Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hornady gives the finger to Kevin and the 8.6 Blackout?

2,131 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Cibalo
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They just rolled out the Sub-X ammo. Pros and cons. I can see the benefits of both the 338 ARC and 8.6 Blackout but the lack of SAAMI is hurting the 8.6 and I think Hornady holds a lot weight on the approval board.

OneMoonGoon92
AG
Its not the same thing and this is why Hornady pulled out of the partnership with KB. Its on an AR15 platform not the AR10 and each has their plusses and minus'. I got on the 86 train pretty early and have had challenges with the first barrel being too tight and had that exchanged. Additionally, the early ammo wasnt the best. For me, it doesnt move the needle but for those that just need an upper to run this, it might be the ticket to the large bullets craze. I only hunt with mine so it wont kill anything more dead than what I already have. My setup is ultralight so the AR15 thing isnt a concern for me. Im sure it will cool for the folks that have the itch for something like this.
mhnatt
Kevin responded. I have a little room in the safe and plan on using them both.

tk111
AG
mhnatt said:

Kevin responded. I have a little room in the safe and plan on using them both.

I'm sure Kevin's predictable, tired, schtick will really help his case.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Would bet on Hornady winning over Q.

Looks like an interesting round but I'm not going to be an early adopter. 300blk, 5.56 and 6.5G are still my preferred small frame options.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I like the idea of it and will buy a barrel. But I think they should have done a faster twist like 1/5.

Kevin may suck, and 1/3 is too fast for most bullets, but my 8.6 does mind boggling things on animals.
meggy09
AG
Can you articulate why you think they should've done 1:5?
CactusThomas
AG
This guy is hilarious. "And that's why you've never heard of 6.8spc"

Surely he knows his target audience is the queerest of gear queers. There is not a single person who has watched that video who hasn't shot 6.8 spc before.

What a piece of work.
mhnatt
meggy09 said:

Can you articulate why you think they should've done 1:5?

It seems there's merit in the spin energy adding to the terminal performance of the 8.6blk going with a fast spin. I'm guessing 1:3 is too fast for integrity and I seem to recall earlier in the year during the SAAMI meeting (hearsay) Hornady pushing 1:5 as a more reasonable balance for the 8.6.
Cibalo
This seems like a pretty cool round. I'd like to see some more ballastic tables on the sub and super first.

Probably going to follow how it performs with the early adopters and get some real feedback.

Did a quick search and seems like only the reloading equipment is for sale. The barrels are still coming soon with the shortest being 12.5"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.