Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bent Rib On Shotgun

999 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 80sGeorge
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did this at a 3gun match when grabbing my shotgun out of a barrel that was nailed down. Red dot optic mount caught on the barrel lip. Do I just bend it back and remount? Or have I done something worse?
GeorgiAg
AG
Peyroie's disease of the gun. And man, you need to clean that sucker.
Frisco
AG
aw honey, gun is broke now I need to buy a new one!

bend it back and send it!
Jason_Roofer
Interesting. I buy a fair amount of firearms and I am often curious how things like bent ribs, scraped crowns, damaged sling mounts and the like ever occur. This answered at least on question.

In the Benelli, I'd bend it back and call it a day. Please resist the urge to use the BARREL and a fulcrum during this process or you'll be needing to replace the barrel. The rib bend is purely aesthetic. A barrel dent will not be.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
BlueSmoke
That gun is afflicted....
Madman
AG
Jason_Roofer said:

Interesting. I buy a fair amount of firearms and I am often curious how things like bent ribs, scraped crowns, damaged sling mounts and the like ever occur. This answered at least on question.

In the Benelli, I'd bend it back and call it a day. Please resist the urge to use the BARREL and a fulcrum during this process or you'll be needing to replace the barrel. The rib bend is purely aesthetic. A barrel dent will not be.

This is a typical 3gun stage. All types of WTF can happen to gear.

I didn't shoot this stage well. The only good thing I did was putting the spinner over in 3. The stage with the damage I may post later.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Now that looks like fun!
Madman
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

Now that looks like fun!
Better stage with the exception of the extremely embarrassing F Up at the end.

el gato18
AG
https://us.amazon.com/hare-Shotgun-Vent-Repair-Tool/dp/B08XTNM96N/ref=coffee_espresso_sports_d_sccl_2_1/132-3902714-3347631?pd_rd_w=6517w&content-id=amzn1.sym.648ea54b-4c9e-4474-81e3-85f5b4c07576&pf_rd_p=648ea54b-4c9e-4474-81e3-85f5b4c07576&pf_rd_r=QYK3DDE9K8CSJX5DYF81&pd_rd_wg=dujdG&pd_rd_r=51d425dc-9522-4465-a510-57cd5a933f93&pd_rd_i=B08XTNM96N&psc=1

I used this tool on an O/U I had with a bent rib. It worked great.
Madman
AG
el gato18 said:

https://us.amazon.com/hare-Shotgun-Vent-Repair-Tool/dp/B08XTNM96N/ref=coffee_espresso_sports_d_sccl_2_1/132-3902714-3347631?pd_rd_w=6517w&content-id=amzn1.sym.648ea54b-4c9e-4474-81e3-85f5b4c07576&pf_rd_p=648ea54b-4c9e-4474-81e3-85f5b4c07576&pf_rd_r=QYK3DDE9K8CSJX5DYF81&pd_rd_wg=dujdG&pd_rd_r=51d425dc-9522-4465-a510-57cd5a933f93&pd_rd_i=B08XTNM96N&psc=1

I used this tool on an O/U I had with a bent rib. It worked great.
I am glad you posted that.

Not because I am going to buy it but because I realized I can replicate that with some tools I already have. Instead of my first plan of just grabbing it with pliers.
lexofer
AG
The rib on my M2 is all bent up, has been for years. Slugs still hit true, doesn't seem to hurt anything. Since your dot mounts there I'd just bend it back.
Mas89
AG
Username checks out.
Thanks for posting the videos. Reminds me of shooting pigs in a rice field. Minus the mud and water.
Madman
AG
I was slow most of the weekend but mostly error and penalty free. But I had a great time.

Best moment was hitting 670 (P) yards with 556 on one try, after struggling to hit 600ish yard shots before that.

CS78
Ive had some duck guns that look like that. Usually just leave it because your eye won't pick it up.

Have seen the rib separate from the barrel if you pull up on it too hard. Will require a gunsmith to reattach when that happens.
kosmostx
BlueSmoke said:

That gun is afflicted....
Nah, just needs a little alignment hygiene.
80sGeorge
AG
That is pretty nifty!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.