaRide
S
Mothballs work well. Scatter a few where the skunk is staying and it will leave.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
The skunk will claw right through the wires of the trap and rip the bag. Go to the local COOP or animal supply store. Buy some fly poison called Golden Marlin. Spike a can of Tuna with the Golden Marlin and use that as bait for the trap. The skunk will probably die before it finishes the Tuna.

Wow! What a great idea! Not only might you get the skunk, but you'll get the neighbor's cat, the neighbor's dog, 'coons, 'possums, and all kinds of non-target animals.

Mothballs.
Ag97
AG
quote:
Also, make sure no cats or dogs are within the vicinity of the baited tuna. It will work on them just as fast as the skunk.

TechTard
Use a cage trap. Take a pillow case and put the trap in it, then set it. It will keep the skunk calm, and you can then handle the trap without the skunk spraying. Even if it did decide to spray, it would hit the pillow case, and not you.

You will still get a good whiff of skunk, but not to the level that it won't wash off. And you won't accidentally kill anybody's pet. I was taken to small claims court from using the common automobile fluid method a few years ago. Long story short, no matter how old the lady's cat is, you will have to buy her a brand new cat. And not a cheap cat either. One of those damned expensive cats.
TexAg0308
AG
Two words... pellet gun. We had a raccoon problem at our old house in the suburbs of Houston when I was in High school and my dad had me end it with my Sheridan. Actually paid me 20 bucks a pop. No one will ever hear a thing. No more skunks!

[This message has been edited by TexAg0308 (edited 10/14/2007 4:02a).]
bigdm
AG
Simply call local Animal Control Office. Police Dept. can usually connect you with them. They will deliver and set trap, pick up yhe trapprd skunk. No mess or fuss. WARNING - most wild skunks are rabid. Do not handle or expose yourself to this danger.
B-1 83
AG
My point was, there is virtually no way to prevent nontargets from getting into an open, poisoned can of tuna.

I doubt if "most" wild skunks are rabid.
ursusguy
AG
Call your animal control office.

FYI---As B-1 83 called into question--MOST wild skunks DO NOT have rabies. Yes, skunks are one of the main reserviors for the virus, but in truth, it's a pretty small percentage that are actually carrying. Typically, you are normally looking at 1% of the population. During an "outbreak", you MIGHT be looking at 10%.--So lets just kill the stereotype that most skunks have rabies.

PS--Yes, I know skunks can carry without showing symptoms/active.

"axe, cow, plow, gun ,and FIRE"--know them and use them
taylorag06
AG
what he said
ursusguy
AG
Hey taylor, out of curiosity, is your dad a developer (or something along those lines) by any chance? If so, I think I met him a few week ago--if not, ignore this statement

"axe, cow, plow, gun ,and FIRE"--know them and use them
taylorag06
AG
ha no my dad is pseudo retired and works off and on in the Corsicana area. Definitely not a developer though. Some rumors say that he is Fluff Cowan, Tiger Wood's ole caddy (who knows)
agchino
AG
When I was young my parents had a problem with a skunk burrowing under the fence in several places in our yard, so they threw some cayenne pepper around all the holes, and voila, skunk moved to somebody elses yard.
Post removed:
by user
agchino
AG
Worked in Cool Hand Luke...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.