Outdoors
Sponsored by

Advise about a drone

999 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Picard
Vegas-aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's been a drone flying over the deer land Friday night and last night. Could be before that, but a friend of mine took video of it both nights. Is it legal to take a shotgun and shoot it down next time? I can't think of any logical reason except poachers doing it. And, I doubt they would call the sheriff since they would need to explain why they were using it. Would a game warden do anything for us? What do y'all think?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
SSS
texAZtea
AG
AFAIK you own the airspace above your land to a certain, low, altitude.

One issue with shooting drones is they have cameras that save their footage on another device. They will likely have footage of you shooting them down. Drones aren't cheap.

How does the law balance that? No clue. You're going to get very opinionated people from both sides very soon on this thread.
Muzzleblast
My drone stores the video on a chip that's resident on the drone.
I'd call the Game Warden to get answers on what's legal.
PharmD4
AG
- Get a drone of your own
- follow it back to its owner
- post pics of owner/vehicle LP etc here
- accept your nomination for top OB thread 2024
mhnatt
Not only is it a huge felony (FAA looks at this supposedly not much different than shooting at a manned aircraft), but if you could reach it with a shotgun, it is low enough to already identify you. Plus, some drones save cache low res video/images on the mobile device that is controlling them.

I'd go the legal way on this one.
SweaterVest
AG
Shooting down a drone at any altitude is illegal and has the potential to get you in a serious jam. It is super frustrating, but not worth it.

Maybe it is just poacher who would never report it, or maybe it's CBP surveying for illegal activity.
Absolute
AG
Mine does too, but they can stores video in an uploaded fashion too.

However they can only see where the camera is pointed. On mine the green lights are the front. Shoot from behind and they probably cannot record you.

As someone who uses a drone for work, I don't really advocate just shooting them down, but your assumption seems pretty valid in this case.
tandy miller
AG
texAZtea said:

Drones aren't cheap.

Especially thermal drones
FJB
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Best way to take out a drone is another drone.
CS78
Does anyone know someone that's actually gotten in trouble for this. Reminds me of yesteryears "tampering with mailboxes is a federal offense" without a federal agent within 200 miles.
AgResearch
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Best way to take out a drone is another drone.

Go buy a cheapo and crash it into the other "by accident". Clip a propeller and it will drop like a rock.
bowhuntr
Did it stop and check out your camp or was it on the move, perhaps looking for deer like you suggested? I would think kids if they were trying to get a reaction out of someone on the ground, and I would think poachers if they were quick to get out of the area at the sight of a human on the ground.
JHShipley
AG
CBP has told us that guides are using drones to guide groups of illegals at night down entry routes (pipelines, high lines etc).
agAngeldad
You do not own airspace above your property. Court law has been generally clear about this. The gov/FAA owns airspace. Some counter that with court decisions in the 60's. However, if a drone is hovering over your property, courts have allowed shooting them down as that is considered a privacy issue. Not sure you want to challege that.

Drones are a relatively new issue and court decisions will flip flop over the years until it is unified.

Depending on where you live, some drones can be tracked. You would need to contact the mearest FAA air traffic facility to see if they have capabilities.
"If you got to tell em who you are, you ain't"
Jason_Roofer
Seems these things should be tracked like aircraft on flight aware or something?????

If they can't be, they should be.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
AgResearch
AG
Jason_Roofer said:

Seems these things should be tracked like aircraft on flight aware or something?????

If they can't be, they should be.

Remote ID is a requirement. Not everyone follows it but it is an FAA requirement now to broadcast.
Jason_Roofer
So does that mean you SHOULD be able to figure out who owns it if you know the time and location of the "appearance" of said drone?

If so, that's the route I'd go and then figure out what's going on.

I'm 98% sure I can pop a drone from a fair distance away if it's not moving but the risk of that seems a bit more than I'm comfortable with. On the flip side, I feel like a drone eyeballing my place is up to no good….and I care not who is behind it.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Picard
AG
"I thought it was a dove"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.