Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sparrow Trap?

1,249 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by fullback44
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of you successfully used sparrow traps?
Thinking about making one.

Killed a couple with a pellet gun. Shooting is not a good solution, they're very skittish. Also don't want to shoot holes in the roof.

(Edit: these are invasive English Sparrows, 100% certain).

They moved in under my sheds. Almost a dozen of them.
I tear the nests down, they build back immediately.
Red tailed hawk hangs around on a nearby fence post but it must not be catching them.
Hopefully a chicken snake will move in.
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

Any of you successfully used sparrow traps?
Thinking about making one.

Killed a couple with a pellet gun. Shooting is not a good solution, they're very skittish. Also don't want to shoot holes in the roof.

They moved in under my sheds. Almost a dozen of them.
I tear the nests down, they build back immediately.
Red tailed hawk hangs around on a nearby fence post but it must not be catching them.
Hopefully a chicken snake will move in.


Back in the day as a kid I used small Havahart traps. I'd tie colored string to one of their legs and see show many times they'd come back.
gravitartx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you tried a decoy owl?
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are some specific live bird traps but you will catch other species as well.
Kudos to you for wanting to live trap them.
They eat lots of insects and are beneficial in that respect. Many of our small bird species and songbirds are in a decline.
Deter them with plastic owls and rubber snakes. You will have to move them from time to time.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
angryocotillo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the reasons for the decline of native sparrows and other song birds IS the European house sparrow.
GottaRide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
This works very well. It's best to keep it on a table or elevated place in full sun so that the bait catches their eye. Once the first one is caught more will see it moving around and also come in. I will often catch 8-10 per day. Sometimes more.

https://sparrowtraps.net/

Wait to tear down the nests until they have laid their eggs. Keep after it.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You want to tear down the nest as they start building them…if you are diligent about it they will move to another place to build and lay.
If you tear it down after they lay they will return next cycle and try to lay again.
Killing them and trapping them just allows more to move in. Unless people want a total sterile environment we are always going to have birds, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, raccoons, armadillos etc etc.
You either remove food sources or deter them to have long term results.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
BuddysBud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are these mud nests or disorganized nests made of small sticks and grass?

If it is mud nests you have swallows. Try rubbing a bar of soap where they are building the nests. The soap will prevent the mud from sticking to the shed.

I question if it is house sparrows because they usually don't nest in groups. They are invasive and do cause problems with native cavity nesting birds such as bluebirds and purple martins.

For sparrows look here for ideas: https://sparrowtraps.net/

Gottaride beat me to it.
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't believe it, but I'm gonna have to disagree a little bit with Gunny here.

House sparrows (specifically) are one of the more significant damaging invasive species in North America. They displace native sparrows and songbirds out of their nests (through competition for habitat and direct combat) and kill their young. Our songbirds really aren't built to compete.

IMO, killing house sparrows is equally beneficial to killing feral hogs. Other sparrows should be released from traps unharmed.

Removing food sources and general deterrence measures would affect native birds equally. House sparrows, in particular, should be dispatched with extreme malice. (I'm not endorsing cruel means, just to be clear.)

TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oh, and Starlings are just as invasive and destructive. Hate them both!
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Can't believe it, but I'm gonna have to disagree a little bit with Gunny here.

House sparrows (specifically) are one of the more significant damaging invasive species in North America. They displace native sparrows and songbirds out of their nests (through competition for habitat and direct combat) and kill their young. Our songbirds really aren't built to compete.

IMO, killing house sparrows is equally beneficial to killing feral hogs. Other sparrows should be released from traps unharmed.

Removing food sources and general deterrence measures would affect native birds equally. House sparrows, in particular, should be dispatched with extreme malice. (I'm not endorsing cruel means, just to be clear.)



In Gunny's defense, "sparrows" as used in the OP covers a pretty wide range of birds that are in most cases protected, beneficial, and in decline. "House Sparrows" is a completely different situation and trapping/killing is encouraged.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. I agree with you. OP said Sparrows. I'm not talking about non native English sparrows. When someone says sparrow I think our native species.
We were so poor when growing up I shot English sparrows with my pellet gun to use for catfish bait on our trot lines. My dad would take my gun from me and give me one ass chewing if I shot anything other than English sparrows or Grackles.
Not an English sparrow fan at all.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OP didn't say English Sparrow.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
DeerHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.practicalgardening.blackdovenest.com/2015/03/homemade-bird-trap-build-plans-specs-diy.html?m=1

Used to make these as a kid. Inexpensive and work pretty well.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And even to make it more confusing many ornithologists say the House Sparrow is a sub species to the English Sparrow.
Also many folks wrongly call a House Wren a House Sparrow.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunny456 said:

And even to make it more confusing many ornithologists say the House Sparrow is a sub species to the English Sparrow.
Also many folks wrongly call a House Wren a House Sparrow.


Or confuse them with house finches.
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunny456 said:

No. I agree with you. OP said Sparrows. I'm not talking about non native English sparrows. When someone says sparrow I think our native species.
We were so poor when growing up I shot English sparrows with my pellet gun to use for catfish bait on our trot lines. My dad would take my gun from me and give me one ass chewing if I shot anything other than English sparrows or Grackles.
Not an English sparrow fan at all.

Okay, I guess we're in violent agreement then!

When someone says they're shooting sparrows, I just automatically assume they're the invasive sort. I'd never shoot a native one!
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't doubt that cause you're a knowledgeable and educated guy. Lots of folks don't know one sparrow from another or what different sparrows (or birds colored similar) are or even will think they are different birds when actually they are just male and female variants.
I have had folks at our ranch quail hunting that shoot meadow larks thinking they are quail.
I gotta quit or I'll get scolded for derailing.
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd only mistake a pigeon for a quail! :-D
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gunny456 said:

I don't doubt that cause you're a knowledgeable and educated guy. Lots of folks don't know one sparrow from another or what different sparrows (or birds colored similar) are or even will think they are different birds when actually they are just male and female variants.
I have had folks at our ranch quail hunting that shoot meadow larks thinking they are quail.
I gotta quit or I'll get scolded for derailing.


Wide swath of people who just call them LBBs and LGBs.

(little brown birds and little gray birds)
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha!!!! True story….. So I had our Captain of the game wardens out of Kerr County, our local GW, our regional wildlife biologist (graduated in WFS same year as me) and my neighbor ( who is a bonfide coon A_ _ ) and his wife all over to our ranch for an afternoon dove hunt.
A little Kestrel flies into the field and my neighbors wife levels down on him and as my neighbor is yelling "NO! NO! NO! She fires at the little guy. Thankfully she missed him!
My neighbor, in that Cajun accent said, " I wonder if me Cher had hit it..if dem law dogs would have writ us a ticket? You recon or naw?"
Our GW said to him.."Just Thank God she missed!!!"

TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BuddysBud said:

Are these mud nests or disorganized nests made of small sticks and grass?

If it is mud nests you have swallows. Try rubbing a bar of soap where they are building the nests. The soap will prevent the mud from sticking to the shed.

I question if it is house sparrows because they usually don't nest in groups. They are invasive and do cause problems with native cavity nesting birds such as bluebirds and purple martins.

For sparrows look here for ideas: https://sparrowtraps.net/

Gottaride beat me to it.


100% certain they are English sparrows. Been thinning their numbers since I was 10 years old.
Trashy grass nests.
I also deal with mud swallows but usually ignore them unless they are pooping near a door.
I can identify the majority of birds in Texas but no expert.

Thanks for advice on the trap, I appreciate you. Just ordered one.
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GottaRide said:

This works very well. It's best to keep it on a table or elevated place in full sun so that the bait catches their eye. Once the first one is caught more will see it moving around and also come in. I will often catch 8-10 per day. Sometimes more.

https://sparrowtraps.net/

Wait to tear down the nests until they have laid their eggs. Keep after it.


My hat's off to you, thanks! Just ordered one.
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

Gunny456 said:

I don't doubt that cause you're a knowledgeable and educated guy. Lots of folks don't know one sparrow from another or what different sparrows (or birds colored similar) are or even will think they are different birds when actually they are just male and female variants.
I have had folks at our ranch quail hunting that shoot meadow larks thinking they are quail.
I gotta quit or I'll get scolded for derailing.


Wide swath of people who just call them LBBs and LGBs.

(little brown birds and little gray birds)


All the little birds like wrens, warblers, chickadees are properly called " chee chee birds".
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trash can lid full of bird seed and a 12 gauge
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.