Outdoors
Sponsored by

new project. something difficult and different.

4,230 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
working on a dining table and buffet for an aggie. the pieces are some of the most specific and unique ive had to work on. the aggie has a good vision of what they want, and its been a fun journey figuring it out.

the table is a simple large slab that will get squared up with a slight convex bow on each edge.




agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the buffet is the piece de resistance. its a waterfall cut from one slab that will have grain flowing up one side, across the top and down the other side.



agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the standout part of the buffet will be the doors. the customer wanted solid burl. I suggested if you are doing solid wood burl, we should look at texturing the doors to highlight the fact its solid wood.

this meant a lot of testing of different figured and textures. some by jig, some by hand. but we wanted the grain the flow across the doors from the burl.




agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ultimately we found a nice softened wave look that we will orient vertically. but the catch is we dont just want the grain to flow across the doors, we also want the texture pattern to flow across the doors.

this meant full test pieces to figure out texture and how to work it across the joints.




Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If my powerball ticket hits, I'll take it.
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Difficult for everyone else is easy for you.

This is like Star Trek level above all of us.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Son of a beast that's bad ace… nice work brother.

ETA: you gonna throw some bow ties on the cracks on the ends? Would look sweet
Texaspainter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You never cease to amaze me. Beautiful!
MIAGD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are an artist that happens to be great at woodworking. Thank you for sharing.
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agrams, I would like to talk to you about making a similar dining table 108-120 in length. Please let me know if you are interested.
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice!! Love seeing your work.
DrEvazanPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Folks, if you want to see what genius looks like, here it is.
fitzwatema
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those two pieces are going to look
amazing. Great craftsmanship!
ldg397
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the table that is going to be beautiful. I am having a walnut tree milled for a kitchen table, I like the looks of the thickness of that slab. What would you recommend for mill thickness so that when it is dried, flatened etc you end up with a substantial slab.
wilsonag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just an insane level of attention to detail and creativity here. As someone who has tried his hand at small wood working projects, the difficulty level is crazy here. You need to start a YouTube channel. That would be incredible to watch your process and throughout the project.
DVM97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope to be able to custom order a dining room table once day!
BlueSmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I second the YouTube.com idea.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
start checking those game cam pics and we can figure something out
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
roughly, 1" of thickness per 10-12" of width will give you enough material to level out after drying and any movement. Capping at about 3" max thickness.
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agrams' wood
tamc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome work as always!
lurker76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agrams, you are a true artist with wood. I stumble through making small tables and picture frames, and you create Michaelangelo level projects. Thanks for sharing your work with us. It is always amazing to see.
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crazy cool, incredible talent.

In the picture where you have the 'template' clamped to the doors, are you running a router with a guide bushing to make the first pass at the carving and then further hand carving?
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
some updates on progress:

The burls warp a little when resawing them, and i wanted maximum thickness for the pattern, so i made some solid walnut plywood (each layer is 1/8" thick, with the hidden layer being oriented perpendicular to the visible layer). I then used this to glue up the burl with a slight reverse bend and used epoxy for the glue, that way it will resolve to near flat, and the epoxy is more resistant to creep:






I then taped an edge on them and flooded the face with epoxy to fill in as many voids as I could:



I then sanded the excess off and cut them to near net shape:


then started mounting them to the buffet and cutting them to fit as best I could:



all doors mounted:


then time to start profiling. the jig has two edge profiles I flip/shift/reorient to keep as random as possible. The opposite side with a higher wave frequency was giving too many steep angles i didn't like in the test doors, so i lowered their wave height by about 1".


a few passes:


i work my way left to right, then when I get to the edge of a mating door I mount the adjacent door next to it so i can start running the pattern between the doors:


the jig wasnt as still as I would have liked, and had a little sag, so i made shims I push under the jig so it is supported by the door below it:



I got about 75% through the doors this weekend, should be able to finish them up some evening this week:


I started light on the pattern. I can always go back and add more passes, but i want to edge up on the density /pattern i like.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just beautiful!!
TAMU Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences

Boat racing is like a beautiful woman.......expensive, high maintenance, but well worth the fun!
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
-100% chance I could ever make anything like this.

Really nice.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agrams said:

so i made some solid walnut plywood (each layer is 1/8" thick, with the hidden layer being oriented perpendicular to the visible layer).

I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever be able to say.
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just realizes you bookmatched the burl doors also… dang
Sticks&Stones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
INCREDIBLE!
BlueSmoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wish and "Agrams-tailgate" was a thing. Just park a bunch of lawn chairs and a cooler of beer and watch him make cool stuff.

I used to do that with my g-father at his shop. Captivated me a little dude.
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lots of sanding and shaping, but roughly done on the texturing:



SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dang! That's sweet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.