Outdoors
Sponsored by

what size tractor do you suggest?

1,625 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by schmellba99
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
we finally found 14 acres to build on in the east Texas area. Currently looking at tractors. What does the OB recommend for mowing, general maintenance, etc.?

Thanks for the help!
Owner of Kool Provisions
www.koolprovisions.com
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got 39 acres and got a 54 hp Kubota 4WD that does everything I need.
tu ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What you need:


What OB will recommend
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A big yard basically?

BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDR; you want a 100HP, you'll talk yourself into 35HP, but you need 50-60HP with 4wd, and that's probably where you should focus.


I went through this a while back so I'll answer based on what I have and what I thought about before buying my first one....

Our 90+hp tractors are too big to do much 'utilitarian'. These are good for batwing shredders, stuff that requires wide, heavy, ground engaging equipment, brush muncher, that kind of stuff.

I have 35hp machines that are useful, but light and underpowered for some tasks. One of our properties of 20 acres was maintained by the previous owner exclusively with a small 30hp Kubota and front end loader. It's doable, but I think it would be maxed out with some tasks. If you are mowing manicured pastures, mucking stalls, etc...it will be fine.

My 50HP-80HP 4wd tractors are the sweet spot for 90% of everything at the ranch. Grapples, 6 or 8' shredders, chisel plowing, material handling, moving round bales, most everything that happens frequently.

I'd stick to 50-60HP with 4wd or a little higher. I think you will also be DEF free if you are buying new (I think, but double check that).
spud1910
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I went through this a while back so I'll answer based on what I have and what I thought about before buying my first one....

Our 90+hp tractors are too big to do much 'utilitarian'. These are good for batwing shredders, stuff that requires wide, heavy, ground engaging equipment, brush muncher, that kind of stuff.

I have 35hp machines that are useful, but light and underpowered for some tasks. One of our properties of 20 acres was maintained by the previous owner exclusively with a small 30hp Kubota and front end loader. It's doable, but I think it would be maxed out with some tasks. If you are mowing manicured pastures, mucking stalls, etc...it will be fine.

My 50HP-80HP 4wd tractors are the sweet spot for 90% of everything at the ranch. Grapples, 6 or 8' shredders, chisel plowing, material handling, moving round bales, most everything that happens frequently.

I'd stick to 50-60HP with 4wd or a little higher. I think you will also be DEF free if you are buying new (I think, but double check that).

Good stuff here. I got a 55hp when I had about 40 acres, most wooded, and it was a good fit. Now I have about 150 acres and a 75 to 100 hp with a bigger mower would be nice. Depending on what you are doing on that 14 acres you may not even need as big as 55hp.
Jim
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You probably need a zero turn
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Depends on what your 14 acres is and what you planning on doing with it.
If you are going to be tilling it or raising some crops….or bailing hay… or bush hogging lots of it then get a tractor in the 50-75 hp range with front end loader and 4WD.
If you're not doing the above you might find a skid steer to be more useful and more versatile with all kinds of attachments available.
Tractors are great with buckets and grapples. But if you want to use a tree shear or tree puller or other attachments that require you to be able to "see" the attachment to use it the skid steer allows that. Most tractors you can't really see the implements to use things like a tree puller or tree shear or 6 way blade etc.
As I said it depends on what you plan on really doing with the acreage.
Congratulations on getting you your land.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
highvelocity said:

we finally found 14 acres to build on in the east Texas area. Currently looking at tractors. What does the OB recommend for mowing, general maintenance, etc.?

Thanks for the help!

Post a list of what you need it for or wanting to accomplish with the tractor. And be specific as you can like how many acres do you plan to mow/shred. Otherwise it's just a guess.
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it were me I'd get a 40-60 hp used tractor for $15- 20k with less than 150 hrs and make sure it has a bucket and a small shredder.. it will keep your oversized yard mowed and enough bucket to lift some of the heavy stuff you will encounter. Much cheaper than a skid steer that won't be as easy to mow the grass
DrEvazanPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you mowing grass? Clearing land? Planting food plots?

I'd shoot for a tractor that can pull an 8-10 foot shredder if its all grass. Go 6 if you're just keeping roads clean from brush. 60 horse would get you there.

Whatever you get, upgrade the seat.
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're in about the same boat and have a JD 4044m. Runs the shredder just fine, pulls my 5' box blade, and the front end loader is incredibly helpful. I've used the forks a ton moving around logs/trees as we've cleared more of the property. All while being small enough to navigate around all our trees and trails we've cut through the place.
two1993ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree on the 50-80 hp sweet spot. We have several neighbors here in Fayette county that were hit by bees on tractor-a couple didn't make it. When we bought our tractors 20 years ago we bought cab tractors primarily for bees. Now that I'm in my mid-50s I really appreciate the ac and heat. Increases my desire to get stuff done.
two1993ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will say the cab gets in the way if you're doing mowing in brushy areas or under low tree canopy.
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
primarily mowing coastal bermuda. that is what 90% of the property is. I'll have a small food plot in the back for critters / hunting season.

Owner of Kool Provisions
www.koolprovisions.com
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i'll buy one of these, you cmon over and i'll watch you spend all damn day mowing
Owner of Kool Provisions
www.koolprovisions.com
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
thanks, gunny, this is helpful. we do have a bunch of trees on the property. so the thought of a small skid steer would be useful.

its probably going to be a situation where i find a tractor and use a grapple to pick up downed trees, brush, etc.

love the idea of the 8' shredder to make quick work of mowing when needed
Owner of Kool Provisions
www.koolprovisions.com
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
14ac of coastal, sounds like you need cows or to sell someone a hay lease!
highvelocity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
well, theres one already in place from the seller. so this whole, what kind of tractor do I need, it may just be let their cows keep grazing and I wont buy a tractor until we actually build our house and move on it full time
Owner of Kool Provisions
www.koolprovisions.com
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Much like tents, gun safes, and log splitters, you rarely hear someone say they bought a tractor that was too big.
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The more I have controlled my weed population, the less I mow, a good thing.
My 38hp Kubota has seldom left me needing a bigger tractor, 60 acres, about half still heavy woods. Grazing, not cutting any hay.
NRA and TSRA Life
docb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Much like tents, gun safes, and log splitters, you rarely hear someone say they bought a tractor that was too big.

Partially true. I have two tractors and a skid steer and there are times I would rather mow with the smaller (47 hp hydrostat) because I can mow around a lot of stuff way easier than with my bigger tractor.
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Kubota L3800 and maintain at least that amount of ROW's and what not at my deer lease. It's big enough, I use a heavy duty Land Pride 6' shredder without any problems.

Wish I had a little bit bigger, mostly because of lifting capacity. I'd say anything from a mid frame (L series in Kubota, not sure what it is in green or red) no less than 40 HP and as high as 60 HP will be perfect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.