Outdoors
Sponsored by

Smoking a whole pig (wild pig) - Anyone done this?

4,566 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by rlb28
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I shot a small 45-50lb pig with my bow over the weekend and decided to cape and gut it. I've got it sitting in my freezer and am going to smoke it on Saturday on the Traeger cause why not?

Bonus pic right after arrow hit:

I've done a little bit of research on my own and it looks like injecting with an Apple Juice or something similar that is mildly acidic is recommended and then coat with favorite seasoning. Looks like 275 for 7-8 hrs and mop it with apple juice or whatever every hour or so is ideal. Then wrap in foil for an hour or two.

Anyone have experience or recommendations on this? I'm not hosting a bunch of folks over just for this meal so if it turns out like crap, it's really just a loss of the pellets and my time spent on it. I've got plenty of other small pigs to shoot this year so just trying to see if it's worth it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Troglodyte
AG
I've done it several times, but its been awhile. I remember that it always took longer than we thought. We would do while we were at the ranch, so we mostly used bloody mary mix.
Htownag11
AG
No advice, but report back
B-1 83
AG
Any way to wet brine it overnight?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
theJonatron
AG
We used orange juice marinade that was mixed with lime, chili, garlic, and jalepenos on one that size and it came out fantastic

Normally, we only do this for pigs about half that size and you won't need anything other than your go to seasoning

Make sure to shave it...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think it will fit in a 5 gal bucket or something similar so absolutely.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I actually completely caped it out. There is no skin at all on this thing…
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just inject Bloody Mary mix into the pig? That sounds easy!
Troglodyte
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Just inject Bloody Mary mix into the pig? That sounds easy!
Yes. We would inject it. We would also typically smoke it in a aluminum pan (open) or on aluminum foil. So, we would mop/bast with the Bloody Mary mix.

Wild hogs don't have the fat that your pork shoulders do.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How are you going to wrap that in foil?
cledus6150
AG
I cut'em down the back bone so I have two halves as they lay on the pit better. When I do it I use the same seasonings I use for pork butt, salt, coarse pepper, garlic powder cayenne, and brown sugar. Then spritz every 30-45 minutes with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider.
bmfvet
AG
cledus6150 said:

I cut'em down the back bone so I have two halves as they lay on the pit better. When I do it I use the same seasonings I use for pork butt, salt, course pepper, garlic powder cayanne, and brown sugar. Then spritz every 30-45 minutes with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider.

This. I use a sawzall to split, use your favorite seasoning for pork, and keep it moist. Usually only bones left when we do it.
‘99
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So literally split it in half? Sounds like a good idea just want to make sure I understand correctly
Shoefly!
AG
B-1 83 said:

This!
normaleagle05
AG
If you have the injector laying around I'd inject it with marinade whether you wet brine or not, though I'd do both. And I would make the injection marinade a 5-8% or heavier salt brine.
agcrock2005
AG
Check out Jesse Griffiths. He owns Dai Due in Austin and specializes in wild game. He won a James Beard award and has an entire book about preparing wild hog. Has several videos on YT as well if you're interested in it.
alittleright
look up mojo crillo marinade recipes.
Rattler12
Shoefly! said:

B-1 83 said:

This!
I've done several for different Thanksgiving family get togethers and brined them overnight in an ice chest with ice added. If you have a spare fridge you could probably dry brine it in a garbage bag. And as some else said it will take longer than you think.

bmfvet
AG
I split the 40+ pounders in half so it will fit on my smoker, the smaller ones I've done whole.
‘99
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks! I'm pretty sure this guy will fit whole in the Traeger. I'll plan on brining it Friday and then smoking Saturday. I'll report back on how it tastes! I appreciate everyone's help!
Ag_07
AG
No advice on cooking it but I highly recommend soaking that thing in ice/water for a few days prior.

Throw it in a big ice chest and throw as many bags of ice on it as you can fit. Every day drain the water and throw new ice on.

Do that for a few days and you'll be good to go.
Shoefly!
AG
Awesomeness!!!
hondotex03
AG
What is the purpose of this process?
Ag_07
AG
Just gets rid of some of that bad gaminess that hogs tend to have. Leaves you with cleaner tasting meat.
HarleySpoon
AG
I found that making sure you smoke the ones that the buzzards will also eat are much better than eating the ones that the buzzards will not touch. Seems obvious…..but keep clear of the ones the buzzards won't eat.

Trapped five this morning….they are starting their cold journey to an expensive restaurant in France. All were buzzard worthy so none were wasted.
hondotex03
AG
I've heard of / tried similar pre-cook methods to remove gaminess, but can't say I've had one that really works.

The best seems to be size limitation. Over 75 lbs and you're have that game taste.
Hoosegow
Cooked several small ones on the pit. They turned out really good. We tried cooking one in the ground. The one we cooked in the ground didn't cook all the way through and was cold. That one was for a big group. We were all drunk. Everyone but me and my buddy ate it. We looked at each other and didn't touch it. Once everyone ate, we put it on the pit and finished it up. It was pretty good after that.

I won't be cooking another in the ground. Pit - no worries.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I find that a meal always tastes better after the rest of the camp is dead from trichinosis
ttha_aggie_09
AG
True but tape worms are the original Ozempic/Wegovy and help shed some unwanted weight
Rattler12
A lot of that gamey taste is from blood still in the meat. If one were able to trap a hog, stun it then hang, cut the throat and let it bleed out the meat will not be quite as gamey. A lot of folks don't know what goes on in some local slaughterhouses. I worked for the state as a meat inspector back in the day and the two slaughter houses in my assigned area along the border stunned the cattle and hogs, hung them up by their hind legs, cut their jugular and let them bleed to death. They even saved the cattle blood and sold it across the border.
TarponChaser
Rattler12 said:

Shoefly! said:

B-1 83 said:

This!
I've done several for different Thanksgiving family get togethers and brined them overnight in an ice chest with ice added. If you have a spare fridge you could probably dry brine it in a garbage bag. And as some else said it will take longer than you think.

Gotta leave the head on so you still get the cheeks and ears.
BBQ
AG
I thought that is how it is supposed to be done. That how Popo "grandpa" taught me
Farmari Bojuji
Ag_07
AG
Yes size is a factor but I do this to even the small ones.

I usually bathe it in ice for at least a couple days. Just keep draining, icing, draining, icing.

The meat not only tastes better but it just cleaner all around.
Black Tooth Grin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes size is a factor but I do this to even the small ones.

I usually bathe it in ice for at least a couple days. Just keep draining, icing, draining, icing.

The meat not only tastes better but it just cleaner all around.
This is the way.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'll start soaking tomorrow. I appreciate it!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.