Outdoors
Sponsored by

Calling mountain lion.

2,633 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by txrancher69
1991sir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have some experience calling in coyotes and bobcats. There has been a mountain lion sighting close to me and I'm interested in trying to call it in. Any advice?
wink1989
AG
Oooh boy, I'm in!!!!
country
AG
Lions will come to any calls that cats will. The two biggest hurdles in calling a lion is it has to be in the area when you call and it has to be hungry when you call. Much easier to get hounds on it within 12 or so hours of a sighting or catch it with steel trap.
brew82
I'd try "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!" first.
1991sir
What are the odds it's still in the area after 48 hours?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Green Machine on here has called one in with a foxpro, we went to HS together. I have heard of it happening but he is the only guy I personally know that has called one in.
AgResearch
AG
Have you tried calling the names of all the yellow labs in the area or shake a bowl of kibble? I'd start there.
txrancher69
AG
They can be called in. Gary Roberson, owner Burnham Bros. predator calls in Menard, has brought several in on his TV show, Carnivore. Cats were cautious but came straight in to the call, obviously attracted by both the sound and movement. In one case a young female actually went up to the call and smelled it closely. He had placed it 40 yards or so in front of him while he was concealed. The cat finally walked away but came back when he altered the volume with his hand held remote. Mountain lions have such large territories I think success is mainly a matter of being lucky enough to have one in hearing distance and in a hunting mode.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
country
AG
1991sir said:

Very low. Hounds won't be able to get on a scent either.
AnScAggie
AG
brew82 said:

I'd try "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!" first.

That's for amateurs, true hunters know the best call is "pspspsps".
giddings_ag_06
AG
Do you happy to be in Frisco or The Woodlands or somewhere like that? Just trying to be 100% on the Id here.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
1991sir said:

Zero unless it is a massive property.

We had a cat problem staring in about October - March. Showed up on camera several times but no sightings in person. Per the recommendation of this board, we had a guy with dogs out twice, including less than 12 hrs from one of the sightings and no luck.

Fortunately, he got on a cat here in last couple of months and killed it about 3 miles away. We're fairly certain it is the same cat. Big ole Tom too.
SanAntoneAg
AG
txrancher69 said:

They can be called in. Gary Roberson, owner Burnham Bros. predator calls in Menard, has brought several in on his TV show, Carnivore. Cats were cautious but came straight in to the call, obviously attracted by both the sound and movement. In one case a young female actually went up to the call and smelled it closely. He had placed it 40 yards or so in front of him while he was concealed. The cat finally walked away but came back when he altered the volume with his hand held remote. Mountain lions have such large territories I think success is mainly a matter of being lucky enough to have one in hearing distance and in a hunting mode.

Indeed he has. It was in New Mexico. He used his company's new FREQ electric call. I think it costs a grand.
Gig 'em! '90
fullback44
AG
If you are serious about getting one, I'd start by looking up and contacting Jake Herak on the show Mountain Men… he knows how to find the big cats. That dude is always treeing them with his dogs. Rich Harris was the old dude who drives the old school truck, he was the original big cat tracker on the show but he eventually got off the show, and Jake kind of took over as the big cat tracker
agfan2013
AG
Where are you located and how sure are you of the ID? If this board has taught me anything, it's that mountain lions are one of the highest wrong sightings out there, hence the yellow lab jokes, etc.

100% confirmed or is this "a friend of a friend of a friend's gamecam"?
khkman22
AG
Did you check the position on the Hot/Crazy matrix before deciding to call it?
StockHorseAg
AG
I've never been able to call in a mountain lion despite trying.

Now cougars on the other hand, that's a different story...
76Ag
AG
Use jewelry for cougars or drive a luxury car. Probably will not work out in the woods but you never know.
1991sir
Fairly certain at minimum it's a huge bobcat. They have video of if and other then it having white tipped ears, the body, everything looks like a cougar. Can't see the tail in the video, but it's either a juvenile mountain lion, or absolute stud of a bobcat. What is weird is it's almost completely tan colored.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's very likely a bobcat. It's not that hard to ID a mountain lion, in my opinion.
country
AG
Bobcat ears are much more pronounced white tip than cougars. Cougars have a tannish tip that may somewhat appear white against a heavier dark/black ring at the base of the ear but it shouldn't take much to see if it's really white or not if the video is clean. I'm guessing cat.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Let's see if this video works:

country
AG
Is that camera anywhere that a dog would be found roaming?

At the 2-3 second mark you can see a tail appear. That rules out cat. But at the 4 second mark its head is silhouetted against the dark and the ears look too long and pointed for cougar. Tough video to tell. I certainly can't rule out cougar from it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That is 100% a mountain lion. Not far from where it was on another camera

country
AG
Well hell if I would have had that picture prior to the video I'd have leaned heavily on a lion as well. As I said on the video only I wouldn't positive ID based on it but I wouldn't rule it out either.
Aggie_2463
AG
Video looks like a lion to me
wink1989
AG
OP, we are waiting to hear or see what your evidence, circumstances are pertaining to this "cat"
LostTexasBoy
AG
Mountain lions don't stay in one area for very long at all. In general, mountain lions are solitary animals except for a brief breeding period which is only 3-5 days long. Other than that, they are constantly moving around their home range. Male home ranges vary from 80 to 200 square miles. Female home ranges are normally 20 to 100 square miles.

I've only seen a mountain lion once and that was almost 25 years ago. I got lucky and there was a pair in the area that was breeding. My dad and I heard them and tried tracking them but could never catch up and we didn't feel like tracking two lions through the Texas brush on foot. Haha. I got lucky and noticed the tracks again the next day near a different blind. Decided to get back up in the stand and call and the female came out.

Duckhook
AG
Here's a pretty cool video of a mountain lion taken by a drone in Olympic National Park. Lion part starts about 5:40 in.

txrancher69
AG
Whoa, that lion is maybe 450 yards away from those people with their campsite and the drone guy herds it right toward them. Cool to see the lion, but not smart work on his part. He should have run it off. Increasing number of interactions with lions since all hunting was stopped. They have grown bolder.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.