Outdoors
Sponsored by

Blackstone repair...

1,108 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by mt3950
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What happened:

A) I suck at anything outdoors and around the house...(man card should be revoked)

Received a Blackstone for Christmas 2022. Did my best to season it...not sure I did the best job. Used it quite a bit in 2022, little less in 2023 and hardly at all in 2024.

Why?
It almost seemed like after each use I may have been cleaning it too well and removing any seasoning bit by bit. The surface is now starting to rust in spots, some more than others. I am now ready to tackle it...sand it, strip it down and start over.

1) Any best practices to get the top cleaned up and ready to season again?
2) How do I make sure it is seasoned well?
3) How do you clean after cooking? How much, if any, water do you use?

am I missing anything else?
Scriffer
AG
This will answer most of your questions. I need to do this in mine, but it's too dang hot.

For cleaning, I spray clean water to break up any leftover bits and scrape them into the grease trap, followed by a wipe down. After it cools a bit, generally as long as it takes to eat whatever I cooked, I put a light coating of oil to hold it over until next time.
Watchful Ag
AG
OP - Don't overthink it. Just sand the rust off the cooktop down to bare metal using a wire brush, sandpaper, or whatever you have on hand that works. Then, coat it with oil and heat it up. Repeat the oil process until you achieve the desired finish. It'll turn out great, good luck!

Ps … my neighbor was throwing his out because it got a little rusty. I took it and cleaned it up within 48 hours. Had his family over shortly after and we were cooking on it

big ben
AG
Wish my neighbors were that dumb
UnderoosAg
AG
big ben said:

Wish my neighbors were that dumb

I get your point, but you really don't. One of my next door neighbors said she put out pet and kid friendly rat poison. Fortunately it was her dumbassedness shining through and it was a sticky box rat trap.
mt3950
AG
Sheesh! You did this in front of his wife??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.