Outdoors
Sponsored by

Getting into bow hunting

1,822 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by lhAggie16
lhAggie16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really wanting to hunt more and closer to Fort Worth and think bow hunting could help me out. Any advice for getting a setup together? Anything to avoid? Anything I absolutely need?

Thanks in advance
AgEng06
AG
lhAggie16 said:

I'm really wanting to hunt more and closer to Fort Worth and think bow hunting could help me out. Any advice for getting a setup together? Anything to avoid? Anything I absolutely need?

Thanks in advance

I'd start with a bow and some arrows.
whitespikes06
AG
Tons of stuff to recommend but if I had to say one outside of the obvious Bow (with needed accessories), Arrows, Release - it would be a quality rangefinder.
SteveBott
AG
Based on various OB threads the phone number for a guy with good dog trackers.
ought1ag
AG
quiet clothes
lhAggie16
AG
All good on the camo front, thankfully.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
He said quiet. Make sure your camo clothes you have now are quiet otherwise you'll stretch your leg or bend over to grab bow and every deer in the area will bust you (slightly dramatic)
plarmigan
AG
Find a good reputable bow shop. They are worth their weight in gold, especially for someone new starting out. If you are close to Fort Worth I highly recommend Legacy Archery.

https://www.legacyarcherydfw.com/
arrow
SquirrellyDan
AG
Pulled out the old bow the other day and forgot how much I enjoyed it.

I always used a single pin sight. Now I'm seeing these sites with built in range finders. Anyone used one before or have a recommendation?
lhAggie16
AG
I'll stop by there tomorrow!
raidernarizona
SteveBott said:

Based on various OB threads the phone number for a guy with good dog trackers.

This comment reminds me of the folks who complain about cyclists being on the road. It feels like it's in the same vein, since it's the ones who are usually just too damn lazy to get off their ass or put in the extra work that complain. Rifle hunters wound deer also.
plarmigan
AG
Awesome. Be sure to report back on this thread and let us know how it went
44mAG
AG
You will need patience, a lot of patience. Don't release that arrow until things are absolutely perfect to allow for a lethal shot.
JKAG10
AG
Finding a good bow shop that will let you shoot different brands/models is a great way to figure out what you like. Don't be opposed to buying a used bow. Lots of people think they want to get into it and don't practice or never use it. Resale value is crap so you can usually find a good bow for a lot less than a new one.
raidernarizona
Do you have a budget?

If you really want to get into archery. My advice is to buy the nicest bow you can afford. The draw cycle, grip, everything about the bow will be more enjoyable and you'll have more fun shooting, which means you'll shoot more and be more effective with your weapon.

Doesn't sound like you intend to buy a package bow from Cabela's, so be prepared to open your wallet.
After you pick a bow that feels the best to you, you'll need a rest, a sight, a stabilizer (possibly front and back), a quiver, a release, arrows and a target. It adds up quickly but it's 100% worth it. Getting up in a tree with a bow is so much more enjoyable and rewarding!
hunterjr81
I've been wanting to get back into bow hunting as it's been over a dozen years since I have last done it. The one time I actually pulled back on a decent 8 point, the adrenaline spike of the situation caused me to somehow shake so much the arrow was just rattling on the metal rest of the bow. It's laughable now but yea I didn't get a shot off since I alerted him.
lhAggie16
AG
Definitely not just looking for a Cabela's package. Willing to spend the money to do it right the first time but trying to stay under $1700. It feels like that's doable but I guess I'll find out today.
CS78
Ill add in a couple thoughts on arrows. No need to spend the money on match grade arrows for hunting.

Don't just buy 6. You'll lose 1-2, break 1-2, and then you're struggling to have enough to hunt with and right back in the bow shop trying to get more of the same.
Marooned1994
Keep it simple and concentrate more on shooting form than gadgets. Gear will not mask bad form when it comes to accuracy. And practice, practice, practice. The thing I love about archery is I can walk out my back door and shoot any time I want.
plarmigan
AG
$1,700 is definitely doable. Get the best bow you can (flagship from mathews, hoyt, bowtech). You can always upgrade everything else later on as you get more experience and learn what works, what's important to you etc. The only thing I would prob splurge on is a QAD or Hamskea drop away rest since you'll prob definitely end up upgrading from a whisker biscuit anyway. No need for a fancy sight starting out. Things like stabilizers, quiver, bow case, targets, etc can be purchased online later and for prob cheaper if you start pushing your budget initially. Walk out of there with a tuned bow with rest, sight, release, arrows.

As far as arrows go anything in a .03 straightness will work perfect. Give a hard look at the Easton Sonics (made in US). One of the best arrows for the $ right now.
plarmigan
AG
I'll add one more thing. When they are getting you setup really focus on getting the draw length and peep position feeling as perfect as possible. Will save you lots of headaches later on. When they say, does the peep circle and sight circle line up perfectly be as detailed as possible about it. Not, yeah that seems close. Really dial it in. Those guys are pros and will take as long as it needs to in order to get everything perfect. Allocate enough time and don't be in a rush
JKAG10
AG
Plarmigan mentioned buying a bow case later. You definently can. But if I'm shelling out $1700 for a new bow I'm going to want it in a good case ASAP. I wouldn't fool with soft cases. Get a hard case like an SKB. That way if you drop it you'll have confidence that the bow is fine. Nothing worse than getting somewhere to hunt and somethings off because it's been bumped.
plarmigan
AG
I don't necessarily disagree, but he's not staying within $1,700 with a $300 SKB. A $35 Plano protector on amazon could hold him over until he is able to buy something better. He won't be hunting starting out and driving to and from the range or wherever he practices he should be fine. I've used one before with no issues. It all comes down to budget

SKB 4318 is the best case for the $ IMO ($289) and what I would buy
harge57
AG
Go used! Try to find a complete package. Accessories will add up.
txagB2
AG
I got into bow hunting in 2017, and bought a Bear archery package bow from Basspro. I did shoot it there before I bought it, but spent something like 500 bucks on it.

7 years later I have killed 6 deer with it and am still hunting with it this season. I am going to upgrade after this season. I say all that to say this, if you have an unlimited budget and can drop 1700 bucks on a style of hunting you may not enjoy good for you, but arrows, broad heads, releases, lighted nocks, camouflage, stands, saddles, on and on get expensive. My 500 dollar bow kills deer and made the entry cost more manageable for me.
lhAggie16
AG
Thanks for the input. Obviously don't want to spend more than I have to. I unfortunately have an expensive taste and am a firm believer in buy once, cry once.

I don't think not enjoying that hunting will be an issue but never considered that a possibility…
highvelocity
AG
you'll read alot of covering your scent is alot more important while bow hunting that it is rifle hunting. you dont want to walk through the area where you know deer are going to be coming through / walking into. wash clothes in scent free detergent.

most importantly hunt a good wind - you may get one good shot at the buck you're after. if you try to hunt on a bad wind, you could ruin your chances at ever seeing him again if he gets wind of you.
suburban cowboy
AG
Find a Pro Shop
Practice: build a practice setup at your home if you can
Archery Talk: their classifieds board has lots of like new great gear and equipment at less than retail
lhAggie16
AG
Made my way to legacy archery yesterday and the guys hooked me up. There was a used Matthew's Lift with custom strings that someone bought and nearly immediately returned so I shot it a few times and felt great. We built a quote out for a fully loaded up bow and bow to stay around the $1700 number, and had to cut the stabilizer. Excited for the new opportunities to come!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome! Practice a lot and be prepared for some busts in the blind but once you connect on your first bow kill, you don't really want to shoot something with your rifle anymore.
raidernarizona
You've got it upside down!
raidernarizona
Sweet first bow!!! Enjoy!
AgEng06
AG
Congrats!

And I like the way you do business. You asked how to get into archery and less than 48 hours later you've jumped in feet first with a top of the line setup. Love it!
lhAggie16
AG
Still have to grab arrows and a case but can't wait to get out and hunt. Looking at pigs or doe meat hunt on the NM State weekend. Time to get some practice in!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.