Outdoors
Sponsored by

Graduation Gift Gun Ideas For Son

1,731 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by texag06ish
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son just finished Nuclear Power School in Charleston SC graduating Top 5 in his class. He's off to Prototype Training and I'm beginning to research a gun for a gift.

I was thinking a 1911 would be great, but he's also showing interest in hunting so a good rifle is in the equation as well

Any reason to not overthink it for an all around rifle and stick with a 30-.06? My first rifle was an .06 and I can reload for it.
AgLA06
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

My son just finished Nuclear Power School in Charleston SC graduating Top 5 in his class. He's off to Prototype Training and I'm beginning to research a gun for a gift.

I was thinking a 1911 would be great, but he's also showing interest in hunting so a good rifle is in the equation as well

Any reason to not overthink it for an all around rifle and stick with a 30-.06? My first rifle was an .06 and I can reload for it.

Maybe ask him. It's something he'll want to cherish, let him help guide the process.
Deerdude
-06 fan here. Son buys all these latest new caliber rifles, carbon and synthetic. Give me some nice wood for stock and blued barrel. Those are the true works of art.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Deerdude said:

-06 fan here. Son buys all these latest new caliber rifles, carbon and synthetic. Give me some nice wood for stock and blued barrel. Those are the true works of art.

That's where I lean. He's a nuke, he can buy his next rifles in synthetic if he wants. But to me there's not much nicer than a pretty wood stocked rifle.

HumbleAg04
AG
Nice 1911 makes sense. Let him pick a rifle and glass.
bowhuntr
Something to think about as someone who was stationed at most naval installations. He likely won't be able to use his rifle much anywhere but back home. It will probably live in your safe. Perhaps save that for his gift when he gets out of the Navy, whenever that might be and get him something he could use at his first duty station. But wood stock is my vote…

TX_COWDOC
AG
Get him a 1911 and get it engraved.
I'm doing a couple for some customers.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
BenderRodriguez
AG
Nuclear power school is no joke.

Congrats to both you and your son.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Thank you sir! He's really hoping to get selected for Annapolis in the next class. If not, it's off to the fleet with a fat bonus.

Definitely smarter than his ag major father
Cibalo
There is not a prettier rifle than a Weatherby Mark V deluxe. They used to be made in 30-06 but not any more.

Still I would lean towards a nice pistol like a 1911 or 2011
Ctree
1911, upgraded Sig P320 M17/18 or Sig P226. I got the Sig P320 M17 as a gift.
Mas89
AG
Sig P226 MK25. It's already got the Navy emblem on it. Great shooting gun.
vmiaptetr
AG
That $100k reenlistment bonus is gonna be nice. It's probably more now.
Gunny456
AG
I can not give you enough blue stars. This.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
vmiaptetr said:

That $100k reenlistment bonus is gonna be nice. It's probably more now.

He's looking at $75k bonus after school before even hitting the fleet.
Gunny456
AG
Check out Parkwest Arms. Built in South Dakota. (Used to be Dakota Arms)
Look at the SD-76 Series. They make four versions of that series that are some of the most beautiful wood stocked rifles you have ever seen. Can get in any caliber and cartridge you want.
But prepare for sticker shock!
I looked at them at the big Weinenmacher Gun Show in Tulsa and they were truly works of art and craftsmanship.
Buck Compton
AG
Just understand that you're likely going to have to store this firearm for him for awhile, rifle or pistol. He's not going to be able to take it everywhere as a new enlisted man.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Just make sure he invests it, so it can work for him, and not immediately spend it on a new truck…cough…speaking from experience.

Maybe a nice Les Baer 1911.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
This kid has hardly gone off base since he's been there, gets up at 0400 to PT on his own, has volunteered for things on weekends, and has done pretty much nothing but study. He's way more squared away than I could have ever dreamed of being at that age
EriktheRed
AG
I always think a nice over/under Shotgun makes a good gift for something like this, but I also love shotguns...soooo. Any considerations there?? Always nice to have a good o/u to pull out.
Vegas-aggie
AG
I thought I had the perfect gift, but I checked and …. nope, you can't get him a nuclear weapon. Bummer !

(And, congrats to you and your son)
Deerdude
Vegas-aggie said:

I thought I had the perfect gift, but I checked and …. nope, you can't get him a nuclear weapon. Bummer !

(And, congrats to you and your son)

Dam ATF, can really be a pain
Bird Poo
AG
If you think he'll settle and hunt in Texas, how about a lifetime hunting license?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Bird Poo said:

If you think he'll settle and hunt in Texas, how about a lifetime hunting license?

There's really no telling. His mother recently moved to Arkansas. He's very likely to make the Navy a career, so he'll be all over the place.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
https://www.kygunco.com/category/new-handguns/semi-auto?brand=dan-wesson&caliber=10mm&availability=instock
AZAG08
AG
bowhuntr said:

Something to think about as someone who was stationed at most naval installations. He likely won't be able to use his rifle much anywhere but back home. It will probably live in your safe. Perhaps save that for his gift when he gets out of the Navy, whenever that might be and get him something he could use at his first duty station. But wood stock is my vote…

Since it will live in your safe make sure its something you will enjoy too!
Taz1991
I would like to say "Congratulations" and "Thank you" to your son. You and your family must be very proud of him.

God Bless.
Apache
AG
Another vote for 1911.
Great job Dad!
Wrecking Crew 21
Congrats!
Aggie 63
MookieBlaylock
AG
a stuffed George Bush that says Nookuler would be a fitting gift
texag06ish
AG
Can you tell me more about your custom engraving?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.