Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog bit by sick raccoon, maybe?

1,154 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by 76Ag
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yesterday afternoon I found a raccoon in my front yard that appeared to be dead, but was still breathing but not really moving at all or responding to getting poked with a broom handle. I turned it over and there was no obvious wound other other than a small cut that might have been from the shovel I used to turn him over. It was either sick or fell out of a tree directly above where I found it.

My dog was in the yard with with the raccoon for maybe an hour or so, and I was surprised when I found it that she wasn't all over it. The raccoon was on the other side of the house so I figured maybe she hadn't seen it. I put the dog inside, removed the raccoon, and hosed down that area of the yard.

Last night I noticed my dog licking a spot on her back leg and I could see a little blood. Best I could tell it looked more like a scrape than any sort of puncture wound, and it wouldn't be uncommon for her to get scraped up doing something under the porch or in the bushes as she's a very active dog. I pulled up her shot records and discovered that she's 1 month past due for rabies, which was last administered in Sept 2021. I read online that there is quite a bit of safety margin in that 3 year vaccine, but I guess I'm a little concerned. I'm taking her in tomorrow to the three year booster that she should have got in September, but other than that do I need to be worried?

I gave her a bath last night and cleaned the spot on her leg well. All other shots are up to date. I do still have the raccoon and am going to make some calls tomorrow to see if I can get it tested for rabies.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You are fine.
bmfvet
AG
Refrigerate the raccoon, do not freeze it. The state will test, where are you located?
‘99
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks. The raccoon is in a contractor bag not refrigerated at the moment. I'm in Virginia so at least it's been pretty cool, but the raccoon might be a little ripe by now.

Does testing make a difference if the vaccine is still providing protection and if I get her 3 year booster tomorrow?
TX_COWDOC
AG
As mentioned - chill but don't freeze the coon. Freezing will disrupt the brain tissue needed for the testing. Get your dog current on rabies and lepto at a minimum.

Don't let your pooch bite anyone in the meantime.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
TX_COWDOC
AG
Rabies testing is done post mortem on brain tissue. You won't be testing your dog.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks cowdoc.

Sorry, I meant is testing the raccoon for rabies necessary if we assume that she's covered by the vaccine even though she's a month past the three years. She's up to date on lepto and distemper.
bmfvet
AG
The state of Texas provides free testing, I'm not sure about Virginia. Your local animal control should be able to guide you. Your vet probably knows as well. Would definitely get the rabies boosted.
Testing the raccoon to see if it had rabies would be ideal so you know.
‘99
SweaterVest
AG
Thanks bmf. I read about a situation with cats and a rabid bat where the state mandated euthanasia for the cats because they were not vaccinated at all and were presumed bitten by the bat. That's not something I need to be concerned about for being a month past due is it? I don't know what state that was.
alvtimes
any shot your dog is what killed the raccoon not a disease? I get wanting a test…but maybe the dog won the fight!
SweaterVest
AG
There is always that chance but when she gets hold of a rabbit or squirrel she tears it up pretty good. Also since I found it in the middle of the day I tend to think there was something else wrong with the raccoon.
OnlyForNow
AG
How sharp is your shovel that it might have cut the coon open?

Good to be on the safe side, if free testing is available would be my choice. Re-up on all vax that are needed. Specifically lepto (DHLPPC) and rabies.
bmfvet
AG
Would be highly unlikely in Texas, I'm not sure what Virginia's rules are. We do have more rabies positives than any other state by far (mostly bats).
‘99
robbio
If she has had multiple Rabies vaccines over her life time I wouldn't be concerned. If she has only had one Rabies vaccination in her life time I would be concerned.
76Ag
AG
Don't they carry distemper?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.