Outdoors
Sponsored by

App for eating healthier

722 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by mhnatt
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Outdoor related because we get some of our food from outdoors.

I went to a close friend's funeral (he was only 53), and it has me re-evaluating a lot of things in my life - mostly eating healthier. There are so many bad things in our food.

I found an app called "yuka".

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1092799236

Basically, it is an app that you can take to the grocery store, and scan each barcode. It tells you if there are harmful chemicals in the food (mostly preservatives), or if the food is just not very good for you. I get a lot of my meat from locally sourced producers (My father-in-law for fish, because he goes fishing all the time and local farmers for beef).

I'm hoping to start a food trailer this spring, and use a lot of locally sourced products. I'm clearing out the garden right now to make a fall garden as well as preparing for an herb garden.

My dad died at 59 mostly from being born in the middle of the jungle during World War II in the Philippines and being extremely malnourished and smoking for most of his life. I'd like to live a little bit longer than that.

aggiedata
AG
This app is eye opening. Thanks for sharing.
southernskies
I'd be weary. Who's to say people that have invested in this app don't have ulterior motives. Wouldn't be surprised if they are bought off to be honest. Everybody has a price and I'm sure big food companies can afford to lobby an app.

Best advice is just research ingredients on your own. Or even better, just eat whole foods in their natural state and cook yourself.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Stick to buying items on the outside walls of the store and that's a good first step
VStarr2024
I know that there's a lot of food out there that is full of suspect ingredients that have potential downsides. However, I subscribe to the theory that quantity of food and exercise is far more of a factor in minimizing health issues than the quality of food, and resolving that often overlaps with the quality of the food. Keeping calorie intake in check is the biggest key, and the eating healthier part generally follows to keep the calories in check. I started using Lose It to track calories and lost 40 lbs in 9 months last year while working out for 30-40 min 3 times per week during that time. I had to weather a family tragedy for several months earlier this year for several months and only put a couple pounds back on in all of that and am back down to what I was last year while only being able to work out 2x per week this year. I can't always control the quality of the ingredients, but I can always control the amount of food I intake.
aggiedata
AG
I knew it wasn't great but 0/100 is really bad

mhnatt
It's futile. Dems will have the world messed up soon anyway. So just make sure you know Jesus and enjoy the Whataburger.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.