Outdoors
Sponsored by

How is the best way to kill yellow jackets?

2,845 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by fullback44
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, we have a bell type wind chime that Yellow Jackets seem to have made their home. Is just regular Flying Insect killer the best thing? Is any time better than another???
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I typically send my now 15yo son after them with a bottle of Raid Wasp killer. It works pretty well. He only gets stung about once every other year and all that does is make him want to kill more of them.

Started when he was probably 9.
I don’t say this in a braggedocious way. But it’s true. I’ve been right about everything.

-Donald J Trump
-9/22/2025



RCR06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The cans of wasp spray work great. If you ever run out of the cans of spray and need to kill some wasps you can mix dish soap and water in a cup and sling the solution on them. I've always heard evening or early morning is the best time to kill them.
ConstructionAg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are slower and less aggressive in the mornings when it is cooler. Wasp spray is my go to method because I have a lot of tall eaves and soffits. What makes one can better than others is the stream holding together and not turning into mist and the distance it can project that stream. They all seem to kill on contact.

Make sure your Flying Insect Killer spray is NOT the kind for flies, gnats, and oh by the way will kill wasps. Those are too much of a mist/fog and don't have the distance or cause instant death like true wasp killer sprays.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use off the shelf wasp spray and wait until sundown to get them all on the nest. Just did this to my outdoor umbrella.
Army62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Paper wasps and yellow jackets look very similar.

Paper wasps are the ones with the open honey comb looking nests and are more docile and super easy to kill with the wasp spray, especially in the AM.

Yellow jackets have a covered nest and one hole to go in or out. They can can build their nests in the ground or in a wall. They are far more aggressive and much harder to kill with the spray. Tying to kill them with spray can really piss them off and they will come looking for you.

I truly wish I did not know the difference.
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dish soap and water hot water.
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a great idea. Now explain how I'm going to get up to my two story roof?
barnag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Army62 said:

Paper wasps and yellow jackets look very similar.

Paper wasps are the ones with the open honey comb looking nests and are more docile and super easy to kill with the wasp spray, especially in the AM.

Yellow jackets have a covered nest and one hole to go in or out. They can can build their nests in the ground or in a wall. They are far more aggressive and much harder to kill with the spray. Tying to kill them with spray can really piss them off and they will come looking for you.

I truly wish I did not know the difference.

no way, never knew this thanks. Sounds like I've been mistaking paper wasps for yellow jackets my entire life. Yellow jackets have a covered nest? What do you mean by this? I get the open honey comb nests, I see those all over the place, just always thought those were yellow jackets.
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't worry. I am in my 50s, and I only recently learned the difference. I had been calling paper wasps "yellow jackets" ever since I was a kid.
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son puts on leather gloves, slowly approaches the nest, and squeezes it with both hands. I sometimes wish there was something he is afraid of.
ought1ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ima big fan of the foaming wasp spray
fcag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These help for those 2nd story roof line nests. Just screw it on the end of an extendable paint roller rod.

https://a.co/d/0c3Vj8hh
Sticks&Stones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This stuff kills instantly. Half of them seize up and don't even fall off of the nest.

ETA...be sure to get the green can. The orange one sucks.
88planoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Won't reach a second story but will go pretty far - dish soap and water in a super soaker water shooter.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
F I R E! PROPANE TORCH!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
agnerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mas89 said:

My son puts on leather gloves, slowly approaches the nest, and squeezes it with both hands. I sometimes wish there was something he is afraid of.

That sounds personal. Sleep with one eye open...
ag0207
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kill the wasp and knock down the nest however you wish. Then spray with bifen I/T. Spray any areas they like to build once a year in the early spring prior to them building and you will be set for the season.
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mas89 said:

My son puts on leather gloves, slowly approaches the nest, and squeezes it with both hands. I sometimes wish there was something he is afraid of.

My grandad would get a big paintbrush with "burnt oil" and walk up and paint them. His old skin was so thick if he got stung I don't think he knew it.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
gravitartx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spectracide Pro in the white can is the best wasp spray I've ever used, kills on contact and works better than the foaming sprays. I keep a can in the truck year round
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Without Aggies at QB and WR, they are pretty easy to defeat.
barnag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B-1 83 said:

Mas89 said:

My son puts on leather gloves, slowly approaches the nest, and squeezes it with both hands. I sometimes wish there was something he is afraid of.

My grandad would get a big paintbrush with "burnt oil" and walk up and paint them. His old skin was so thick if he got stung I don't think he knew it.


grandads are so awesome
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dads go to for killing wasp nest was an empty quart Folgers can about 1/4 to 1/2 full of gasoline and then quickly douse the nest with the gas.
Back in the day when we had "Ethyl" gas.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For one summer in college I worked pest control. We normally used dedicated insecticides. However, one job we had was treating an outdoor pavilion that was only used sporadically. It was pretty thick with spiders, daddy long legs, mud dobbers, wasps and such. Someone had rented it for a company picnic the next week and wanted all the bugs cleared out. The owner of our pest control company took care of the wasps personally by throwing a cup of gasoline on each nest. In his words, "I have used a lot of stuff to kill yellow jackets, but nothing as cheap and effective as a splash of gasoline."
Pantera
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MrWonderful
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have anything useful to add other than this thread is bringing back memories of my summer working on my uncles organic farm in Minnesota. He would say "hey there's a wasp nest in the shed, let me go get the wasp killer"

Then he would hand me a broom

It did help me with that extra speed later that fall on the basketball court, wouldn't recommend it though

Aggie_Boomin 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Army62 said:

Paper wasps and yellow jackets look very similar.

Paper wasps are the ones with the open honey comb looking nests and are more docile and super easy to kill with the wasp spray, especially in the AM.

Yellow jackets have a covered nest and one hole to go in or out. They can can build their nests in the ground or in a wall. They are far more aggressive and much harder to kill with the spray. Tying to kill them with spray can really piss them off and they will come looking for you.

I truly wish I did not know the difference.

Not all yellow jacket nests are covered. They can still be the open honeycomb type.

Op, go out at night and spray them and the nest with yellow jack spray if that's what they actually are. Had yellow jackets take over my yard on a new house last summer and that's what I would do in addition to setting out these traps:
https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Non-Toxic-Reusable-Trap-Yellowjackets/dp/B07SVF6WGQ/ref=asc_df_B07SVF6WGQ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80401998412481&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=90469&hvtargid=pla-4584001477990494&psc=1&hvocijid=1827499796597333073-B07SVF6WGQ-&hvexpln=0

These are sold at my local Home Depot
ToddyHill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As easy as this sounds, I've sprinkled Diatomaceous earth on/into/around a true yellow jacket nest that was in the ground...with a 1.5" hole for entrance. I did it around 10 p.m. Worked great.

O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the answer, did a short gig in pest control once. Nothing lives through this. Ever. Everything else after this is diet coke. Raid/ortho or whatever is not even close. Available on Amazon.


https://pestcontrol.basf.us/products/pt--wasp-freeze-wasp---hornet-insecticide.html
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yellow jacket nests are enclosed, often underground or hidden, and house large aggressive colonies, while paper wasp nests are open, umbrella-shaped, and smaller with less aggressive inhabitants.
Nest Structure

Yellow jacket nests are made from chewed wood fibers mixed with saliva, forming a papery material. They feature multiple layers of protective envelopes surrounding stacked hexagonal combs inside, with a single entrance usually at the bottom for aerial nests or leading into underground burrows. These nests can grow several feet in diameter and house thousands of wasps, providing protection from weather and predators

Paper wasp nests are also made from papery material but have an open, umbrella-like shape with exposed cells where eggs are laid. They are generally smaller, supporting colonies of 20100 workers, and are attached to eaves, porch ceilings, or tree branches via a thin stalk

Nest Location

Yellow jackets often build nests underground, in wall voids, or in hollow trees, making them difficult to spot. Some species also construct aerial nests on homes, trees, or light poles, but they are usually well concealed

Paper wasps prefer above-ground locations, such as eaves, tree branches, or ledges, where their nests are more visible and accessible

Behavior and Aggression
Yellow jackets are highly aggressive and will sting repeatedly if their nest is disturbed. They are scavengers, attracted to meat, sweets, and garbage, and their large colonies make them a significant threat during late summer

Paper wasps are less aggressive, generally stinging only when provoked. They feed mostly on nectar and caterpillars, contributing to pollination and pest control in gardens

  • Yellow jackets: Stocky, compact body, short legs, black antennae, rapid darting flight. Nests are enclosed and often hidden.
  • Paper wasps: Slender, long dangling legs, slightly reddish or brownish coloration, calm drifting flight. Nests are open and umbrella-shaped
  • Understanding these differences is crucial for safe identification and management, as yellow jacket nests require more caution and often professional removal due to their size and aggressive nature, while paper wasp nests can sometimes be managed with careful DIY methods
jt2hunt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bucket of water and dish soap
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it's up high on the second story and not anywhere people can get to, just leave it. They aren't going to be a risk for stings.
Sticks&Stones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

If it's up high on the second story and not anywhere people can get to, just leave it. They aren't going to be a risk for stings.

No...they must die!
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In Brazoria County we were told to leave them alone because they would kill the pecan web worms that cover entire trees in giant webs

I would knock the nests down with an extendable pole to get them away from traffic areas at the house so they could go build somewhere else
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Easy to kill web worms by punching a hole in the protective nest. The wasps do the rest. The wasps use the hole to enter. I use a extension pole saw.
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.