Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bringing home a feral puppy is outdoors

1,597 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by maroon barchetta
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went dove hunting near Alice last week starting on Thursday afternoon. At about 6pm the storms rolled in and I got absolutely soaked which was awesome.

Earlier that day a puppy showed up at the edge of our camp. He just hung out right at the edge but wouldn't get near us. Finally Friday night a rather intoxicated Agsalaska and another guy went out there and sat down with peanut butter balls in hand. It took about an hour but we finally got him to come to us. After that he was everyone's friend and I just couldn't leave him. So Sunday morning I went to Alice, got a cage, and put him in the bed of the truck

He is about 9 months old and shall we say sexually prepared. He is relatively well fed but has clearly never had any kind of human interaction. He doesn't even recognize when you are talking his direction. Never been on a leash and probably never been inside a house. The vet agrees that he was probably part of a litter and got dumped when he came of age. He was at least five miles from the closest place he could have come from, and he never left after he got out there.

He is about 30 pounds and the sweetest dog in the world. He did dig himself out of the back yard, probably with the help of my cats who hate him, but he came right back to the front door. My other two dogs, BB and Oreo, are cool with him. But my cats are pissed. One disappeared and the other just sits on the edge of the back yard sharpening her claws on an old stump.

Neutering him on the 26th. After that we will figure out what to do with him.




I don’t say this in a braggedocious way. But it’s true. I’ve been right about everything.

-Donald J Trump
-9/22/2025



Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You obviously need a third dog! Don't really see a problem.
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The amount of loose dogs running around in towns from Alice southward is staggering.

I've seen packs of 20+ running loose in Hebbronville & Falfurrias.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You have gotten your hands on a very special breed: the South Texas Special. They make great dogs.
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use to live between Alice and Agua Dulce and I had to fence off a large part of my pastures to keep the dogs out. I had a 110lb cur dog that was always fighting dogs off from my chickens.
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Intoxicated, a dog, and peanut butter balls. I'm out.
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's a good boy.
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Intoxicated, a dog, and peanut butter balls. I'm out.

I thought this had the makings of another Cornell type story.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweet looking pup. Good on you for taking him in.
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like he's half Rott, half lab.

Enjoy the new family member.
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Looks like he's half Rott, half lab.

Enjoy the new family member.


We thought he was a rot puppy until he finally let us pet him. Then we realized he was full grown. He's only 30 pounds. Vet guessed part beagle, but mostly a blend of South Texas.
I don’t say this in a braggedocious way. But it’s true. I’ve been right about everything.

-Donald J Trump
-9/22/2025



agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
O.G. said:

The amount of loose dogs running around in towns from Alice southward is staggering.

I've seen packs of 20+ running loose in Hebbronville & Falfurrias.


We saw packs of them in Alice too. There was one pack that looked like they were sitting at a crosswalk waiting on the light to turn red. Must have been 10 of them.
I don’t say this in a braggedocious way. But it’s true. I’ve been right about everything.

-Donald J Trump
-9/22/2025



GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You put peanut butter WHERE?!!!!!!!
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

AgGrad99 said:

Looks like he's half Rott, half lab.

Enjoy the new family member.


We thought he was a rot puppy until he finally let us pet him. Then we realized he was full grown. He's only 30 pounds. Vet guessed part beagle, but mostly a blend of South Texas.

Makes sense, and I can see that, now that you said it.

Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try speaking Spanish to him. I bet he thinks you are the alien.
ENG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got a feral last deer season, almost the exact same scenario. I just could not leave him behind, stout dog but very skinny and no collar. Dirty as hell but i coaxed him into eating meat balls.

Vet says he is a black mouth cur at about 9 months old. We still have the dude, shots and fixed.
AggieJames09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bet he turns into one heck of a dog, good on you
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My first take was Cortge, But Beagle makes sense.

Fun looking pup.
RoadkillBBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought for sure when I started reading we'd see pictures of a coyote.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RoadkillBBQ said:

Thought for sure when I started reading we'd see pictures of a coyote.


Maybe this has been discussed here, but can a yote be domesticated?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.