Outdoors
Sponsored by

Talk about a close call

3,188 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Matsui
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This evening I go sit in the blind to try and kill pigs that were running all the deer off. We hunt out of ground blinds made of t post, cattle panel, and burlap. It was 98 here today, so I was sitting in shorts, a ss shirt, and sneakers. I typically keep pants and boots in the truck in case I need to go into brush.

I've been having issues with javelina and pigs at this stand but one feeder is pretty far so I brought a gun along.

About 6:45 a buck comes out and stares at a javelina that's been screwing around running deer off. Multiple
Deer including this buck came but wouldn't eat. Pissed me off.

The javelina is close, like 27 yds so I decide to shoot him w my bow.

Well, go to get my bow and there is a ****ing rattlesnake in the stand with me, about 18" to my left, crawling towards the front of the blind. He was definitely not in there when I got in the stand

I instinctively bailed out of the back door, which is just a doubled over piece of burlap. I ran to the truck, got my snake boots, and headed back to the stand. If he was in there I was going to have to get my gun, which was literally 6" from the snake.

I went around the front and threw a rock up against the cattle panel to see if he was still in there, and he started buzzing immediately.

Went around to the back, reached in, and pulled the chair towards the back. I hopped up on the chair, grabbed my 22, and unleashed. I must have shot him 10x.

After I drug him out and processed what happened/could have I felt sick to my stomach. I am extremely lucky.

Needless to say, I'll be wearing my boots now on regardless of temps.

FJB
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
New hat band and how long should and what temp to smoke?
techno-ag
AG
"You've got to watch your step when the chips are down"

-Cow Patty
88agswin
AG
Holy cow. I would have needed toilet paper and new shorts.
bam02
AG
That's an old granddaddy rattler!
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
62", he is taller than you Tandy!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pretty sure the snake was intimidated by those thunder thighs
OnlyForNow
AG
What scope do you have on your 22?

Do you wanna paint mine?
TX_COWDOC
AG
Whoa!
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
giddings_ag_06
AG
That snake will make 4 hatbands for you.

Congrats on surviving though.

If you look close at the snake, you're still shaking in this picture.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The good news is that the javelina lived to see another day.
Gig 'em! '90
tandy miller
AG
I don't doubt it. I was pretty rattled (pun intended)
FJB
tandy miller
AG
OnlyForNow said:

What scope do you have on your 22?

Do you wanna paint mine?

It's a primary arms 1-6. I don't really paint stuff for other ppl (I'm afraid they won't like it), but I'd be more than happy to walk u through exactly what I did and the colors I used
FJB
tmaggies
Furlock Bones
AG
I thought I told this story on here. But, I cannot find it now. A couple of years ago I was working on a job when the scheduled crews didn't show up. So, I snuck out to the lease to check on some stuff. I had left my pop up blind out there from the prior season. Normally, I always pick it up and reset it the next season.

Anyway, I step into the popup blind. I am reaching out to pick up the chair that had fallen over. Notice something move near my hand as I grab the chair. Quickly jump back. Damned near had a heart attack. It's a rattler right where I was reaching.

Thank the lord it had been a crisp morning and the blind was in the trees so it was still cold in there. So, that snake wasn't moving very quickly. I kept thinking oh my god. I was this close to something truly bad happening and my wife does not even know I am out here.

I am much more vigilant about stepping into a ground blind now.

AnScAggie
AG
Glad you didn't decide to swivel your chair or stretch your legs before you saw it. Wear your boots from now on.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I think every bow hunter should be required to carry a single shot 410. Would make all our wives and/or girlfriends happier.
tandy miller
AG
Yeah I got incredibly lucky. No more complacency when it comes to snakes. I'm here by myself, 2 + miles from the gate, and another 20 min to pearsall.

It could have been bad
FJB
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

62", he is taller than you Tandy!
I was going to make a joke before I saw the measurement about, "big deal a 4 footer"
giddings_ag_06
AG
Quite the risk. You're convincing me crocs may not be the way to go when I bow hunt. I'm not in rattler land, but plenty of copperheads.
tandy miller
AG
I knew I had to measure it for that exact reason
FJB
tandy miller
AG
New belt coming soon

FJB
nealan
Nice Tudor
nealan
Who would make a belt like that? Sounds awesome
WaldoWings
That's a nice kill! big ole sucker!!
GasPasser97
AG
Nice buck!
AnScAggie
AG
tandy miller said:

New belt coming soon

My ranch manager own's the snake shop in Freer if you don't already have someone to make the belt for you.
TheAggiesAreWe03
AG
tandy miller said:

This evening I go sit in the blind. We hunt out of ground blinds made of t post, cattle panel, and burlap. It was 98 here today, so I was sitting in shorts, a ss shirt, and sneakers. I typically keep pants and boots in the truck in case I need to go into brush.

Who else was trying to figure out what an ass shirt is the first time they read this?! I can't be the only one!
smstork1007
AG
I didn't want to know, figured it was just a tandy thing.
normaleagle05
AG
Ground blind, just sounds nasty...
B-1 83
Yesterday
AG
All of my blinds are elevated that way when I have to run from a rattler I'll just break my neck on the way down.
barnag
Good grief man glad you're okay!
Claude!
Glad you didn't get bit; Chester worries enough.

I don't know if it's the angle, the lighting, or the look on your face, but the pic of you holding up the snake looks like something out of a Wes Anderson film.
McInnis
AG
Dang, what a story! I wonder if that rattler was trying to get away from the javelina?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.