Outdoors
Sponsored by

DIY Workbench Designs

2,233 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cromagnum
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved to a new home and have 15 feet to play with in a giant garage to make a workbench. I like the simplicity of this design, but might make a 12 foot version and put an additional layer of "sacrificial" plywood on top. Any other designs you guys like, or suggestions before I buy all my materials this weekend?

UnderoosAg
AG
Built mine similar but set the bottom shelf back a bit from the front. I can sit at it on a stool like a bar to clean guns, drink, F around, tinker, etc without banging my shins.

Also added this wheel setup to be able to move it for projects or cleaning.

Jason_Roofer
Based on how I use mine, I built mine like in the YouTube but my top is made from 2x12. They are over 36" deep. I like the m Dee so I have room for tools or storage. I have two shops with the same build. I don't believe in sacrificial tops. Just put a good top and you'll be fine. One shop is used for "cleaner" stuff, soldering, sharpening knives, starting seeds. The other shop is used for dropping small engines on, opening carburetors, beating on antique tractor parts, it's covered in stains and grease, gasoline, etc. I've had it 5 years and it's beat up. I like it, personally. These are tools and I'm working on something daily so it's not going to stay pristine.

Build the legs out of 4x4 or 4x6. Weight is your friend. Make your top out of 2x8 or something beefy and you'll be happy. Use structural screws where you can. If you just have to have a top, toss on 3/4" plywood. Also, I'm over 6' tall so I built my benches so my hands are just above waste level. It's too tall for most everyone else but it makes it comfortable so that might be something you want to consider.

Just my opinions.
Cibalo
I built mine without a bottom shelf so I can put somw of the bigger items under it like air compressor and power washer. I put a formica laminate sheet on the work area. This helps to keep getting splinters, damaging the top, and makes it easier to clean. I also built a 1 foot wide top shelf for more storage.
schmellba99
AG
Only build it as deep as you can reach. Deeper than that and it becomes a clutter space where things go to disappear and pile up.

I have hardboard on the top of mine, provides a smooth surface but is hard and durable as well. It will eventually wear out but it can be replaced and I build the ones I use going on 15 years ago now, so it's pretty durable.

The wheel idea above is great if you actually use it and move your bench around. Spend a lot of time on getting the height correct, too high or too low and you don't like it after a short period of time. Mine are the same heigh as the Craftsman work bench my wife bought me, which I think is about 32". I'll also say that smaller is better than bigger, at least in my experience. I had a huge one that has been chopped down a couple of times now. At least with me, the more room you have, the more space gets taken up with things. Admittedly, I'm horrible about that though and you may not be.
1988PA-Aggie
Just a few thoughts:

How deep (front to back) are you going? I like a deeper bench for more surface area, but balance it with the ability to reach the back wall (tool rack, electric)

Plans for a vise? Woodworking type? General? Why not both?

Plan for holes for bench dogs or other clamping aids.

Any plan/need for drawers?

I like the idea of a shelf underneath as your video shows. It helps stabilize/strengthen it, a convenient place for the recycling bucket for the beer cans, and serves as a foot rest, just set it back a bit (depending on your countertop's overhang) so you don't bang your shins.
normalhorn
Cromagnum said:

Just moved to a new home and have 15 feet to play with in a giant garage to make a workbench. I like the simplicity of this design, but might make a 12 foot version and put an additional layer of "sacrificial" plywood on top. Any other designs you guys like, or suggestions before I buy all my materials this weekend?

I first began woodworking 13 years ago when I bought my first home. I built a table using the Simpson Strong Tie table kit. It's held up flawlessly.
I fully suggest building no more than 8 feet, to minimize and unnecessary joints. As well, the sacrificial countertop is a great idea. I've replaced mine twice. I didn't over engineer mine, but it could stand up to some rough work. The only problem I've had is keeping my wife from cluttering it when she walks into the house and leaves kids toys and coffee cups/granola bars/hairbands/empty ChickFilA trash on top of it!
I'd also add, with 15 feet of space, maybe look at building a few smaller, rotating/flip style tables to hold miter saw, table saw/planer/jointer, whatever.
agracer
AG
I put a melamine top on mine and like it a lot more than just plain wood. Durable, smooth and cleans up pretty ease. Would also suggest a backsplash 3" tall or so to keep stuff from falling off the back, because the wall is never square and despite how small the crack is between the benchtop and the wall, objects that have no business fitting down that gap will go all bat like and fall back there never to be found gain...."Now WTF did that 12mm socket go?!?!?!"
Cromagnum
AG
1988PA-Aggie said:

Just a few thoughts:

How deep (front to back) are you going? I like a deeper bench for more surface area, but balance it with the ability to reach the back wall (tool rack, electric)

I like the idea of a shelf underneath as your video shows. It helps stabilize/strengthen it, a convenient place for the recycling bucket for the beer cans, and serves as a foot rest, just set it back a bit (depending on your countertop's overhang) so you don't bang your shins.

Open to recommendations on depth. 2 feet?
I am going to put a vice on it eventually.
Clamping places is a good idea.
Don't need drawers or cabinet closures necessarily.
UnderoosAg
AG
I had a vise on mine and ultimately took it off. It's handy, but always seem to get in the way when doing woodworking or anything where I needed th whole benchtop. Mine lives against the wall, but I put it out in the middle of the garage when working to have access all around. If I started over, I would also have added a couple of small tool shelves just below the top - someplace to put a tape measure, screws, hand tools, etc when I had something taking up all of the top.

+1 on making sure you get the height right. I found an older architectural reference or some such that the height should be something like halfway between your elbow and wrist. Try it out before you build it. I also built a table saw stand to where my bench can be used as an outfeed table.
javajaws
AG
I go with a multi-pronged approach. I have a "real" woodworking workbench - made out of thick maple with woodworking vises, etc. I also have a welding table on wheels. Then I have a row of cabinets I made with pull-out drawers and a melamine top. Dedicated wall cabinets also allow me to have dedicated upper wall cabinets above them so lots of storage.
Jason_Roofer
Cromagnum said:

1988PA-Aggie said:

Just a few thoughts:

I went 34" on mine, or whatever 3 2x12 laid side by side is. Also, for the vice, I welded a base that bolts to my work bench, then I made bases for my grinders and vices. Each 'base' has a square tube welded to it so you can pull one off and slide in another. That way it's easy to lock in a vice or swap it out for a grinder, or remove both altogether. The other benefit to this is that my vice 'hangs' over the bench so I can get stuff away from the bench. Sometimes my stuff is so big it just won't work if the vice is mounted to the bench.
Cibalo
I went 36" on mine so I could then use the 12" cutoff for a top shelf. This way I only needed 1 sheet of plywood and used it all up.
Cromagnum
AG
Cibalo said:

I went 36" on mine so I could then use the 12" cutoff for a top shelf. This way I only needed 1 sheet of plywood and used it all up.

3 feet isn't too deep to be able to reach the back of easily?
Cibalo
Not for me. I have peg board on the back and things hanging off of it. The key is to get the height of the table right so you can lean over it some and extend your arms but not too low that you are hunched over.
jtp01
AG
I built my bench in my shop with a shelf on the bottom and my top is 2 sheets of 3/4"MDF.

Essentially when the top is sufficiently destroyed I can pull the screws from the bottom and replace just the top layer.

It's PLENTY heavy. I also built a 4'x8' table with the same construction at the exact same height and I can maneuver things around if they are too big for the table or too wide for the bench.

It's cluttered to hell right now with a 76' f100 restoration project I'm working on with my son (has slowed dramatically with football season upon us). We have junior high football with my youngest on Thursday, oldest plays on a top 5 ranked (in 2 A football) team on Friday nights and Saturday is for the Ags.

But we built my shop to work on things. So if my benches are cluttered and my boys remember tinkering with dad when they are my age then I'll consider it a success.
1988PA-Aggie
Cromagnum said:

1988PA-Aggie said:

Just a few thoughts:

Comfort is the priority. Use your kitchen countertop as a guide. Kitchens will have a 36" countertop height and usually 25" or so deep. Not sure how tall you are, but a good working height is important, then plan the depth, be it comfort to reach the back wall or economical use of materials.
pull-mark-bird
If you wrench vehicles, as well. If I could get do over on my workbench. I would build in my roller cabinet underneath my work bench.

Since you have 12 feet to work with, can easily get (2) 56" roller cabinet underneath.

if you want butcher block top, IKEA or Floor&Decor tends to have the good prices for 8 footers. If you have one close by.
Cromagnum
AG
Went with a 12 foot design that's similar to video posted in OP. I dropped the lower shelf to the floor to maximize space. Right now the build is upside down but I have it all framed up.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.